New 24Mp full-frame Nikon Zf mirrorless

6 minutes ago, Gervais Montacute said:

nd will most likely get the newest version when it comes out next year

I hadn't seen that rumour, new lens apparently, can't help wondering why as the improved 23mm f2 on the (impossible to get at a sensible price) X100V seems to be excellent. Seriously hope that they don't go to 40MP but I've got a horrible feeling that marketing wil dictate that they do. Personally I'd like a fixed '50' f2 (so 35mm FX).

Just now, Harry Harrison said:

I hadn't seen that rumour, new lens apparently, can't help wondering why as the improved 23mm f2 on the (impossible to get at a sensible price) X100V seems to be excellent. Seriously hope that they don't go to 40MP but I've got a horrible feeling that marketing wil dictate that they do. Personally I'd like a fixed '50' f2 (so 35mm FX).

I'm not too sure about the tech on that, but 40MP on the current 23mm f2 crop frame might be a bridge too far. AFAIK, you need a really good lens to assimilate 40MP. Hopefully it will be around what it is now.

On 20/09/2023 at 13:00, Harry Harrison said:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-zf-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-review

https://amateurphotographer.com/review/nikon-zf-review/

I think I could probably live with one of these, like a full-frame Fuji X-T? and with high-res multishot as well. The 2013 16MP Nikon Df DSLR tried to do something similar but was just so ugly, Nikon might have cracked it this time.

I think you're right, it's got a nice retro look to it like the old FM2 which I still have! Being full frame so we're able to use our old prime lenses properly is great, looks quite compact like the Fujis and it has all the new tech. Think I'll wait for the price to come down though.

Do you still have your X100?

3 hours ago, Flo Smith said:

Do you still have your X100?

Still got it yes, now that really is retro, very basic but that's the beauty of it, and presumably why influencers and the influenced have made the whole range so hard to get hold of at sensible prices. I think the Zf is probably going to be too sophisticated to appeal to that market, 

19 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Still got it yes, now that really is retro, very basic but that's the beauty of it, and presumably why influencers and the influenced have made the whole range so hard to get hold of at sensible prices. I think the Zf is probably going to be too sophisticated to appeal to that market, 

I've been out of the camera game for a while, I use my X-E1 all the time. That's good news the X100 is popular as I'm thinking of selling it now! You've got your finger on the pulse, what do you think I could get for it? My idea of retro is using manual lenses on the D750 and hopefully the Zf too now. I do like Amy Shore's pics on Instagram, she uses modern Nikon stuff but has a retro feel to them especially at Revival 🙂 

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Best to look at ebay 'sold' really, I've seen people asking £450 for the original but I don't know if they get that, will depend on condition and 'extras' as well I suppose.

Just had a look, £450 would be nice but sold ones are looking more like £350, I do have bits for it though. Merci beaucoup.

On 22/09/2023 at 15:40, Michael Ventura said:

Maybe they are re-branding it.  Got an email from Nikon today with this teaser video attached.

It's a 135 1.8. Looks like a thing of beauty. It's a connoisseur lens. It certainly won't be on my shopping list at that price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2023 at 10:07, MDM said:

If Nikon had not made the switch to mirrorless there would be no Nikon by now. Hybrid mirrorless cameras are what the market wants, hybrid in the sense of video and stills in the one body. Nikon were very late to the mirrorless hybrid market but they are now producing the very best hybrid cameras in the world. Now all they have to do is market and sell them. Nikon as a brand has been well behind Sony and Canon in the market, particularly the younger market, and Nikon needed to break that. Secondhand D800s that last forever are not going to keep Nikon in business. 

Thankfully the future is bright. There are so many amazing features of the Z system, not least the lenses which are in another world in comparison to their F-Mount equivalents - sharper, lighter, faster. The advanced video features of the Z8 and Z9 have Nikon at the forefront of hybrid video technology.

I could go on but not much point as I am not going to change anything. You are obviously stuck in older technology and happy with it so that is fine. Fortunately there should be an abundance of F-Mount lenses and Nikon DSLRs for many years to come. They are still making the D850, the best DSLR ever made in my opinion. But shouting about it in all caps and wishing Nikon had never changed is pointless. The new tech is here and Nikon is alive and kicking powerfully. 

Sorry Michael,

I did not mean to Shout.  I agree with a lot of what you wrote, not all.  What I was really trying to say is that after playing with a Z9 and Z8, the main thing I did not like was the electronic viewfinder.  I do understand why it is better technology, but making images is about more than technology.

Chuck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry Michael,

I did not mean to Shout.  I agree with a lot of what you wrote, not all.  What I was really trying to say is that after playing with a Z9 and Z8, the main thing I did not like was the electronic viewfinder.  I do understand why it is better technology, but making images is about more than technology.

Chuck

No worries Chuck. Apology accepted although I wasn't personally offended anyway. I totally understand what you are saying about technology. Having the newest and most amazing piece of camera kit does not make a photographer. For sure the most important thing for anyone wanting to call themselves a photographer is to have a very good foundation in the craft itself and the knowledge of how to control a camera to obtain the desired results (aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, focus, ISO etc etc) as a basic prerequisite. 

However, the technology is of fundamental importance in determining what we need to obtain the desired results and it's not just about grabbing the newest, shiniest thing on the market. For example, the D800 (including D800E and D810) are absolutely fantastic cameras as you know. I used them for some years for landscape and portrait work among other things, where I was just taking single shots often using manual focus. However, I ran into a wall when trying to use them for anything that involved action, as the autofocus tracking is way too slow for moving subjects, even slow moving ones. Moreover, the buffer sizes are too small so I would find the camera hanging up and refusing to do anything until it had written to the card. That lost me some pictures for sure.

Then the D850 came along and that was and still is amazing technology both in terms of its autofocus tracking and its ability to capture a large number of 45MP raws in the buffer before it would hang. The AF is also excellent in low light. So I embraced the D850, as I was able to do things that I could not do with the previous cameras. It remains the cream of the cream of DSLRs and is still on sale new from Nikon. In fact Nikon have an excellent record of continuing to provide for the older technology, as in keeping F mount compatibility for so long and into the future with adapters, which do work very well on the Z cameras. So the good news is that you have many more years of DSLRs, optical viewfinders and F mount if you want. Unless you take up video, you can quite happily stay with the DSLR forever I guess.

Edited by MDM

11 hours ago, MDM said:

No worries Chuck. Apology accepted although I wasn't personally offended anyway. I totally understand what you are saying about technology. Having the newest and most amazing piece of camera kit does not make a photographer. For sure the most important thing for anyone wanting to call themselves a photographer is to have a very good foundation in the craft itself and the knowledge of how to control a camera to obtain the desired results (aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, focus, ISO etc etc) as a basic prerequisite. 

However, the technology is of fundamental importance in determining what we need to obtain the desired results and it's not just about grabbing the newest, shiniest thing on the market. For example, the D800 (including D800E and D810) are absolutely fantastic cameras as you know. I used them for some years for landscape and portrait work among other things, where I was just taking single shots often using manual focus. However, I ran into a wall when trying to use them for anything that involved action, as the autofocus tracking is way too slow for moving subjects, even slow moving ones. Moreover, the buffer sizes are too small so I would find the camera hanging up and refusing to do anything until it had written to the card. That lost me some pictures for sure.

Then the D850 came along and that was and still is amazing technology both in terms of its autofocus tracking and its ability to capture a large number of 45MP raws in the buffer before it would hang. The AF is also excellent in low light. So I embraced the D850, as I was able to do things that I could not do with the previous cameras. It remains the cream of the cream of DSLRs and is still on sale new from Nikon. In fact Nikon have an excellent record of continuing to provide for the older technology, as in keeping F mount compatibility for so long and into the future with adapters, which do work very well on the Z cameras. So the good news is that you have many more years of DSLRs, optical viewfinders and F mount if you want. Unless you take up video, you can quite happily stay with the DSLR forever I guess.

Michael,  

Thanks, appreciate your response.  I will say that the images that I saw from the Z8 and Z9 using the new optics were amazing.  I can only think of the images that I could have made in the 80's and 90's being able to shoot at 3200 ISO and above and not having to worry about Daylight or Tungsten balance film stock.

Also I am still loving my D800's....

Chuck 

• Love 1

On 10/10/2023 at 00:47, Chuck Nacke said:

What I was really trying to say is that after playing with a Z9 and Z8, the main thing I did not like was the electronic viewfinder.

You get used to it. And it is improving technology (earlier models don't have the best pixel count). Main advantage is seeing exactly what your image will look like in terms of WB, exposure etc. when you take the picture.

That's worse than people have to pay to import gear to Nicaragua.   And it's not like you can pop up to Miami on a bargain flight and take a taxi to one of the camera shops that advertises that it's near the airport and has Spanish-speaking staff.  B&H Photo has overseas customer service numbers including one in Brazil, but doesn't appear to have warehouses in Latin America.