I'll jump in, no matter what it does to my confidence.

RobTeed

1 hour ago, RobTeed said:

Here is a link to my portfolio. Let me know what you think. Thanks. https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/1228953.html

Quite a few are a under exposed or muddy. Be careful to keep your horizons err horizontal (unless for dramatic effect), same with converging verticals, correct these in ACR, other than those that are truly intentional.

Really think what a buyer/picture editor might use the image for before you  submit, many of the station interiors as well as being dark are not particularly saleable. It took me a while when starting out to not submit everything I shot, I'm getting more selective (or a better photographer) but I still post too much!

Good luck.

HUGH

• Like 3

Hi Rob. Reading your title, are you sure you want a full critique? Critique is given in good faith and meant to help, but some people receiving it can take it very personally.

I would add that many of us have progressed as photographers since we started doing this. I'm certainly better now than when I started, thanks in large part to help from the Alamy Forum as well as experience and reading a lot about photography.

Stephen

• Like 4

Inside and out, a lot of pix are too gloomy: grey skies, unrevealing light (for example, your Venice pix will be competing with zillions of other images which are colourful, vibrant, tightly cropped and full of life). Some odd compositions, where the subject isn’t obvious. Skewed horizons. Out of your 136 pix I would have uploaded no more than 10 or 20… which need to be given better captions and more descriptive tags (keywords). Just my opinion (and worth as much as you paid for it!).

In terms of confidence, be reassured that with tighter editing of pix, and raising the quality bar, you too can share in the financial bonanza that is stock photography in 2023...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve F said:

are you sure you want a full critique

Rob, Steve asks a good question.  Some photographers ask for a critique on here thinking that everyone will say "great photos" etc.  Because that is what they are used to getting from friends etc about their pictures; the vast majority of cases they don't get that.  The comments on here are incredibly helpful, and made, mainly, by contributors who have a lot of experience in Alamy stock photography and critique to a professional level.  I am a good(ish) news photographer but an average technical picture maker. and I would not want to put my pictures up here.  (I am in a professional one to one mentoring program and that is hard enough).  What sometimes happens that a contributor asks for feedback gets it does not like it and gets into an argument with those who made the critique.  So, be sure you know what you are getting into.  Look at the portfolios of others who have asked for critiques and the comments made.  That will give you a good idea what could be heading in your direction.

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Like 4

Overall, I think many are flat and muddy in tone and with no regard to the horizon lines, looking like they were taken in a hurry and had no post processing at all.  I normally hesitate to critique but it looked like you really wanted an honest opinion. 

• Like 1

The one of the nuns climbing the stairs, the caption reads "Diesel Locomotives".  You must have accidentally had this one selected in AIM when working on the train image.  That is something you have to watch out for as we have all done it.

So you will need to change the caption and tags for that one.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan

Hello Rob,

Ok I suggested the review option to you. Put my hand up to that one.

The reason is simple. You have posted on the forum 3 times and each time your portfolio is bigger, good effort! But unlesss you get your captions right you are just spinning your wheels, next thing is you have a  portfolio in the hundreds or thousands which does nothing, and is difficult to fix.

After your first post I had a cheeky look at a random picture: 2RCFMNF  It's an old Yellow Tram.

Caption: Budapest Tram

Tags: Budapest, Budapest market;danube river cruise;market hall;tram; viking river cruise

No markets, market halls or the clinking glasses of a Viking Cruise in the picture.

Well I'm guessing from the weeds underneath and the fact it's not connected to the catenary it's out of use: a caption like this might work.

Caption: Disused Budapest Tram seen in a (name of Depot). Make and Model.

Tags: Old Budapest Tram; Make; model; year; operator; yellow; grass under wheels; not connected; 3811;peeling paint;decaying;rusty;faded

The Wildlife contributors tag with common name and latin names, including variants. It takes meticulous rescearch, trains are no different. the people who buy tech pictures are very specific about details. Train enthusiasts are probably the sterotype!

OK thats enough of the negative and reality. The thing with ALAMY is you just do not know what will sell, just what may not.  Somewhere, some day, somone may want picture of a faded Yellow Hungarian Tram with grass under the wheels; and there it is, they just have to be able to find it.  I've sold stranger things, just not many.

All the best,

James

• Like 1

Diesel Locomotives - Stock Image

Caption: Diesel Locomotives

😁

Watch out for the quirky way the Alamy Image Manager works.

It's (far too) easy to forget to de-select an image.

Make sure you describe in the caption what there is to see in the image.

Like:

2RD1DYA

Tram to Pöstlingberg on the Hauptplatz or Main Square in Linz Austria.

Yours: Pöstlingbergbberg tram.

At the moment Pöstlingberg or Postlingberg makes no difference. But there have been times it did.

British English will probably have In the square. On is US English. We have to include both spellings. The main market is probably the UK, but a big chunk of the rest of the world speaks/writes US English, also thanks to the various spell checkers.

Not many searches for Tram Linz, but not many images on Alamy either.

How do we know? All of Alamy or AoA for short. (You have to be logged in. There's also a link on your dashboard.)

Try Linz and %Linz% (and some of your other subjects). Set the date as far back as possible; at the moment: Aug 01 2022.

The %% are a database thing. It shows us all searches by paying customers of Alamy. Many instructions can be found on this forum. There's also a short explanation on the page itself.

Oh and your a bit gloomy Saint Peters Basilica (2RFHJBT) is not the one in the Vatican, but rather the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Italian: Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura)

wim

• Like 1

IMO, your most salable of (136) is

well composed colorful red subject framed by photogenic buildings;
offer (1360) varied subjects of same quality & weekly licenses will
be yours, I'm guessing;

don't know your Photoshop skills, but...
Dodging Tool on train a bit to eliminate -1/2 stop under;
don't dodge buildings, 😮they're A Andy Randy OK;
Quick Selection Tool entire front windshield to raise Levels ?+3?
will reveal conductor,still look natural, add value...

hope this helps, mate..
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

Quite a few are a under exposed or muddy. Be careful to keep your horizons err horizontal (unless for dramatic effect), same with converging verticals, correct these in ACR, other than those that are truly intentional.

Really think what a buyer/picture editor might use the image for before you  submit, many of the station interiors as well as being dark are not particularly saleable. It took me a while when starting out to not submit everything I shot, I'm getting more selective (or a better photographer) but I still post too much!

Good luck.

HUGH

Thank you Hugh, I see I have a lot to learn.

45 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
IMO, your most salable of (136) is

well composed colorful red subject framed by photogenic buildings;
offer (1360) varied subjects of same quality & weekly licenses will
be yours, I'm guessing;

don't know your Photoshop skills, but...
Dodging Tool on train a bit to eliminate -1/2 stop under;
don't dodge buildings, 😮they're A Andy Randy OK;
Quick Selection Tool entire front windshield to raise Levels ?+3?
will reveal conductor,still look natural, add value...

hope this helps, mate..

Hi Jeffrey,

My PS skills are Nil, I don't use PS but I do have Darktable. For some reason I was under the impression that touching up photos was unacceptable. I'll start working on that.

58 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Diesel Locomotives - Stock Image

Caption: Diesel Locomotives

😁

Watch out for the quirky way the Alamy Image Manager works.

It's (far too) easy to forget to de-select an image.

Make sure you describe in the caption what there is to see in the image.

Like:

2RD1DYA

Tram to Pöstlingberg on the Hauptplatz or Main Square in Linz Austria.

Yours: Pöstlingbergbberg tram.

At the moment Pöstlingberg or Postlingberg makes no difference. But there have been times it did.

British English will probably have In the square. On is US English. We have to include both spellings. The main market is probably the UK, but a big chunk of the rest of the world speaks/writes US English, also thanks to the various spell checkers.

Not many searches for Tram Linz, but not many images on Alamy either.

How do we know? All of Alamy or AoA for short. (You have to be logged in. There's also a link on your dashboard.)

Try Linz and %Linz% (and some of your other subjects). Set the date as far back as possible; at the moment: Aug 01 2022.

The %% are a database thing. It shows us all searches by paying customers of Alamy. Many instructions can be found on this forum. There's also a short explanation on the page itself.

Oh and your a bit gloomy Saint Peters Basilica (2RFHJBT) is not the one in the Vatican, but rather the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Italian: Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura)

wim

Thanks for taking the time to look over my portfolio, I had no Idea that the photo of the Nuns was captioned "Diesel Locomotive". I'm slowly learning the nuances of Alamy.

9 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hello Rob,

Ok I suggested the review option to you. Put my hand up to that one.

The reason is simple. You have posted on the forum 3 times and each time your portfolio is bigger, good effort! But unlesss you get your captions right you are just spinning your wheels, next thing is you have a  portfolio in the hundreds or thousands which does nothing, and is difficult to fix.

After your first post I had a cheeky look at a random picture: 2RCFMNF  It's an old Yellow Tram.

Caption: Budapest Tram

Tags: Budapest, Budapest market;danube river cruise;market hall;tram; viking river cruise

No markets, market halls or the clinking glasses of a Viking Cruise in the picture.

Well I'm guessing from the weeds underneath and the fact it's not connected to the catenary it's out of use: a caption like this might work.

Caption: Disused Budapest Tram seen in a (name of Depot). Make and Model.

Tags: Old Budapest Tram; Make; model; year; operator; yellow; grass under wheels; not connected; 3811;peeling paint;decaying;rusty;faded

The Wildlife contributors tag with common name and latin names, including variants. It takes meticulous rescearch, trains are no different. the people who buy tech pictures are very specific about details. Train enthusiasts are probably the sterotype!

OK thats enough of the negative and reality. The thing with ALAMY is you just do not know what will sell, just what may not.  Somewhere, some day, somone may want picture of a faded Yellow Hungarian Tram with grass under the wheels; and there it is, they just have to be able to find it.  I've sold stranger things, just not many.

All the best,

James

Hi James, Thanks for the thoughts. I'm starting to figure out the tagging thing. I have to watch out for tagging multicable  uploads, it's easy to mis-tag photos.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

The one of the nuns climbing the stairs, the caption reads "Diesel Locomotives".  You must have accidentally had this one selected in AIM when working on the train image.  That is something you have to watch out for as we have all done it.

So you will need to change the caption and tags for that one.

Jill

Thanks Jill, Yeah that one was really mis-tagged.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

Rob, Steve asks a good question.  Some photographers ask for a critique on here thinking that everyone will say "great photos" etc.  Because that is what they are used to getting from friends etc about their pictures; the vast majority of cases they don't get that.  The comments on here are incredibly helpful, and made, mainly, by contributors who have a lot of experience in Alamy stock photography and critique to a professional level.  I am a good(ish) news photographer but an average technical picture maker. and I would not want to put my pictures up here.  (I am in a professional one to one mentoring program and that is hard enough).  What sometimes happens that a contributor asks for feedback gets it does not like it and gets into an argument with those who made the critique.  So, be sure you know what you are getting into.  Look at the portfolios of others who have asked for critiques and the comments made.  That will give you a good idea what could be heading in your direction.

Hello Ian,

I don't mind the critique's, that's why I posted the portfolio. The title was a bit of a joke. I know I have to improve and the only way to do that is to ask.

19 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Rob. Reading your title, are you sure you want a full critique? Critique is given in good faith and meant to help, but some people receiving it can take it very personally.

I would add that many of us have progressed as photographers since we started doing this. I'm certainly better now than when I started, thanks in large part to help from the Alamy Forum as well as experience and reading a lot about photography.

Stephen

Hi  Steve, Yes, I can handle it. I won't take it personally. Critique's only help one improve.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Hi Rob, good to know. You've got a lot to go through; if I was you I'd take stock (pun totally intended) and try to take it all in before continuing to upload. On the upside, you don't have hundreds or thousands of images to edit or re-keyword so you can make the necessary changes early.

1. re. editing, the majority of contributors will edit raw files, although some do submit JPEGs directly from the camera. Editing will generally be minimal (and large edits are not wanted) for images submitted for Live News, but otherwise edits will generally consist of something like:

• Lens corrections
  • Level horizons, get rid of converging verticals
  • Potential cropping to improve the composition/get rid of distracting elements
  • Correct the white balance and temperature
  • Correct the exposure
  • Get rid of any dust spots or distracting elements
  • Carry out local saturation/exposure edits etc. 
  • Adjust the saturation/luminance etc. overall and on individual colours if needed.
  • Adjust the white and black points.
  • Adjust shadows

You should really be editing to help increase the saleability of your images and in order to avoid failing Alamy's QC and getting sin binned for a period where you can't upload. Common QC failure reasons here:

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-qc-failure-reasons.pdf

2. Captions are searchable by clients. Your captions are far too short. Aside from that, clients will be reading captions on search pages by hovering over an image. If they're looking for e.g. a certain place and neither the place nor the country is mentioned in the caption, they will probably move swiftly on to one of the hundreds of other images available.

Include the Latin as well as the common name of plants, insects and the location (including the country). Some helpful links:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Captions-and-Tags-checklist.pdf

https://www.alamy.com/blog/tips-for-your-captions-from-the-sales-team

https://www.alamy.com/blog/captions-and-tags

Try to make use of all 150 letters available to you in the caption. Include British and American spellings, e.g. color and colour. You should include what you can see in the image and any extra wording to try to make an image more saleable, e.g.:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/16942-images-sold-in-august-2023/?do=findComment&comment=344625

3. You should be aware of CTR (click through rate). Your pictures will appear at a certain level (e.g. first page, 10th page... etc.) in searches by clients, depending on various factors. CTR and Sales are the only factors we know about for sure in the secret formula Alamy uses to set our search ranking. Your CTR rank (on your Dashboard) is a function of the number of times a client zooms (clicks on) one of your images versus the number of times your images appear in a client search, but are not zoomed.

CTR=Zooms/Views * 100

This is basically a long way of me saying, don't spam keywords. E.g. don't put sky, blue, clouds for every single outdoors picture you shoot. There is a tendency to try to put lots of keywords for your images to try to get them seen by clients. So they may well appear in searches, but if they're not zoomed by a client, your CTR rank will drop. Which means your images won't show as high up in client searches. You don't want your images to get buried in the 350 million images on Alamy. By all means, put a lot of keywords in for certain pictures if they're relevant. Captions and keywords are almost more important than the image itself because you can have the most amazing images ever, but if they're keyworded wrong, no one will ever see them.

Also include singular and plurals  of words if appropriate. Don't worry about moving the line to optimised (green) - we have collectively decided that this is not a good idea unless you really need that many keywords.

Additionally, the technical quality of your images will affect your CTR as they are highly unlikely to be zoomed if the thumbnail looks bad - I agree with comments above from others on composition, lighting, subject matter etc. You may want to remove some images from your portfolio - the underexposed shots with skewed horizons are highly unlikely to sell.

4. Try to be more commercial about what you shoot. Try to imagine what a client would/could use your image for. Keep a look out for published stock photos (you can see in the photo credits) - these are the 'winners'. How do yours compare in terms of subject, composition, lighting...? Not saying you need to be completely formulaic, but you also need to produce saleable images.

From a personal side, I've been doing this since summer 2015 and I'm at about 5000 images. I've got lots of hobbies, but I've dedicated a lot of time to this and I've still only got 5000 images - take a look at the portfolio size of Jeffrey and other contributors above! These days I try to be more commercial about what I shoot, primarily because it's a lot of work to take, edit and keyword thousands of images. So whilst you never know what will sell, you should be asking yourself questions like:

• Is anyone actually ever going to want to license this image?
  • Is the lighting good enough? Unless you're taking an image of something that's really rare, chances are there already at least tens or hundreds of your subject online for sale already. If you have terrible lighting, don't even bother taking the image - e.g. a totally overcast sky with really flat shadows in the scene. Or a building that is backlit by the sun from behind.
  • Is my subject large enough in frame? e.g. it's too far away and you don't have a large enough zoom.
  • Are there areas of my image that are too boring, too much empty space? E.g. a street scene, can I wait for some people to enter that space so then I take the shot? (re. people, people in images and people doing things, sell. Get out of the habit of waiting for a scene to be empty of people before you take the image, unless you're trying to do a beautiful nature shot. And you might find that taking a picture of all the tourists taking pictures at a beautiful site is the one that sells!) Be aware that as westerners that read from left to right, images tend to look better to westerners if people are walking from left to right in an image. Ditto to have the tallest person on the left if you're doing a photo of a couple for example.

And if you have a negative answer to these, then it's not worth taking the time and effort to take, edit and keyword/caption the photo.

5. Have a look at other contributor's portfolio reviews. Lots of useful information there.

6. Some comments on some images (same as mentioned by others above):

Overall, many are too underexposed. Brighter images will look better on thumbnails and you don't often see noticeably underexposed images published. The wonky horizons don't look artistic, they just make the images look like hurried snapshots - needs to be sorted out with post editing. I'm not mentioning the captions or keywords, see 2 above and other's comments.

tour-bus-view-out-window-2RFXBJH.jpg

This could work if the window distortion was sorted out. But the elements at the front are very distracting - are the people supposed to be part of the image or were they accidentally included because they got in the way? They're half in and half out. Looks like a very hurried snapshot, and I expect picture buyers would think the same.

evanston-wyoming-union-pacific-powerhous

Watch out for scenes with very different exposure values, like here where the image is exposed for the sky and very underexposed for the foreground. You can use a very dark foreground if it creates an interesting silhouette against the sky, but otherwise it's a big no no. Also, the horizon is noticeable skewed and the building on the left is leaning to the left - both can easily be corrected with software. Also, it's very unclear what the subject is here, my eye goes around the image and doesn't settle on anything. The foreground is also very boring - it's too dark, boring texture, nothing of interest.

cuba-2RG0EBA.jpg

Horizon. Scene is too boring, buildings are generic, lighting is too bland, large area of empty boring foreground.

st-peters-basilica-and-the-river-tiber-2

Main subject is far too small. Tree on the left is very distracting, takes up too much space and is essentially black without an interesting shape, so too boring. Trees can be a good mechanism for framing an image, but it doesn't work here. Horizon skewed again.

tour-groups-2RD5RH6.jpg

As other have said, there will be many many images of famous landmarks with good lighting and skies etc. that you're in competition with. Here, you've chopped off the top of the basilica, horizon skewed again, underexposed image (probably at least one stop) and very bland lighting creating a flat image and very dull colours.

bridge-over-canal-in-venice-2RD5RCT.jpg

Bland lighting again and no gondolas in image so a very boring foreground - you might need to wait a few minutes for one to come into view... Some images take preparation. Horizon not straight again. Underexposed. I mainly picked this image because of the caption 'Bridge over Canal in Venice'. Many image purchasers will be looking for specific areas in Venice, so you should be naming the canal and the bridge as well as mentioning Venice and Italy in the caption. Google is your friend!

I hope this helps, best of luck.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

Hi Rob, just an additional point, when I started taking photography more seriously, I devoured a lot of photography magazines and books. These will have great advice on composition, lighting, colour, how to edit images etc. I would also suggest doing this if you have the time (if you haven't already done so, but I'm guessing not from your posts above. You can also get these tips for free on YouTube, but I'm still a fan of the magazines, old school!)

Steve

p.s. you can see people's portfolios by right clicking on the images number below their pseudonym on the left of this thread.

Edited by Steve F

9 hours ago, RobTeed said:

Thanks Jill, Yeah that one was really mis-tagged.

What I got into the habit of doing is before selecting a picture or group of pictures to caption/keyword at the top right of the pictures panel in Alamy Image Manager it says  Clear selection  x.  If you click on the x and have any pictures selected that you have forgotten about they will then be cleared.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 09:12, Steve F said:

Try to be more commercial about what you shoot. Try to imagine what a client would/could use your image for. Keep a look out for published stock photos (you can see in the photo credits) - these are the 'winners'. How do yours compare in terms of subject, composition, lighting...? Not saying you need to be completely formulaic, but you also need to produce saleable images.

This is excellent advice.  

In the world of sales, understanding your audience and offering what they desire to purchase is key. It's a principle that sounds simple but can be surprisingly challenging to put into practice. In my career as a news photographer, this idea has become a constant pursuit.

My daily routine is filled with a delicate balance of researching and shooting. Scouring newspapers for breaking stories and accompanying photographs is only the tip of the iceberg. Every three months, I create a mind map to identify potential news trends and scan social media for the latest news and events. Local happenings, breaking trends, seasonal shifts—all these factors shape my approach, whether I'm focusing on news or stock photography. For instance, as autumn approaches, my thoughts turn to capturing the unique essence of the season.

When taking news photographs, I always consider the possibility of them being used as stock in the future. This foresight doesn't mean mimicking what's popular but rather understanding the appeal and crafting my unique perspective.

The process starts even before the shutter clicks. Thinking like an image buyer, I ponder the potential uses of each photograph, imagining how it can best serve the viewer.

My strategy isn't without its challenges. I often grapple with a decision-making algorithm I refer to as “Exploit or Explore.” Do I capitalize on proven sellers, or venture into uncharted territory to discover something new? My frequent assignments in Downing Street, London—home to the U.K.'s top political offices—offer a dependable market, but I often wonder if I should expand my horizons.

Balancing this exploration with daily necessities, like hitting my 10,000-step goal set by my personal trainer, my camera never leaves my side. I abide by a simple philosophy: better to have your camera and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Stock photography is more than capturing a beautiful image; it's about understanding trends and needs, crafting captivating captions that answer the fundamental questions of who, what, when, where, and why, and employing skillful keywording. Even the inclusion of Latin names for flora and fauna can elevate a photograph's value. Attention to these details, paired with technical proficiency, crafts the full picture of success in this ever-evolving field

Everyone has their own strategy, this is mine….

• Love 4
  • Like 1