Feild of ornage folwers and architetcure

geogphotos

12 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Great idea. Did you find a way to add the 'x' automatically in the extra column?

No, I didn't try to do that but it was pretty straightforward to do it manually with the new column in a convenient place. As you suggest the 'auto' route (if there is a way of doing it) would add an 'x' for every possible infringement (latin names, place names, brands etc.) and I suppose that would make it easier to then go through the refined filtered selection but I did find it quite easy to scan through visually for those anyway.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I use IMatch for keywording.  I has an inbuilt spellchecker and you can download many different language dictionaries freely available on the net.  I have 'British English' and 'American English' dictionaries installed and can jump from one to the other with a mouse click.  It also has a custom dictionary so any words which you know are correct but are not in the dictionary can be added - useful for Latin names etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 09:51, Harry Harrison said:

Not sure how people find their mis-spellings and typos but you could download the data csv, turn it into a spreadsheet and run a spell checker down the Caption column and then down the Tags column. I suggest adding an extra column and putting an 'x' in it for every image that has a problem so that you can get a list of Image IDs to check and correct.

I've just done that with mine and found 75 images to correct, just typos, it took about 10 minutes though it will take a bit longer than that to correct them.

I cann tell you, it was a revvellation.

One month later...

Wow that was quite a rabbit hole to disappear down. I downloaded my Alamy data from AIM, opened in a spreadsheet, and ran a spellcheck. Unfortunately my spellchecker didn't recognise latin names (for plants and animals) or many place names (especially Gaelic ones) and is a bit fussy about capitalisation (I often entered Alamy tags without capitalisation as it doesn't matter). So I started off with thousands of false alarms. I taught the spellchecker the correct spellings as I went and then set about fixing the remaining real errors in my tags, captions, location and additional information boxes. I won't claim everything's perfect now but (I'm embarrassed to say) it's a lot better than it was. I then copied the new learnt words from my Office Suite spellchecker's custom dictionary into my Browser's custom dictionary so now errors are flagged more reliably as soon as I enter data into AIM.

Mark

• Love 1

On 01/07/2023 at 11:06, Doc said:

Thanks! Found one "ornage"!

Kumar

Don't squzze it -- you might get jewes.

I see myself as the forum's ranking worst speller, so I always use Grammarly. Unfortunately, G too often decides to change a word for unknown reasons. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

37 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't squzze it -- you might get jewes.

I see myself as the forum's ranking worst speller, but I always use Grammarly. Unfortunately, G too often decides to change a word for unknown reasons. 

Don't sell yourself cheap Edo. I am on a number of forums here in Australia, and sometimes, I can barely figure out what they are saying. And they are not dyslexic... No offense to my beloved Australians.

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

One month later...

Wow that was quite a rabbit hole to disappear down. I downloaded my Alamy data from AIM, opened in a spreadsheet, and ran a spellcheck. Unfortunately my spellchecker didn't recognise latin names (for plants and animals) or many place names (especially Gaelic ones) and is a bit fussy about capitalisation (I often entered Alamy tags without capitalisation as it doesn't matter). So I started off with thousands of false alarms. I taught the spellchecker the correct spellings as I went and then set about fixing the remaining real errors in my tags, captions, location and additional information boxes. I won't claim everything's perfect now but (I'm embarrassed to say) it's a lot better than it was. I then copied the new learnt words from my Office Suite spellchecker's custom dictionary into my Browser's custom dictionary so now errors are flagged more reliably as soon as I enter data into AIM.

Mark

You've certainly extended my fairly basic suggested workflow into something that will hopefully be useful for you into the future, and others perhaps. If it weren't for the data csv then it would, depending upon the number of images to check, be anything between daunting and impossible to achieve by just going through them in AIM. If Lightroom had a spell-checker then the Alamy/Bridge Lightroom plugin would work as well, but I don't think it does even on CC.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It seems you and I, Gen, are destined to be immigrants speaking in a strange tongue. You, Aussie English. Me, Scouse. 

Well I still think Austria is a scarry place!

(Sorry Steve couldn't resist 😔)

11 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well I still think Austria is a scarry place!

(Sorry Steve couldn't resist 😔)

🤣 An Australian tourist information centre received a request for information where the Lipizzan horses were performing 🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 17:27, John Mitchell said:

grafitti = 56,082

This one is a personal fave. I always include it.

Oops, just found one of them thanks.  Added correction but left original.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Oops, just found one of them thanks.  Added correction but left original.

Now you can relax and enjoy a nice frothy cappuccino. Or is it "cappucino" or "capuccino"? All three bring up search results on Alamy. Mamma mia! 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us who are using Lightroom to manage a local catalog:

go to "All Photographs" -> select all images in the main window -> go to Keywords panel -> select and copy all keywords -> paste into Word (or similar) -> turn on spell checker.

when a problematic keyword is found, search for it back in Lightroom and fix for specific found images.

This process applied to ~10,000 images found a bunch of names (particularly non-English ones), brand names, latin names, chemical names, and other technical terms. Among real mistakes were such rare animals as "folwer", "gorp", "EneryGuide", "screewdriver". To my surprise, beautiful folwer was caught up only in one photograph.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, giphotostock said:

when a problematic keyword is found, search for it back in Lightroom and fix for specific found images

That seems like a great idea, and I guess if you use the Alamy-Lightroom Bridge plugin (I don't) you can just update from Lightroom rather than going to AIM