Adobe at it again - if it's not broke.....

I have an action to 'Flatten image... Convert to 8 bit.... Save... Close.."  This has worked perfectly for years through numerous updates - until the latest update yesterday.

Now it gets to the 'Save' bit and I get a message 'Unable to complete command due to a program error'.  The 'save' command is just the keyboard shortcut CTRL-S which works perfectly from the keyboard.  I tried re-recording the 'Save' bit - just the same.  Recorded a completely new action with just the one command CTRL-S and I get the same 'Program Error'.   So CTRL-S works via the keyboard but not if I do exactly the same thing via an action.  Grrr....... 

• Love 1

After the last update every time I opened an image just got a flashing screen where the image should be. The fix was go to Edit-Preferences-Performance-uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor" box to solve it. Some updates are a backward step !!!!

Andy.

• Like 1

Yes, I recently posted about how the keywording feature in Bridge was changed to like LR. I hate it. And yes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!!!

I got an Adobe review request recently & a few days ago I unloaded on them. Rated them lowish then the next page was a “why did you rate like this?” page and I told them how the cow ate the cabbage. (American colloquialism) means to tell the unvarnished truth. 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I have an action to 'Flatten image... Convert to 8 bit.... Save... Close.."  This has worked perfectly for years through numerous updates - until the latest update yesterday.

Now it gets to the 'Save' bit and I get a message 'Unable to complete command due to a program error'.  The 'save' command is just the keyboard shortcut CTRL-S which works perfectly from the keyboard.  I tried re-recording the 'Save' bit - just the same.  Recorded a completely new action with just the one command CTRL-S and I get the same 'Program Error'.   So CTRL-S works via the keyboard but not if I do exactly the same thing via an action.  Grrr....... 

This is not new. Adobe changesd this a couple of years ago and it caused a bit of a furore. However, all is not lost. You can revert to the old behaviour in Prefs - File Handling - Enable Legacy Save As. I don't know if you will need to re-record your action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

After the last update every time I opened an image just got a flashing screen where the image should be. The fix was go to Edit-Preferences-Performance-uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor" box to solve it. Some updates are a backward step !!!!

Andy.

That means your graphics card can't handle it anymore. Software advances I'm afraid where the hardware can no longer keep up with the changes. One man's backward step is another man's advancing step. Ageing is a terrible thing but it's better than not ageing at all (up to a certain point anyway). 

Edited by MDM

1 minute ago, MDM said:

That means your graphics card can't handle it anymore. Software advances I'm afraid. Aging is a terrible thing but it's better than not aging at all.

It will take the not aging thingy for myself, thank you very much. 😇

50 minutes ago, MDM said:

This is not new. Adobe changesd this a couple of years ago and it caused a bit of a furore. However, all is not lost. You can revert to the old behaviour in Prefs - File Handling - Enable Legacy Save As. I don't know if you will need to re-record your action.

I've been using Photoshop for more years than I care to remember and never had this problem before.  It was working up until yesterday's update.  I tried your suggestion 'Enable Legacy Save As.' but it made no difference.

I'm not the only one having the problem - see the Adobe forum.

Edit - just to add, it's not 'Save As' that is the problem - it's just 'Save'...  CTRL-S  (the standard Windows keyboard shortcut)

Edited by Vincent Lowe

53 minutes ago, gvallee said:

It will take the not aging thingy for myself, thank you very much. 😇

Indeed and same here as long as my mental faculties hold out. So far so good. I see you got my misspelling of ageing which I corrected rapidly and thought I got away with it. Once upon a time I had nearly perfect spelling before the age of spell checkers - must be an age thing or should that be an ag thing? 😀.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I've been using Photoshop for more years than I care to remember and never had this problem before.  It was working up until yesterday's update.  I tried your suggestion 'Enable Legacy Save As.' but it made no difference.

I'm not the only one having the problem - see the Adobe forum.

Edit - just to add, it's not 'Save As' that is the problem - it's just 'Save'...  CTRL-S  (the standard Windows keyboard shortcut)

OK I misread  - sorry for the misleading suggestion about the Save As thing. It's clearly a bug so I'm sure it will get fixed soon. 

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

Indeed and same here as long as my mental faculties hold out. So far so good. I see you got my misspelling of ageing which I corrected rapidly and thought I got away with it. Once upon a time I had nearly perfect spelling before the age of spell checkers - must be an age thing or should that be an ag thing? 😀.

I'm only a foreigner, so I can get away with it, can't I? 😁

Funny you mention spelling. I used to never make any spelling mistake. My spelling is now all gone in French because I don't use French anymore, neither reading nor writing.

In English, it's nationals who confuse me with their incorrect spelling... Particularly in Oz, it's well beyond mistakes, some writings are barely understandable.

• Like 1

Mais oui - I have forgotten most of my French which I learnt in school but that is half a century ago now - WOW. I learnt Irish in school as well and was fluent when I left but have not used it at all since so almost gone now. English spelling is very difficult being basically non-phonetic - the only way to learn is by usage.

• Like 1

I'm having difficulty writing in cursive these days after typing everything. I usually print when making shopping lists but I like cursive for writing greeting cards and it's a mess now. I understand they aren't even teaching it in schools now and I think that is a shame.

Paulette

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm having difficulty writing in cursive these days after typing everything. I usually print when making shopping lists but I like cursive for writing greeting cards and it's a mess now. I understand they aren't even teaching it in schools now and I think that is a shame.

Paulette

I used to utilise cursive when writing up until I start work at 22 years old as a "Planning Engineer" in an engineering works.  The planning forms all had to be filled out using print only not cursive.

This was because the hand printed forms had to be copied in the typing pool onto master print sheets so they could be copied ad infinitum as required.  The typists would complain that they could not understand some peoples cursive hand writing, or misread them, and that is why all initial .forms were hand printed.

During the two years I was doing that work I forgot cursive handwriting but could print just as fast. I have hardly written cursive since.

Allan

15 hours ago, MDM said:

That means your graphics card can't handle it anymore. Software advances I'm afraid where the hardware can no longer keep up with the changes. One man's backward step is another man's advancing step. Ageing is a terrible thing but it's better than not ageing at all (up to a certain point anyway). 

Perfectly true I'm afraid but not buying a new laptop just to keep up with Adobe updates, well until Winows10 stops being supported in 2025.😒

On 24/03/2023 at 12:34, Vincent Lowe said:

If it works with CTRL - S, then I don't see how it could be the GPU. 

I had this happen to me about a year ago.  Made no sense as my GPU was only a couple of years old.  But I had updated the GPU the day before.  Did some Google searching and found a post somewhere that said to take the GPU back to it's previous version.  That worked for me.  I did update the GPU quite a bit later and didn't have an issue then.  I figured there was something in the new update for the GPU that caused the issue and they finally fixed it.

Worth a try.

Jill

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Well. after almost four weeks since this bug was first reported, and the thread on the Adobe forum now running at 189 posts, a fix has been announced which will be shipped with the next update.  Fine, except they haven't said when the update will be released..... ☹️

I just had an automatic PS update 5 minutes ago. Perhaps you'll be lucky...

On 24/03/2023 at 17:29, aphperspective said:

every time I opened an image just got a flashing screen where the image should be. The fix was go to Edit-Preferences-Performance-uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor" box to solve it...

yes, today the flashing strobe effect surfaced,
all images TIF & JPG didn't open, flashed black-white-black-white
fixed by going to: (different than your fix, as advised by Adobe employee)
Edit > Preferences > Technology Previews > [] Older GPU mode (pre-2016)
make sure box seen here in red is checked, reboot, solved !!

On 25/03/2023 at 06:22, NYCat said:

Paulette

My daughter and son-in-law are so excited that the Montessori school my grandson will be attending in the fall teaches the kids to write in cursive. They stopped teaching it in our school district a few years ago. I agree it's a shame. 

An idea: Try journaling and see if you handwriting improves. My handwriting went from excellent (thanks to some very strict nuns in the 1960s) to atrocious. Then, I took up journaling/bullet journaling a few years ago. I still type most of my notes on my computer or in the Notes on my iPhone, but I also handwrite a lot more than before and my writing is fairly legible again. 

In my former career, I had to read land deeds going back to the 1800s for a very complicated land use case. The deeds from that era were transcribed into leather bound books by hand. If a kid is interested in history or even law rather than IT, they'll need to learn cursive as an adult just to do research from primary sources. Even with everything now digitized, you still need to be able to read the document. 

it's weird, who thought in 2023 we'd have computers making "art" and kids who can't read or write in cursive? I thought we'd have flying cars and robots who cooked and cleaned for us, the later of those skills one I'd happily unlearn.

🤖