March 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

I will kick off March favourite uploads with this series taken in the past few days in the rainforest of Atherton Tablelands, Far North Queensland, Australia

Boyd's Forest Dragon (Hypsilurus boydii)

2P44G8C.jpg

Common Brushtail Possum (Trichosurus vulpecula)

2P44HB4.jpg

Red-legged Pademelon (Thylogale stigmatica)

2P44J71.jpg

Australian Brush-turkey (Alectura lathami) preening

2P44JAM.jpg

Lewin's Honeyeater (Meliphaga lewinii)

2P44K2A.jpg

Black-faced Monarch (Monarcha melanopsis)

2P44JJT.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Wonderful, Gen. So great to be in a place with creatures all about. I got excited yesterday because I saw two fat doves on the fire escape opposite me. The everyday wildlife here is pigeons and sparrows.

Paulette

58 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Wonderful, Gen. So great to be in a place with creatures all about. I got excited yesterday because I saw two fat doves on the fire escape opposite me. The everyday wildlife here is pigeons and sparrows.

Paulette

Mostly pigeons here. There is a low level of sparrows on this island.

Allan

I should have also mentioned Hawks but one seldom sees one. Of course, Central Park is excellent for bird watchers but I'm almost never there. Some fool vandalized the cage of an Eurasian Eagle Owl in the Central Park Zoo. He is now living in the park but the worry has been whether he knows how to hunt.  So far so good. His name is Flaco.

Paulette

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

It is a magical place in the rainforest belonging to a maize farm. The owners are being bankrupted  by rats eating their crops, so they are diversifying in tourism. They built little paths through the forest, leading down the outcrop to the Barron River. There they mowed the riverbank to allow platypus watching. We were lucky to see one. The path meanders for a couple of kms through various habitats: werlands, lakes. So you can imagine the variety of birds!

At night, there is a feeding station in the forest and several species of possums and pademelons (like a little kangaroo) appear. I got great shots from last night.

I like to stay put and let the wildlife come to me rather than walking endlessly. The Boyd's Forest Dragon ran in front of me about 2m away, head up. It was so quick that I thought it was a bird to start with. Then he climbed the tree trunk! Same for a couple of birds landing on a perch next to me. I could stay all day. There was only me and the rainforest. We have to leave today but the two roads leading to the tablelands are closed with landslides. Nature rules!

• Love 1

I liked this one. 4th March, 2023. Walk for Women celebrates the forthcoming International Women’s Day 2023, Manchester, UK. This year’s global theme: ‘Embrace Equity’ focusses on how people can create an inclusive world. This event is organised by Manchester City Council and is part of Manchester’s International Women’s Day celebrations which will take place across the city in March. 

2P2GYYP.jpg

• Love 1

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

There are many birds around my neighborhood. I’ve seen foxes, skunks & possums. There is a small lake behind the houses across the street from me, so geese, ducks & herons fly in & out. Sometimes a flock of geese or mallards wonder up & down the street, presumably looking to eat someone’s flowers if they were blooming. I know the time I had two Peking white pet ducks, I had to fence off my flower beds because they were munching on them.

Spotted on a street in Bristol last week. Well, it made me smile. Keyword research for this was interesting. I’m now fully up to speed with male/female intimate waxing. 🙂

a-humorous-chalk-a-board-placed-on-a-cit

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

Common Brushtail Possum (Trichosurus vulpecula) in the rainforest at night, Atherton Tablelands, Far North Queensland, Australia

2P6JMYC.jpg

2P6JY2F.jpg

Look Mum, no hands!

2P6JP46.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 4

• 2 weeks later...

After all of these exciting uploads I feel the need to bring things back down to earth, or manure in this instance. I was delighted to see a load delivered yesterday so indulged in six heaped barrowloads for my allotment.

2PE57YC.jpg

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

After all of these exciting uploads I feel the need to bring things back down to earth, or manure in this instance. I was delighted to see a load delivered yesterday so indulged in six heaped barrowloads for my allotment.

2PE57YC.jpg

Is six barrow loads your allotment for your allotment?

Allan

• Love 1

Lake Tinaroo Dam on Atherton Tablelands, Far North Queensland, going over the spillway, a rare occurrence even during the wet season

2PGBX4B.jpg

2PGBX7W.jpg

Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) with a worm in beak, Atherton Tablelands, Far North Queensland, Australia

2PGBXDE.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Some recent snaps...

A couple of old chaps doing what they do best, pointing and speculating.

bath-20th-march-2023-a-car-has-fallen-into-the-gap-between-the-pavement-or-sidewalk-and-the-francis-hotel-in-bath-the-accident-occurred-on-sunday-19th-march-emergency-services-helped-the-occupants-out-but-no-serious-injuries-occurred-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2PG2HND.jpg

Same crash, this Lady just walked past.  (Bright red hair under the watermark, framed....)

bath-20th-march-2023-a-car-has-fallen-into-the-gap-between-the-pavement-or-sidewalk-and-the-francis-hotel-in-bath-soem-people-see-it-some-dont-the-accident-occurred-on-sunday-19th-march-emergency-services-helped-the-occupants-out-but-no-serious-injuries-occurred-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2PG2J8J.jpg

A recent Bristol Protest, University staff marching down the hill, bus advertising the University going up the hill.

bristol-uk-15th-mar-2023-ucu-members-march-down-to-college-green-as-a-bus-advertising-the-univrsity-goes-up-the-hill-bristol-university-lecturers-continue-to-take-strike-action-on-budget-day-in-their-fight-for-pensions-fair-and-equal-pay-reasonable-workloads-and-an-end-to-precarious-contracts-the-workers-are-supported-by-the-ucu-or-university-college-union-who-are-anticipating-a-high-turn-out-on-the-picket-lines-stagnating-pay-as-the-cost-of-living-rises-adds-to-the-anxiety-of-university-staff-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2PDYHRD.jpg

Watching a protest go past from a coffee shop, peak Bristol!

protest-viewed-from-a-cafe-ucu-members-march-down-to-college-green-bristol-university-lecturers-continue-to-take-strike-action-on-budget-day-in-their-fight-for-pensions-fair-and-equal-pay-reasonable-workloads-and-an-end-to-precarious-contracts-the-workers-are-supported-by-the-ucu-or-university-college-union-who-are-anticipating-a-high-turn-out-on-the-picket-lines-stagnating-pay-as-the-cost-of-living-rises-adds-to-the-anxiety-of-university-staff-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2PDYHEM.jpg

At the Teachers strike, a lovely chap, a Maths Teacher. Never looks at a camera; same as my wife. Cat is called Perkin Walbeck.

bristol-uk-2nd-march-2023-perkin-the-cat-lent-his-support-striking-teachers-hold-a-rally-on-college-green-in-bristol-before-marching-around-the-city-teachers-are-striking-because-they-believe-they-are-not-paid-enough-government-offers-of-a-below-inflation-rise-have-been-rejected-by-the-national-education-union-neu-the-union-says-that-government-underfunding-of-education-is-affecting-children-teaching-leaders-say-that-it-is-now-very-hard-to-attract-and-retain-good-teachers-because-of-historic-real-term-pay-cuts-and-poor-working-conditions-credit-mr-standfastalamy-live-news-2NYJ8GR.jpg

• Love 3

Few from my last upload.

Waterstones book shop and cafe High Street Lincoln city

waterstones-book-shop-and-cafe-high-stre

New Vehicle and passenger ferry Victoria of Wight, Wightlink ferry line December 2022 

new-vehicle-and-passenger-ferry-victoria

Illuminated Boots chemist shop sign, Carlton centre outer ring road Lincoln 

illuminated-boots-chemist-shop-sign-carl

COCO Smiths tin of luxury hot chocolate

coco-smiths-tin-of-luxury-hot-chocolate-

Damaged plastic illuminated bollards, Church Lane Cherry Willingham Lincoln 

damaged-plastic-illuminated-bollards-chu

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Few from my last upload.

Waterstones book shop and cafe High Street Lincoln city

waterstones-book-shop-and-cafe-high-stre

New Vehicle and passenger ferry Victoria of Wight, Wightlink ferry line December 2022 

new-vehicle-and-passenger-ferry-victoria

Illuminated Boots chemist shop sign, Carlton centre outer ring road Lincoln 

illuminated-boots-chemist-shop-sign-carl

COCO Smiths tin of luxury hot chocolate

coco-smiths-tin-of-luxury-hot-chocolate-

Damaged plastic illuminated bollards, Church Lane Cherry Willingham Lincoln 

damaged-plastic-illuminated-bollards-chu

Allan

Very nice Allan.

12 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Very nice Allan.

Thank you Gen.

Al

Just asked Google Nest what time it is in Australia and was told 5.45pm and 10.45pm depending on where you are in Australia.

I have never realised or even thought about it before that Australia has five time zones.😲

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Gen.

Al

Just asked Google Nest what time it is in Australia and was told 5.45pm and 10.45pm depending on where you are in Australia.

I have never realised or even thought about it before that Australia has five time zones.😲

ITMA

It certainly has. To add to the confusion, some States change to daily savings time, some don't. A domestic flight from East to West takes 6 hours. Big country!

It's 8:45pm for me now. Right up in the Tropics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

It certainly has. To add to the confusion, some States change to daily savings time, some don't. A domestic flight from East to West takes 6 hours. Big country!

It's 8:45pm for me now. Right up in the Tropics.

It will be about 9.45pm now for you so I will say "Goodnight".

Al

• Love 1

My latest efforts at my weakest point: people, people, people…

Are they doing something? Some are but Edo, how right you are about people looking at their phones. This series was taken along a 200m stretch, a promenade along the beach. On the left was the beach with people sitting/lying down, the middle bit is a park like area with seats and tables, on the right is a series of cafes and restaurants. It was quite busy. I kid you not, over 200m, ONE man was not looking at a phone, he was carrying a cup of coffee. I nearly patted him on the back. Every other single person was looking at a phone. It was mind-blowing.

One another note, although said in a friendly and non-confrontational way, I once again heard ‘I don’t want to be in any shot’, which does nothing to boost my proverbial lack of confidence around people.

I would appreciate feedback on how I am doing please, I have no idea with people shots. TIA.

2PH94DA.jpg

2PH94F5.jpg

2PH94H3.jpg

2PH95HK.jpg

2PHD4MJ.jpg

2PHD4K4.jpg

2PHD4KE.jpg

2PHD4NB.jpg

• Love 1

17 hours ago, gvallee said:

My latest efforts at my weakest point: people, people, people…

Are they doing something? Some are but Edo, how right you are about people looking at their phones. This series was taken along a 200m stretch, a promenade along the beach. On the left was the beach with people sitting/lying down, the middle bit is a park like area with seats and tables, on the right is a series of cafes and restaurants. It was quite busy. I kid you not, over 200m, ONE man was not looking at a phone, he was carrying a cup of coffee. I nearly patted him on the back. Every other single person was looking at a phone. It was mind-blowing.

One another note, although said in a friendly and non-confrontational way, I once again heard ‘I don’t want to be in any shot’, which does nothing to boost my proverbial lack of confidence around people.

I would appreciate feedback on how I am doing please, I have no idea with people shots. TIA.

2PH94DA.jpg

2PH94F5.jpg

2PH94H3.jpg

2PH95HK.jpg

2PHD4MJ.jpg

2PHD4K4.jpg

2PHD4KE.jpg

2PHD4NB.jpg

Embrace your inner Bruce Gilden  😁