March 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My rule of thumb is if someone doesn't wanna, don't take.  Many people will pose.   Take that shot, then talk them into not posing. 

They usually say so after the deed. No problems, I delete the shots. 

1 hour ago, Paul Lawrenson said:

I read your post before you deleted it. I actually used your suggestion a couple of times. Sitting on a bench or a table waiting for things to turn up, you get less noticed. The drawback is that you cannot frame as accurately as you could, being fixed and at a lower angle. It's my favourite tactic.

19 hours ago, gvallee said:

They usually say so after the deed. No problems, I delete the shots. 

Most of mine are "con su permiso" and that gets the posing, but then you're someone they talked to and you can ask them to just work on something.   This licensed, and the deaf kid signing was totally a ham:

2HHKKNH.jpg

You can get either really bad posed pictures with the advance question, or find someone who is just marvelous.  Not the only way to do this, but one way.  I'm just going to be a conspicuous foreigner with an expensive camera, so I might as well ask most of the time if I'm close. 

Robert Capra, I believe, that if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.  

Edited by Rebecca Ore
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Most of mine are "con su permiso" and that gets the posing, but then you're someone they talked to and you can ask them to just work on something.   This licensed, and the deaf kid signing was totally a ham:

2HHKKNH.jpg

You can get either really bad posed pictures with the advance question, or find someone who is just marvelous.  Not the only way to do this, but one way.  I'm just going to be a conspicuous foreigner with an expensive camera, so I might as well ask most of the time if I'm close. 

Robert Capra, I believe, that if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.  

This is the only time I ever asked permission. To be honest, being very hard of hearing, I didn't hear what he mumbled for a reply and took my chances. It was too good to resist. 

2A86XPA.jpg

• Love 4

Wow! We're at the end of the month and without the chit chat, there is only one page of Favourites Images for March. Isn't anybody uploading? Or is everyone demoralized? Or can't be bothered with the Forum any more? Or??

My latest, taken last week.

Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) feeding on the fruit on an Umbrella Tree (Schefflera actinophylla). Right overhead where we're camped. It's a spectacular bird, even if common, and it didn't take much effort! Such a racket they make in the morning and evening! Defeaning. It kills a conversation.

2PHWMCP.jpg

2PHWMFG.jpg

Male Yellow Figbird (Sphecotheres viridis, Northern race)  feeding in the rain on the fruit of an Umbrella Tree (Schefflera actinophylla), Far North Queensland

2PHWMFW.jpg

2PHWMKN.jpg

• Love 4

It's been so wet and grey here most days that I don't seem to have taken many photos I like this month, but here's a few.

The Knife Angel sculpture, which was outside Guildford Cathedral this month - it is made from knives confiscated by the police or handed in during knife amnesties, and has an anti-aggression message.

2-march-2023-the-knife-angel-sculpture-b

An image from our only snowy day of the winter

snow-scene-in-forest-or-woodland-at-caes

Crocus field

inkpen-crocus-field-in-march-with-flower

My nephew's art exhibition in Beaulieu Palace House - he was the artist in residence there.

exhibition-of-paintings-by-artist-in-res

Shoveler duck

northern-shoveler-anas-clypeata-or-alter

• Love 2
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

It's been so wet and grey here most days that I don't seem to have taken many photos I like this month, but here's a few.

The Knife Angel sculpture, which was outside Guildford Cathedral this month - it is made from knives confiscated by the police or handed in during knife amnesties, and has an anti-aggression message.

An image from our only snowy day of the winter

snow-scene-in-forest-or-woodland-at-caes

Crocus field

inkpen-crocus-field-in-march-with-flower

My nephew's art exhibition in Beaulieu Palace House - he was the artist in residence there.

exhibition-of-paintings-by-artist-in-res

Shoveler duck

northern-shoveler-anas-clypeata-or-alter

This is brilliant! I used to live in Shalford, amongst other locations, just outside Guildford, but this is well after my time. Very nice shots. I love them.

Good point. Living with the sun all year round, I didn't think about the season/weather in the UK or Northern hemisphere. However, it also perhaps means that togs have no backlog to edit. Lucky them. I am racing through mine before hitting the road again soon.

3 minutes ago, gvallee said:

This is brilliant! I used to live in Shalford, amongst other locations, just outside Guildford, but this is well after my time. Very nice shots. I love them.

Good point. Living with the sun all year round, I didn't think about the season/weather in the UK or Northern hemisphere. However, it also perhaps means that togs have no backlog to edit. Lucky them. I am racing through mine before hitting the road again soon.

Ah yes, I know Shalford quite well. The Knife Angel is touring around the country, and is only at Guildford Cathedral for the month. It was very impressive, and thought-provoking. The weather is certainly an issue here for photography. We had virtually no rain in February, and then a lot in March, so there's lots of lovely spring flowers around but the wet and windy conditions are making it difficult to get nice photos.

• Like 1

Second automated QC pass today. Racing, racing to catch up with my backlog...

Monsoon clouds over the Coral Sea and other moods

2PHXRKK.jpg

2PHXRP1.jpg

2PHXRY4.jpg

2PHXT1J.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 23:49, gvallee said:

This is the only time I ever asked permission. To be honest, being very hard of hearing, I didn't hear what he mumbled for a reply and took my chances. It was too good to resist. 

2A86XPA.jpg

I think it was John Hurt who said that he had a face that looked not so much lived in as fought over.

Edited by spacecadet

On 30/03/2023 at 06:32, gvallee said:

We're at the end of the month and without the chit chat, there is only one page of Favourites Images for March.

I haven't uploaded any images I really like recently Gen 

Not massively into Star Wars lego 😆

Edited by Steve F

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

I haven't uploaded any images I really like recently Gen 

Not massively into Star Wars lego 😆

I uploaded a purely editorial one last week, sold today. So boring that I won't bother showing it in the Sold Images thread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I uploaded a purely editorial one last week, sold today. So boring

Welcome to my world 🤣

It's not so pretty in Basingstoke. Winchester is nice though..... But not a patch on the great outback 🙃

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Welcome to my world 🤣

It's not so pretty in Basingstoke. Winchester is nice though..... But not a patch on the great outback 🙃

In the past few days, I've been staying at super scenic locations in the rainforest bordered by deserted beaches fringed by palm trees with incredible sunrises. But... it's not what sells. I'm sure you're better off sales wise with Winchester.

• Thanks 1

Here’s a Polenta Blackberry and Lemon cake. I bought this slice in a Bristol cafe but liked it so much I’ve bought some Polenta (Italian corn flour) to try and make my own version…

a-large-slice-or-portion-of-freshly-bake

a-display-of-spring-bulbs-and-flowers-ou

a-uk-street-side-no-waiting-and-no-loadi

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 2