LAte payment- the new normal?

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Well I'm told that the arrangements for business payments are quite different, they don't use the faster payments route and typically take 3 days here. But not 8. There's also a currency conversion step as Alamy pays in dollars (this costs us 3% BTW!) but your point is well made. Why an extra 4 days now- it's a fair assumption that someone is benefiting.

So the cycle has got longer, 4 to 8 days, it's not random.

BTW what do you do to get that advance notice? I don't get it, or, at least, don't know how to find it.

We bank with Starling. It’s shown in the app as a payment coming in. It does that with all payments coming in to the account, normally one working day prior to it being paid in. We have a couple of other bank accounts but Starling is the only app that shows pending receipts.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Rubbish!!

I wrote two cheques yesterday to pay money from my bank current account into two building society savings accounts. Checking my current account this morning both cheques show as cleared.

I transfer money and pay bills using online banking and it always reaches the payee within two hours, if not sooner.

Now the 9th February and still awaiting my payment!!!

When I read the monthly sales threads I would say that for most Alamy forum contributors the amount of money they are now having to wait a few days extra for is hardly life-changing. 

If the payment comes in every month on the 8th or 9th rather than 3rd or 4th it will not make any material difference to me. If that change means that Alamy saves or makes some money to help keep itself in business I can see the sense of it. It is not costing me anything.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

hardly life-changing. 

Some of us are not so fortunate. The point is that it changed without notice and Alamy will not explain why. It seems to be a symptom of a change of attitude.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Some of us are not so fortunate. The point is that it changed without notice and Alamy will not explain why. It seems to be a symptom of a change of attitude.

I think the 'change of attitude' was made abundantly clear when the commission was cut to 40% . 

What is clear is that Alamy is a business and seeks to minimise costs and maximise profits. 

Alamy will keep usinformed as and when it wants to. 

Edited by geogphotos

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Agreed, some of us are not so fortunate and are in situations where every penny counts.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

How far would you like to extend that principle? Payment a year in arrears?

Mark

I would prefer a lot of things in life, but in the end have to make do with quite a lot that isn't ideal. 😁

Waiting four or five extra days for payment makes little difference to me. 

With my other agency I have to wait until the 15th February to find out about sales in December 2022 and then will be paid at the end of February. 

Alamy reduced the payment threshold from $250 to $50 so they have a lot more payments to make much more frequently. Presuambly they have found a way that saves them money or perhaps makes them a bit in interest.

Edited by geogphotos

On 08/02/2023 at 11:18, Allan Bell said:

I think I was going to be paid on 1st Feb then it changed to 1st March.

The Feb payment would have been just over the limit but as there seems to be more payments being made Alamy probably delayed payment to allow these new payments for images used to be added to what I was going to receive.

This in my eyes is common sense and I approve in my case.  Of course if the total Feb payment had already been much bigger I might think differently.

Allan

Just checked back and find Alamy did send a payment to me on 1st Feb which has not shown in my account as yet. Allowing for their 9 working day wait it should be in on Monday 13th.  Arrrrgh!

Allan

54 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Just checked back and find Alamy did send a payment to me on 1st Feb which has not shown in my account as yet. Allowing for their 9 working day wait it should be in on Monday 13th.  Arrrrgh!

Allan

It's poor, isn't it Allan

K

• Thanks 1

Just to play devils advocate for a bit The Alamy contract on payment No12.3 " Alamy will pay you the Cleared Funds within 30 days of the first day of the month, if, at the start of the first day of that month" etc.

The wording on account balance is "should receive" I suppose if push came to shove a smart Alamy lawyer would quickly point out the difference between "should" which is not in the contract and "will" which is.

And yes 13 days sucks.

Andy.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 17:56, Allan Bell said:

Allan

PayPal notified me this morning that my Alamy payment is in.  Based on $ exchange rate at the time Alamy paid on the 1st Feb it is about what I thought it would be in £.

Allan