New memory cards?

8 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I can see the sense in that but I can't really do that as Lightroom takes an age to register all the (previously imported) images on the card before I can download the latest ones, maybe there's a way round that though?

I copy folders from the card to my C drive then import from there. I don't import into LR from the card at all. It's a hangover from the days BL (Before Lightroom).

Edited by spacecadet

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's amazing, Ognyan! Good for you. I have a hellish time just getting the card out of my Sony a6000. Oh! I'll use my tweezer!

It was indeed, I still couldn't believe I did it 🙂

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Doh! Why didn't I think of that. Will try that next time.

Hope I haven't mucked up your work process now with my fancy notions!

Occasionally I forget and leave the card in after copying and LR then wants to import from it. You then lose your bookmark in the Source panel. A minor annoyance I suppose.

Edited by spacecadet

Were you there in 1963 Ed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLrKDFon5i2/?hl=en-gb

joel_meyerowitz

"Henri Cartier-Bresson, NYC, 1963. -- Tony Ray Jones and I spotted HCB after the St. Paddy's day parade up on E.86 St. Tony suggested I go over and ask him if he is, in fact, Cartier-Bresson. We were two young bearded guys, and I remember I was wearing a WW2 parka with a raggy fur collar. When I finally asked him if he is… he said; "‘are you ze police?" I replied: "no, just 2 guys learning to shoot!" to which he said: "Yes, I am Cartier-Bresson. Meet me here when ze action quiets down and I’ll take you for coffee." And we did! After that, whenever I saw him in NY and Paris, he was always just as friendly."

I have had a couple of cards fail, back when I was using CF cards with my Nikon D700s.  Since using the Nikon D850, I am using XQD cards and have had no issues.  I have five 64gb cards and use them A LOT.  Like John, I am weary of getting too big of cards, as I would rather fill multiple smaller cards than have one big one fail.   Of course if someone is shooting video, then you need as big of cards as you can get.  

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, their prices must be wrong, I didn't click on the links. In the UK on Amazon the 64GB SDXC Extreme Pro '200MB/s' card is only £15.80. That's a very good price in fact.

I've been using recently purchased 4 x 64GB and 2 x 128GB cards from Amazon as above, no issues, good prices.

35 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Were you there in 1963 Ed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLrKDFon5i2/?hl=en-gb

joel_meyerowitz

"Henri Cartier-Bresson, NYC, 1963. -- Tony Ray Jones and I spotted HCB after the St. Paddy's day parade up on E.86 St. Tony suggested I go over and ask him if he is, in fact, Cartier-Bresson. We were two young bearded guys, and I remember I was wearing a WW2 parka with a raggy fur collar. When I finally asked him if he is… he said; "‘are you ze police?" I replied: "no, just 2 guys learning to shoot!" to which he said: "Yes, I am Cartier-Bresson. Meet me here when ze action quiets down and I’ll take you for coffee." And we did! After that, whenever I saw him in NY and Paris, he was always just as friendly."

LOL I was in NYC in '63 (moved to Rome in late '64) and I did spot HCB shooting that parade! I also spotted him on the Left Bank in Paris, but don't remember when. Probably in the '70s. It did't occur to me to say hello. 🙂

And sooth, thanks for all that information. No Chinatown in DC? That sucks! 

8 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I don't even have any 32GB cards. I've used a pair of 16GB SanDisk Ultra CFs in my 5D2 for at least 8 years, plus an 8GB standby which I've probably had since the camera was new 13 years ago. I also have two 16GB SDs, an Extreme in my NEX6 and an Extreme Plus in my Tascam DR60.

The only time I've had a card fail is an 8GB CF after I installed Magic Lantern on it and it was never the same after.

Alan

That sounds like me. I've been using a pair 16GB cards with 8GB backups for years. Having 32GB cards will be quite novel. It can take me ages to fill up 16GB. In fact, these days I could probably get by with a 1GB card.😬

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have had a couple of cards fail, back when I was using CF cards with my Nikon D700s.  Since using the Nikon D850, I am using XQD cards and have had no issues.  I have five 64gb cards and use them A LOT.  Like John, I am weary of getting too big of cards, as I would rather fill multiple smaller cards than have one big one fail.   Of course if someone is shooting video, then you need as big of cards as you can get.  

Also, the conventional wisdom used to be that smaller capacity cards were more stable than high capacity ones -- i.e. there was less chance of them messing up. Given improvements in the technology, that may have changed. I get the impression from responses so far that most forum members keep their cards for a number of years. No doubt it depends on how much use they get. In my case it's not that much. I still shoot more or less like I did in film days -- aperture priority, single shot mode most of the time. I do take several frames to ensure sharpness. However, I don't eat up up a lot of space on cards.

Edited by John Mitchell

I can't remember the last time I bought a new memory card, I've never had one fail - hopefully not tempting fate !

For years I took the cards out of the camera to download, but in recent times I've just connected the camera to the computer using the USB port.  I seem to recall that it is necessary to use the Sony supplied  cable for this to work. Saves wear on the card etc.

Like John I am very parsimonious in my shooting, I'll normally just take the one or two shots, then check that the exposure and sharpness is ok, before moving on. I have no need for large amounts of storage. Furthermore this reduces the amount of time spent procrastinating in front of the computer screen, wondering which images to retain or delete.

I think one of the worst things you can do these days is to be removing cards from the camera constantly to place them in devices to upload content to your computer/hard drive and then taking card out of device and replacing in camera.

With the Sony cameras I use it is a simple matter to upload images off the card via USB connection. The card is then not prone to physical damage.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I think one of the worst things you can do these days is to be removing cards from the camera constantly to place them in devices to upload content to your computer/hard drive and then taking card out of device and replacing in camera.

With the Sony cameras I use it is a simple matter to upload images off the card via USB connection. The card is then not prone to physical damage.

Allan

I would have disagreed and said the card is explicitly designed to be removed repeatedly, but then I've had one with a damaged case, so maybe not so fast and whatever works for you.

While I did have the split case I did find it inconvenient to have the camera on the desktop with a lead attached but it's an SLT so rather larger.

Having to switch between mass storage and tether modes is a bit of a faff as well. Cable transfer also uses battery power and can be slower, but not much. My all-in-one has a built in card reader so I will stick with it.

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2023 at 10:33, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, their prices must be wrong, I didn't click on the links. In the UK on Amazon the 64GB SDXC Extreme Pro '200MB/s' card is only £15.80. That's a very good price in fact.

I have found

https://www.picstop.co.uk/memory-cards.html

one of the cheapest around the UK as there is no VAT payable on there products.