Which anti-virus software ?

...i just wondered what anti-virus software people were using - and would you rate it as good, bad or just so-so ?

I've been using NORTON for a while, and to be honest, i find it over-priced, over complex, and my subscription is over-due... so i might just switch to something else.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

GD

I've been using BitDefender for several years now. As far as I am aware it has successfully protected me from infections and attacks, but one never knows if something has sneakily slipped in the backdoor and out again - or am I just paranoid?

I use the Total Security package which protects up to five devices (family computers and android phones in my case) for £35 per annum introductory offer. The full price is nearly £70 per annum, but every year so far I've been offered an early-bird renewal discount which has kept the renewal at around £35-40.

My main computer is now showing its age - Microsoft have reported that it is unfit to upgrade to Windows 11 - and this may be why I feel Bitdefender sometimes spends a long time doing scans and impacts the speed of the computer when at work. However, it does seem to provide a comprehensive package and even scans my Network Attached Storage drives. I like  the Safepay feature which opens sites for banking and other sensitive work in a separate protected desktop which protects you from keylogger software and suchlike - the deep details of how it works are beyond my ken.

I used to use the free version of Avast, until they introduced changes which meant I had to move to a paid version (can't remember precisely why) and in assessing the options at the time Bitdefender looked favourite and I've stuck with it by default really.

This isn't a terribly helpful answer as I don't know whether or not Bitdefender is better or worse than any other security software nowadays.  As far as I I know it has done the job I require it to do, with my only complaint being a noticeable impact on my (old) computer's performance. It's not a so much a problem on the daily quick scan, but very noticeable on the full system scan which I have scheduled weekly.

• Like 1

If you want to carry on with Norton, despite your misgivings, then get a copy of Computer Active magazine. They have a reader offer, Norton 360 Premium, 10 devices, 2 years, for £19.99.

8 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Depending on your hardware it's straightforward to bypass some of the limitations

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

Mark

Thanks for the pointers, Mark. I don't particularly want to install Windows 11, I was just making the point that my machine hasn't been upgraded in since around 2014, which probably explains why Bitdefender seems to rather slow it down. IF the stock photography market picks up in the coming year, I may consider getting a new computer with Windows 11. Mind you, by the time I get to that point I will be probably giving careful consideration as to whether I can afford to turn the flipping thing on, let alone buy a new computer.

I think you do tend to just stick with an anti-virus product until it does something to offend.  I can’t remember how long I’ve been using Norton but I keep threatening to try something else and BitDefender does get good reviews.  But I suspect I may end up sticking with the devil I know.

The computer I use for Photoshop work was new in 2011 and it still chugs along.  (…damn it, now I’ve said that in public it’s bound to keel over next time I switch it on!)

Good tip davidhu re’ Computer Active magazine – many thanks!

I've seen no reason to pay for anti-virus s/w.  I've tried different anti-virus s/w over the years but in last several years have used Windows Defender anti-virus that's built-in Windows 10.  Use it in both my desktop system and a laptop.  Works well, no issues and no viruses with either.   Keep the virus signatures up-to-date.

Just as important as virus protection is to have firewall protection - hardware firewalls builtin to modems/routers are especially effective as they block problems before they get to the computer.  I also use the Windows 10 builtin firewall in a belt-and-suspenders approach.

Edited by Phil

Another Windows Defender user - been using it for years with no problems.

This is from a recent post by the developer of IMatch....

"False positives are becoming a problem these days. Since Windows Defender (built into Windows) has become so good, the anti virus vendors try to be "better" to justify the cost, causing problems along the way..."

• Like 1

I use the free 'Avast One' which is fine as long as you can ignore the obvious invitations/special offers to upgrade to a paid package. I also use the Windows Defender option to do an occasional run on a non-interference basis with Avast (can't remember what the option is called off-hand but it's somewhere in the Windows security settings).)