Jump to content

Amazing historical photos


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The shot of the interior of a German WW1 submarine shows an ergonomic nightmare !  Which wheel did what ???

 

True, but it's no worse than some image-processing programs that I've tried to use. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That first image of the boxing match at Yankee Stadium is just nuts.  Even with today's jumbo tv screens I would not want to be so far away from the action....though boxing would be the last thing I would want to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

True, but it's no worse than some image-processing programs that I've tried to use. 😁

Indeed. I've just concluded my annual tussle with Lightroom, trying to update my copyright message and make that a default preset. At one stage I thought I had succeeded only to find that the copyright preset was embedding unwanted keywords in all imported photos. It's fixed now, but I'm not looking forward to the next round in 2023. I just don't find this software to be at all intuitive, unlike Photoshop that I know and love (most of the time). The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are different versions of LR and you need to find useful Internet guidance that applies to your own copy. 

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

True, but it's no worse than some image-processing programs that I've tried to use. 😁

 

Also pretty much like the user interface of any audio DAW. It took me years to decide which one I had any chance of understanding how to use.

 

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Am I missing something? It took me about 15 seconds, including typing. LR5.

 

So what is the magic formula Mark, I'll save it for next year ?  I guess that part of my problem is that I don't regularly use LR presets so have to search where to find them and then work out how to change them, and then how to set as a default  etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

So what is the magic formula Mark, I'll save it for next year ?  I guess that part of my problem is that I don't regularly use LR presets so have to search where to find them and then work out how to change them, and then how to set as a default  etc

I have the preset at the top of my metadata pane in Library, click on it, edit presets, then save as a new preset or just edit the previous year's and save as "copyright 22"

preset.jpg

I only use that one drop-down as my images don't usually go elsewhere. Then it's just left for the year.

Thanks for the heads-up BTW- turns out my preset last year was blank! Now fixed.

Alt code for the © symbol is 0169 if you want to be pedantic but you can't type that in- I copied and pasted it.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I have the preset at the top of my metadata pane in Library, click on it, edit presets, then save as a new preset or just edit the previous year's and save as "copyright 22"

preset.jpg

I only use that one drop-down as my images don't usually go elsewhere. Then it's just left for the year.

Thanks for the heads-up BTW- turns out my preset last year was blank! Now fixed.

Alt code for the © symbol is 0169 if you want to be pedantic but you can't type that in- I copied and pasted it.

 

Thanks Mark,  does that automatically set the new preset as a default for all subsequent downloads?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

 

Thanks Mark,  does that automatically set the new preset as a default for all subsequent downloads?

Seems to, yes. It stays at the top of the preset window once selected.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed. I've just concluded my annual tussle with Lightroom, trying to update my copyright message and make that a default preset. At one stage I thought I had succeeded only to find that the copyright preset was embedding unwanted keywords in all imported photos. It's fixed now, but I'm not looking forward to the next round in 2023. I just don't find this software to be at all intuitive, unlike Photoshop that I know and love (most of the time). The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are different versions of LR and you need to find useful Internet guidance that applies to your own copy. 

 

Hi, I click on "Preset" under "Metadata" all my presets for copyright come up. Simply change 2021 to 2022 and save as new preset.

 

When I first load new images to LR I highlight all of them then click on the above preset which shows various dates and select 2022. Box comes up asking if I want to put that preset in all images highlighted, click and done.

 

Allan

 

Just like Mark does.

 

ITMA

 

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Seems to, yes. It stays at the top of the preset window once selected.

I have to contradict myself now, seems it behaves as Allan says. You have to highlight and select the preset or it defaults to "none". I've obviously been ignoring it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

That first image of the boxing match at Yankee Stadium is just nuts.  Even with today's jumbo tv screens I would not want to be so far away from the action....though boxing would be the last thing I would want to see.

 

Yes, that's an incredible photo. I actually find it quite scary as I'm not a boxing fan. Punching someone in the head is unimaginable to me. I was mugged once in a tough area of Montreal when I was a kid, and I can still vividly remember being hit in the face (with brass knuckles). It was a horrible, humiliating experience.

 

We're a complicated species, as the images show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Yes, that's an incredible photo. I actually find it quite scary as I'm not a boxing fan. Punching someone in the head is unimaginable to me. I was mugged once in a tough area of Montreal when I was a kid, and I can still vividly remember being hit in the face (with brass knuckles). It was a horrible, humiliating experience.

 

We're a complicated species, as the images show.

Ouch Grim !

 

My only experience of a boxing match came when, still at school and working as a waiter in a bar, they hosted a boxing tournament. I remember seeing blood being spilt, not my idea of a sport, but I guess it takes all sorts.  The following week they hosted a strip show, but I wasn't allowed in as I was deemed to be too young .......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Ouch Grim !

 

My only experience of a boxing match came when, still at school and working as a waiter in a bar, they hosted a boxing tournament. I remember seeing blood being spilt, not my idea of a sport, but I guess it takes all sorts.  The following week they hosted a strip show, but I wasn't allowed in as I was deemed to be too young .......

 

Yup, life's too short and precious to have your brains pounded into mush and your teeth knocked out. At least that's the way I see it. However, it takes all kinds to make this crazy world. We can only hope that the gods know what they're up to.

 

Chances are they'd let you into the strip show now. 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.