Amazing historical photos

John Mitchell

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?imgt=0&qt=Fidel+Castro+and+Malcolm+X+

Three versions of this on Alamy, apparently taken in 1960 so don't know if it is Public Domain.

I suspect there will be a few copies of these amazing pics appearing on Alamy now that you have posted. 

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

True, but it's no worse than some image-processing programs that I've tried to use. 😁

Indeed. I've just concluded my annual tussle with Lightroom, trying to update my copyright message and make that a default preset. At one stage I thought I had succeeded only to find that the copyright preset was embedding unwanted keywords in all imported photos. It's fixed now, but I'm not looking forward to the next round in 2023. I just don't find this software to be at all intuitive, unlike Photoshop that I know and love (most of the time). The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are different versions of LR and you need to find useful Internet guidance that applies to your own copy. 

Edited by Bryan

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

True, but it's no worse than some image-processing programs that I've tried to use. 😁

Also pretty much like the user interface of any audio DAW. It took me years to decide which one I had any chance of understanding how to use.

Alan

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Am I missing something? It took me about 15 seconds, including typing. LR5.

So what is the magic formula Mark, I'll save it for next year ?  I guess that part of my problem is that I don't regularly use LR presets so have to search where to find them and then work out how to change them, and then how to set as a default  etc

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

So what is the magic formula Mark, I'll save it for next year ?  I guess that part of my problem is that I don't regularly use LR presets so have to search where to find them and then work out how to change them, and then how to set as a default  etc

I have the preset at the top of my metadata pane in Library, click on it, edit presets, then save as a new preset or just edit the previous year's and save as "copyright 22"

preset.jpg

I only use that one drop-down as my images don't usually go elsewhere. Then it's just left for the year.

Thanks for the heads-up BTW- turns out my preset last year was blank! Now fixed.

Alt code for the © symbol is 0169 if you want to be pedantic but you can't type that in- I copied and pasted it.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I have the preset at the top of my metadata pane in Library, click on it, edit presets, then save as a new preset or just edit the previous year's and save as "copyright 22"

preset.jpg

I only use that one drop-down as my images don't usually go elsewhere. Then it's just left for the year.

Thanks for the heads-up BTW- turns out my preset last year was blank! Now fixed.

Alt code for the © symbol is 0169 if you want to be pedantic but you can't type that in- I copied and pasted it.

Thanks Mark,  does that automatically set the new preset as a default for all subsequent downloads?

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed. I've just concluded my annual tussle with Lightroom, trying to update my copyright message and make that a default preset. At one stage I thought I had succeeded only to find that the copyright preset was embedding unwanted keywords in all imported photos. It's fixed now, but I'm not looking forward to the next round in 2023. I just don't find this software to be at all intuitive, unlike Photoshop that I know and love (most of the time). The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are different versions of LR and you need to find useful Internet guidance that applies to your own copy. 

Hi, I click on "Preset" under "Metadata" all my presets for copyright come up. Simply change 2021 to 2022 and save as new preset.

When I first load new images to LR I highlight all of them then click on the above preset which shows various dates and select 2022. Box comes up asking if I want to put that preset in all images highlighted, click and done.

Allan

Just like Mark does.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Seems to, yes. It stays at the top of the preset window once selected.

I have to contradict myself now, seems it behaves as Allan says. You have to highlight and select the preset or it defaults to "none". I've obviously been ignoring it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

That first image of the boxing match at Yankee Stadium is just nuts.  Even with today's jumbo tv screens I would not want to be so far away from the action....though boxing would be the last thing I would want to see.

Yes, that's an incredible photo. I actually find it quite scary as I'm not a boxing fan. Punching someone in the head is unimaginable to me. I was mugged once in a tough area of Montreal when I was a kid, and I can still vividly remember being hit in the face (with brass knuckles). It was a horrible, humiliating experience.

We're a complicated species, as the images show.

45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, that's an incredible photo. I actually find it quite scary as I'm not a boxing fan. Punching someone in the head is unimaginable to me. I was mugged once in a tough area of Montreal when I was a kid, and I can still vividly remember being hit in the face (with brass knuckles). It was a horrible, humiliating experience.

We're a complicated species, as the images show.

Ouch Grim !

My only experience of a boxing match came when, still at school and working as a waiter in a bar, they hosted a boxing tournament. I remember seeing blood being spilt, not my idea of a sport, but I guess it takes all sorts.  The following week they hosted a strip show, but I wasn't allowed in as I was deemed to be too young .......

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Ouch Grim !

My only experience of a boxing match came when, still at school and working as a waiter in a bar, they hosted a boxing tournament. I remember seeing blood being spilt, not my idea of a sport, but I guess it takes all sorts.  The following week they hosted a strip show, but I wasn't allowed in as I was deemed to be too young .......

Yup, life's too short and precious to have your brains pounded into mush and your teeth knocked out. At least that's the way I see it. However, it takes all kinds to make this crazy world. We can only hope that the gods know what they're up to.

Chances are they'd let you into the strip show now. 🙃