Sale Fees - what a contrast!

14 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

2 of the 4 cents.  And since with a gross price of 15 cents, this would mean a Distributor sale, For China, which is Excluded from countries i allow Distributors, so how can that be Alamy????? 

meanderingemu, if you check the license details you'll see "Start - 01-January-1900" - long, long time ago before you opted out of distribution to China.

😏😏😏

I have one of them today, as well .... and they've picked the best one from the series. Sigh

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

Just now, Ognyan Yosifov said:

meanderingemu, if you check the license details you'll see "Start - 01-January-1900" - long, long time ago before you opted out of distribution to China.

😏😏😏

I have one of them today, as well ....

but i wasn't opted In in any distributor scheme in 1900.  Opting in is Not automatic, it is a decision made by contributor. 

This is crazy. I just had a similar sale today. RF image for $0.15 gross, $0.04 net, China. It's significantly less than the minimum I get from micro-stock where the volumes are also much higher A colleague (not on the forum) has also reported 3 similar Alamy sales today, and the "other" forum is reporting more.

Alamy, what are you doing? It's time you introduced minimum $ pricing (or at least commission). 

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

This is crazy. I just had a similar sale today. RF image for $0.15 gross, $0.04 net, China. It's significantly less than the minimum I get from micro-stock where the volumes are also much higher A colleague (not on the forum) has also reported 3 similar Alamy sales today, and the "other" forum is reporting more.

Alamy, what are you doing? It's time you introduced minimum $ pricing (or at least commission). 

Mark 

Only one?  I had 32 of those sales today.  Micro, macro, muck.

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Sorry but I always have a huge feeling of irony when those selling on micros complain about why Alamy is selling at micro fees.

Duh!

Indeed. But, like others here I put a small collection on micro-stock as an experiment. So (for the irony) if Alamy had treated us better I’d never have felt compelled to experiment. The results have been very interesting and have given me a better insight into how my images perform under each business model. For now I’m happy to keep a limited presence on various other platforms, including  POD as well, rather than having all my “eggs” in one basket.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I thought I was going to miss out on all the Christmas cheer, but alas, a sale came through!

my cut - $0.04

30 December 2021 Royalty-free 6 MB
1750 x 1167 pixels 
334KB compressed
China
$ 0.15
Edited by njene

I got a new years present of 9 of those huge $0.15 sales for which I got the huge sum of $0.04  - so $0.36 total.    Alamy really should put a floor on the lowest price images can be sold for.  It does bring my total number of sales to a tie with my previous best year. I wonder if my total take will be half of what I made that year though.

• Like 1

Seems like Alamy are flogging a lot of very low priced images if this forum is anything to go by. I've had 16 in Dec. It must run in hundreds of images maybe thousands across their contributors.

Surely this can't be a sustainable business model for Alamy. It's certainly not sustainable as a photographer.

13 minutes ago, wilkopix said:

Seems like Alamy are flogging a lot of very low priced images if this forum is anything to go by. I've had 16 in Dec. It must run in hundreds of images maybe thousands across their contributors.

Surely this can't be a sustainable business model for Alamy. It's certainly not sustainable as a photographer.

Let's assume this deal resulted in 100,000 licences.  Alamy made 5 cents per image.  So $5000, only one time reporting all at year end, no need to track individual client. I assume they will received the fee in one entry, so the accounting is probably minimum, so this is probably a positive entry on the bottom line.

To me the main cost for Alamy is the reputation risk within the contributor industry, and based on last year, this is a hard thing for me to be convinced that they put much value on. 

4 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Let's assume this deal resulted in 100,000 licences.  Alamy made 5 cents per image.  So $5000, only one time reporting all at year end, no need to track individual client. I assume they will received the fee in one entry, so the accounting is probably minimum, so this is probably a positive entry on the bottom line.

To me the main cost for Alamy is the reputation risk within the contributor industry, and based on last year, this is a hard thing for me to be convinced that they put much value on. 

Let's hope they're not re-selling them. I would keep an eye out on Baidu.

wim

• Love 1

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Sadly I think we are a long way from Alamy giving two hoots about the contributors anymore. It's now about shareholders and dividends. We'd all probably earn more by selling our photographic equipment and the cost of doing stock shoots and investing it in PA shares instead :)

• Like 2