Where is Adobe hiding the adjustment brush settings now in ACR?

Finally decided to try and get through some of the images I have backlogged on my sd cards.  Took an image today of 17 mourning doves sitting in my maple tree in front of my house.  Loaded into ACR, and of course there is a lot of CA.  Removed CA, still some stubborn ones there.  So desaturated greens and purples in a couple of places.  Got rid of the purples but I have some real stubborn greens still hanging in there.  I figure I'll go into the adjustment brush and defringe around the branches and twigs that are clinging to those pesky green strips.

Now I have no problems finding the adjustment brush, but all it does is give me the settings for the brush itself. I cannot figure out where Adobe has hidden all the different settings to use with the adjustment brush. I do wish they would stop moving stuff around. There are some programmers over at Adobe with a sick sense of humour.

Jill

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

It's now part of the masking tools, 4th tool down on extreme right. It's more powerful than before but also more complex IMHO. I preferred it the way it was.

Screenshot-at-Nov-28-19-45-55.png

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Jill

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

It's now part of the masking tools, 4th tool down on extreme right. It's more powerful than before but also more complex IMHO. I preferred it the way it was.

Screenshot-at-Nov-28-19-45-55.png

Mark

Ohhh. I see that it was updated on my laptop and I much prefer the old way...but I am not a fan of change much.

5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

...... Loaded into ACR, and of course there is a lot of CA.  Removed CA, still some stubborn ones there....

Do you allow ACR to download the profile for your lens? .....

...ACR - 'Optics' - tick 'Remove chromatic aberration' and 'Use profile corrections'. 

Seems to work for me - I almost never have to correct CA manually. 

Of course, this assumes there is a profile available for your particular lens.

1 minute ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Do you allow ACR to download the profile for your lens? .....

...ACR - 'Optics' - tick 'Remove chromatic aberration' and 'Use profile corrections'. 

Seems to work for me - I almost never have to correct CA manually. 

Of course, this assumes there is a profile available for your particular lens.

I had already done that, plus removed all green and purple saturation.  Some CA is very stubborn.

Jill

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned the name of the Adobe app that has this tool. It is of course assumed that everyone knows.

. . . BUT I DON'T KNOW.

They are talking about Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) but the exact same tools are in Lightroom Classic. Contrary to the general negativity in this thread, caused it seems by irrational fear of the new, in my opinion the latest version is quite an upgrade over the previous and is not difficult to learn. There are numerous tutorials out there already and the online guidance reveals all.

Edited by MDM

Ah so! Thanks, Michael.

I have Adobe CC and so I have Camera Raw. But I don't use it. I do use LR Classic and the latest PS. When I have a tech problem I am aware that most of the time the fault is with me . . . but

An irrational fear of the new is a major part of my personality. 🤪

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah so! Thanks, Michael.

I have Adobe CC and so I have Camera Raw. But I don't use it. I do use LR Classic and the latest PS. When I have a tech problem I am aware that most of the time the fault is with me . . . but

An irrational fear of the new is a major part of my personality. 🤪

Yes Edo but at 87 you have a good excuse to avoid the new and you are doing very well keeping up with all the new technology. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

They are talking about Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) but the exact same tools are in Lightroom Classic. Contrary to the general negativity in this thread, caused it seems by irrational fear of the new, in my opinion the latest version is quite an upgrade over the previous and is not difficult to learn. There are numerous tutorials out there already and the online guidance reveals all.

I have no problem with new, it's just that frustration when you are used to something and it gets changed again.  Like going to the grocery store and they have moved everything around. An inconvenience of time as opposed to education.

Jill

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have no problem with new, it's just that frustration when you are used to something and it gets changed again.  Like going to the grocery store and they have moved everything around. An inconvenience of time as opposed to education.

Jill

+1

I'm going to be a bit contrary here!

I think the changes to the radial/linear/brush tools in LR are a massive step forward.

The AI sky/subject detector is really impressive and the options to add/subtract to masks using any of the tools is a major improvement.

I can now do so much more in LR whereas before I'd have had to use PS.

So change in this instance gets the big thumbs up from me. 👍

Phil

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

It depends on whether the change brings new functionality or ultimate ease of use. As Phil points out, the changes in Lightroom (and ACR) are generally very positive and useful so were not done by Adobe just for the sake of change. Being able to make such detailed selections using the Select Object feature allows one to work selectively on raw files in a way that was not previously possible. This is a potentially amazingly useful feature. And as I said above there are excellentand easily accessible tutorials on all these features as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You two Irish-Spanish guys have convinced me to do some techno fooling around in LR.

Phil, don't you still do your cleaning up in PS? 

I don't know about Phil but I still do any spot removal or cloning in Photoshop using the healing brush tools which remain a lot more powerful than the Lightroom versions. The Photoshop ones are pressure-sensitive as well if using a tablet whereas I don't think Lightroom or ACR have yet incorporated the concept of pressure-sensitivity. 

• Like 2

I like the new tools too (especially the sky selector), but it now seems more complicated to apply a simple brush adjustment. I see why Adobe have grouped all these masking/selection tools together as it's perfectly logical and opens the door to much more sophisticated adjustments. So I'll miss the previous simplicity but, if I can remember to press "K" to bring up the brush tools (instead of looking for the brush tool with the mouse), I'll soon get used to it.

Mark

46 minutes ago, MDM said:

I still do any spot removal or cloning in Photoshop using the healing brush tools which remain a lot more powerful than the Lightroom versions.

You hit the nail on the head there. If LR's clone and heal tools were more like PS then I'd probably most PP in LR. I suppose the thing with LR/ACR is the non-destructive nature, so all adjustments have to be simple to define/store in the xmp. Therefore LR clone/heal is restricted to copying existing pixels from one area of the image to another. Or maybe I've misunderstood.

Mark

27 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I like the new tools too (especially the sky selector), but it now seems more complicated to apply a simple brush adjustment. I see why Adobe have grouped all these masking/selection tools together as it's perfectly logical and opens the door to much more sophisticated adjustments. So I'll miss the previous simplicity but, if I can remember to press "K" to bring up the brush tools (instead of looking for the brush tool with the mouse), I'll soon get used to it.

Yes having a few keyboard shortcuts memorised is a real timesaver. I mainly use the linear and radial gradient tools and know the shortcuts for those as well as the features I use most. I read some time back that when they designed LR it was decided not to allow much customisation including shortcuts so that the interface would remain pretty constant and easy to use. It has remained pretty constant over the years even though there have been huge changes in functionality but I would like to be able to use my own shortcuts.

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

You two Irish-Spanish guys have convinced me to do some techno fooling around in LR.

Phil, don't you still do your cleaning up in PS? 

Small spots are disapearable with LR but bigger work still needs clone tool in PS. 
phil

On 30/11/2021 at 18:34, MDM said:

It depends on whether the change brings new functionality or ultimate ease of use. As Phil points out, the changes in Lightroom (and ACR) are generally very positive and useful so were not done by Adobe just for the sake of change. Being able to make such detailed selections using the Select Object feature allows one to work selectively on raw files in a way that was not previously possible. This is a potentially amazingly useful feature. And as I said above there are excellentand easily accessible tutorials on all these features as well.

Totally agree. It's now possible to create precision luminosity masks and use luminosity blending in Lightroom and ACR really quickly rather than having to do it in Photoshop. Well worth taking a few minutes to play around with it. It's quite a huge leap forward for ACR & Lightroom.

• Like 2