Lacking Inspiration?

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am.

Went out yesterday with my smaller bag and two Sonys. The light was attractive, sunshine at a lower angle this time of year this far north. But I did no snapping. Two many negative issues crowding my day I guess. 🤔

Edo,

Some days you just need to put the camera to your eye and start making images.  Hey at least with digital you can just delete them latter.....

Don't think you need my advice, but above is my 1 1/2 cents.....

Chuck

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I remember Guy Fawkes Day when I was a little kid living in London. It scared the pants off me. Vancouver has recently banned fireworks except for public displays, a good thing IMO.

There probably is no cure... 🤠

Somebody behind me, teens, set off what sounded like Ed’s howitzers the 4th of July in ‘20. I have a heart condition, and no how much I tried to steal myself from the next “bomb” blast, the more I jumped, until my heart became very irregular. It’s like when you know something is coming, but not when, that when it finally happens you react in the worst way. I was jerking hard enough to feel like I’d break bones. All I needed was JAWS music.

I don’t mind the regular, moderate fireworks. And I understand how much the youth like them, I once set them off, too. But what was set off near me was illegal, banned fireworks. Not that the city has any control. I don’t think they even try to enforce the ban.

I can’t imagine how bad it was for animals and birds.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yankee humour, Betty? Sounds like something that might call for medication. And as coincidence has it, I trimmed my toenails this morning. 

You're in the wrong part of Kansas to get that great BBQ I had in Kansas City. Famous place, but I've forgotten the name.

The fireworks have started; it's Guy Fawkes Day. I don't do fireworks unless they're using a Howitzer. 

It’s probably and hour and a half to Kansas City. My luck, I’d drive there and the place would have gone out of business due to Covid. There’s been a lot of restaurant closings here in Wichita. Nobody can find workers willing to work.

I love BBQ. I have a dry rub I’ve put together that is killer. Spicy with just enough sweet. My family, even though I set bottled BBQ sauce on the table, seldom reach for it because the rub flavor is so good. I do realize there is a lot of discord and argument about BBQ flavors, though. I like mine a little sweet and spicy, but not spicy to the point of burning lips.

Considering how the price of meat has skyrocketed, it’ll be a while before I buy ribs again.

• Dislike 1

46 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s probably and hour and a half to Kansas City. My luck, I’d drive there and the place would have gone out of business due to Covid. There’s been a lot of restaurant closings here in Wichita. Nobody can find workers willing to work.

I love BBQ. I have a dry rub I’ve put together that is killer. Spicy with just enough sweet. My family, even though I set bottled BBQ sauce on the table, seldom reach for it because the rub flavor is so good. I do realize there is a lot of discord and argument about BBQ flavors, though. I like mine a little sweet and spicy, but not spicy to the point of burning lips.

Considering how the price of meat has skyrocketed, it’ll be a while before I buy ribs again.

Sounds like you make em the way I like em!!  Love BBQ!  Yes, the problem with finding young people to work in restaurants is a big problem here too.  My friend who has small chain of bakery cafes, had to close one due to lack of staff.  You see signs everywhere for help wanted.  I guess I should shoot some pics of some.

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yup, it's tough to find anything good to say about fireworks. Not only are they bad for humans but for other sentient beings as well. They must terrify birds and other wildlife, not to mention pets. You need to talk with Mr. Fawkes about this... 🎆

I couldn't agree more. When our rescue cat Bran first came to us he would hide under a chair as fireworks exploded nearby. Three years on last night he sat on the sofa next to my wife, but still winced as the bangs occurred. We have foxes in our area, I saw a wonderfully healthy looking one a few nights ago, and it had road sense as it waited by the kerb and only crossed the road after I passed. All wildlife too must be affected by fireworks. A big problem is that fireworks are let off forever earlier and later from November 5th. Dedicated firework shops are open all year.

Leaving the car on the drive and taking the train to Manchester today, normally we walk, cycle, or take the bus locally, but the car is the tractor that tows our small caravan., takes heavy stuff to the dump etc.  Cars are not intrinsically evil, but people get lazy and use them unnecessarily when there are better alternatives. I cycled to work for the last 20 years of my proper job, yet I have friends who drive a few hundred yards rather than walk.

We're staying for a couple of nights, so having to cart spare clothes and present for the latest grandchild, which means no room for the camera bag and lenses. However the Sony 100 will be in my pocket. Weather forecast not great so possibilities for stock photography low to zero.  

Re motivation, when the sun shines and the autumn colour is all around it's not difficult to want to capture the scene. Autumn and spring are the two best seasons for landscape photography - although, if  you can stand the cold, winter snow and sun is rather special too....

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Your story reminded me of this one.

It is odd that while trains were stopped the dog was hit and killed by a train, hence this quote from the article - 

'Then, anonymous rumours emerged alleging TransLink staff had decided to run the trains before they had secured the dog.'

If the above is found to be true, it's likely there will be many who would like to see whoever made the decision to start running the trains before the dog was rescued thrown onto the track, an eye for an eye. Of course it would never happen, but this might end up showing how some people have no respect for animal life.

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Same here, not very inspired to go out and shoot stock, just for stock.  If I am out doing something else and an opportunity arises, I will take advantage of it.  Back in the good ole days, I put together fairly expensive trips just for the sake of stock and it was worth it...not anymore.

I am inspired to photograph, I find there is always something interesting, topical, a scene to photograph before it changes or as it changes, such as with HS2 construction in my locality. Where I am not inspired is to travel long distances, I'm also limiting my trips into London that had started to grow again. Today I will be in nearby Oxford, but will end the day buying Christmas presents from shops we don't have locally, it's a trip I would have undertaken anyway.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sb photos said:

It is odd that while trains were stopped the dog was hit and killed by a train, hence this quote from the article - 

'Then, anonymous rumours emerged alleging TransLink staff had decided to run the trains before they had secured the dog.'

If the above is found to be true, it's likely there will be many who would like to see whoever made the decision to start running the trains before the dog was rescued thrown onto the track, an eye for an eye. Of course it would never happen, but this might end up showing how some people have no respect for animal life.

Winnie the Pooh put it well: "If people were superior to animals, they'd take good care of them." 🧸

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Leaving the car on the drive and taking the train to Manchester today, normally we walk, cycle, or take the bus locally, but the car is the tractor that tows our small caravan., takes heavy stuff to the dump etc.  Cars are not intrinsically evil, but people get lazy and use them unnecessarily when there are better alternatives. I cycled to work for the last 20 years of my proper job, yet I have friends who drive a few hundred yards rather than walk.

We're staying for a couple of nights, so having to cart spare clothes and present for the latest grandchild, which means no room for the camera bag and lenses. However the Sony 100 will be in my pocket. Weather forecast not great so possibilities for stock photography low to zero.  

Re motivation, when the sun shines and the autumn colour is all around it's not difficult to want to capture the scene. Autumn and spring are the two best seasons for landscape photography - although, if  you can stand the cold, winter snow and sun is rather special too....

Regarding your mention of short journeys in cars. I live about 15 minutes uphill walk to our local shopping centre. Often as I walk up I see cars moving out of drives and heading in that direction and sure enough the drivers, perfectly healthy, are just coming out of one shop or another with a couple of items in their hands. So not using the car because they are doing a big shop that needs a car to carry it.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell