Can't Turn Camera Off!

I use a Kindle Fire to read virtual books. My Fire is at least 5-years old. Curious about it this day, I turned on the camera, just looking around. Now I can't turn it off or find my way back to the general menu. I've done Amazon searches but found no answers. 

Help!!! Please. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I use a Kindle Fire to read virtual books. My Fire is at least 5-years old. Curious about it this day, I turned on the camera, just looking around. Now I can't turn it off or find my way back to the general menu. I've done Amazon searches but found no answers. 

Help!!! Please. 

I had a problem today with my iPhone not wanting to show my mail so I shut it down completely and it was OK when I put it back on. I don't know how the KindleFire works but there is probably a way to shut it completely rather than sleeping it. Press the button for a long time?

Paulette

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Help!!! Please. 

I do the same with my Amazon Fire, use it to read books.  As Paulette says, hold the button down and eventually a screen should come up asking if you want to power off or restart.

Jill

Sometimes I find removing the battery then re-installing it helps.

Like with most types of computer equipment - pull the plug leave for a couple of minutes then plug in again.

Seems to solve most problems.

Allan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sometimes I find removing the battery then re-installing it helps.

Like with most types of computer equipment - pull the plug leave for a couple of minutes then plug in again.

Seems to solve most problems.

Allan

Kindle Fires have a built-in battery you can't remove.

On 19/09/2021 at 16:56, spacecadet said:

I did not know that not having had a Kindle Fire. ( Hmmm!  kindling = fire. )🤭

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 16:56, spacecadet said:

Actually it's not that difficult if you have the right tools.  The tool shown in the video can be had on ebay as part of a 'phone repair kit'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpffS2jN5Qo

10 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Actually it's not that difficult if you have the right tools.  The tool shown in the video can be had on ebay as part of a 'phone repair kit'.

Watched video of replacement method. The special tool used to open the casing can be replaced with a suitable guitar plectrum. Also double sided sticky tape is freely available in stores. BUT if buying the new battery from the advertiser then you are obviously paying for the kit.

My tool for opening the case would be one of these.

Allan

Sorry Vincent. Just my warped sense of humour.

Edited by Allan Bell

10 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I was thinking of everyday TV remote-control-type changing without having to think about it. I've just changed an I-phone SE battery and you have to think about that quite a bit. The guitar plectra don't last long but forty quid is forty quid. It's a job for steely-eyed missile persons.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I was thinking of everyday TV remote-control-type changing without having to think about it. I've just changed an I-phone SE battery and you have to think about that quite a bit. The guitar plectra don't last long but forty quid is forty quid. It's a job for steely-eyed missile persons.

I changed my wife’s iPhone SE battery a few months back. Prior to replacement it would just show the battery trap and wouldn’t accept any charge. When Apple holds down with their batteries with sticky strips that are meant to be pulled or wound out they often break for me. Then I use a thin springy blade to slide under the battery to free it. Pain in the  a**e. At least it now functions giving her more time to decide what to replace it with.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I changed my wife’s iPhone SE battery a few months back. Prior to replacement it would just show the battery trap and wouldn’t accept any charge. When Apple holds down with their batteries with sticky strips that are meant to be pulled or wound out they often break for me. Then I use a thin springy blade to slide under the battery to free it. Pain in the  a**e. At least it now functions giving her more time to decide what to replace it with.

I'm told it's the last one you have a chance of changing yourself. I chuffed up the positioning so had to hoik (should that be "hoick"?) it out again and use ordinary double sided. So the next change may be fun🤩

Nice to get one back on the road for under a fiver though. Only chance I had of getting one, hand-me-down or not.

Edited by spacecadet

47 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm told it's the last one you have a chance of changing yourself. 

I’ve never commercially worked on phones, but do on Apple computers. MacBook Air’s from 2018 have ‘removable’ batteries, and Apple don’t intend end users to replace these batteries. In the replacement process a very expensive battery press is used, and I believe it’s used on newer phone battery replacements too.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I’ve never commercially worked on phones, but do on Apple computers. MacBook Air’s from 2018 have ‘removable’ batteries, and Apple don’t intend end users to replace these batteries. In the replacement process a very expensive battery press is used, and I believe it’s used on newer phone battery replacements too.

It should be made a Law that ALL batteries are replaceable in ALL products that use them.  That would cut down on a lot of waste and planet contamination.

Just my opinion.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Watched video of replacement method. The special tool used to open the casing can be replaced with a suitable guitar plectrum.

I took my Linx tablet PC apart a while back.  Nothing wrong with the batteries but the sound suddenly became very distorted.  One of the loudspeakers became very hot and actually melted the case.  I suspect it was a capacitor that failed and put a DC voltage on the speaker coil.  The sound is okay through earphones though, so I just disconnected the speakers.

But get to the point I hear you say....  I used one of these kits, which contains a couple of plectrum like tools - https://tinyurl.com/jbmrmybc

Of course, while the back was off I had to photograph it.....

internal-view-of-a-linx-tablet-computer-

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Wrong link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I took my Linx tablet PC apart a while back.  Nothing wrong with the batteries but the sound suddenly became very distorted.  One of the loudspeakers became very hot and actually melted the case.  I suspect it was a capacitor that failed and put a DC voltage on the speaker coil.  The sound is okay through earphones though, so I just disconnected the speakers.

But get to the point I hear you say....  I used one of these kits, which contains a couple of plectrum like tools - https://tinyurl.com/jbmrmybc

Of course, while the back was off I had to photograph it.....

Doesn't look too bad for a battery change.........I bet the challenge with a Kindle would be opening it without making the case look like a bag of spanners afterwards. No screw holes.

Edited by spacecadet

54 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Doesn't look too bad for a battery change.........I bet the challenge with a Kindle would be opening it without making the case look like a bag of spanners afterwards. No screw holes.

There are no screw holes in the Linx tablet - the case just clips together.  Some of the tools in the kit are plastic to avoid damaging the case.

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

It should be made a Law that ALL batteries are replaceable in ALL products that use them.  That would cut down on a lot of waste and planet contamination.

Just my opinion.

Allan

Hear hear! However:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/07/01/british-right-to-repair-law/

wim

9 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Thank you. I had not heard of or seen details of that law. Interesting but wonder why they do not include EVERYTHING.

Allan

First it was the apps on my iPhone 7 that kept shutting down (not holding open). Now my US-bought, 4-year-old MacBook Pro has suddenly shutdown twice — screen going black. I'm typing this on my M1 MacBook Air. Do I own too many pieces of tech? God yes!

I managed to restart the Pro. I've turned it off now and it's resting.

I figure this latest problem is the battery or maybe the fan. What do you think? When this stuff works, it's fantastic. When it doesn't, it's a nightmare. 

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

First it was the apps on my iPhone 7 that kept shutting down (not holding open). Now my US-bought, 4-year-old MacBook Pro has suddenly shutdown twice — screen going black. I'm typing this on my M1 MacBook Air. Do I own too many pieces of tech? God yes!

I managed to restart the Pro. I've turned it off now and it's resting.

I figure this latest problem is the battery or maybe the fan. What do you think? When this stuff works, it's fantastic. When it doesn't, it's a nightmare. 

When the screen went black was it running from its battery and did you check to see if pressing the caps lock key activated it’s LED? If it did try shining a bright light onto its display to see if a feint image is visible. There is an active quality program applicable to both 13” 2016 models for backlight issues. The same sometimes occurs on the 2017 models but isn’t covered by the quality program. Additionally displays can just fail, as can logic boards.

Thanks, Steve. 

But that's all goobli-gook to me.

Right now, I'm trying to sort out the NHS app, which they use the frightening terms "simple" or "easy" on the welcoming page of instructions. I did figure things out and found that I have no appointments for a bonus jab or an annual flu jab and no way to make one. I guess I'll have to do the old-fashioned thing and go into my clinic and ask at the desk.