NFTs again (Non Fungible Tokens)

On 23/09/2021 at 00:03, geogphotos said:

How long before there is the first microstock Crypto site offering exciting opportunities to their community?

All this stuff is beyond me; however, I wouldn't be surprised if a certain huge microstock agency doesn't jump on the crypto bandwagon soon. Intuitively, I can't help feeling that the two models have a lot in common.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2021 at 08:03, geogphotos said:

How long before there is the first microstock Crypto site offering exciting opportunities to their community?

There have been at least two wannabes trying to posit such a scheme.  They were all about crypto and blockchain and knew nothing about the business of selling stock.

Both fell at the basic Stock101 hurdle of, "What evidence is there that buyers would prefer this over agencies which buy and sell on regular currencies"

I was initially negative on NFTs thinking them some sort short term scummy thing. But now I am readdressing my opinion, I think they can become something really interesting for the future, I just dont think the current usage/prices of the NFT potential has been figure out yet. I think it will rule the roost in the future but just how? I am not sure we have reached the point whereby business has fullyfigure out how to make NFTs work (and blockchain) for them. One thing is for sure, the future will not be about the prices we are seeing today, they will normalise as will "gas charges" for minting and selling NFTs.

Edited by Panthera tigris
  • Love 1

Interesting and informative take on NFTs from Jack Lowe, perhaps best known for his wonderful wet-plate collodion Lifeboat Station Project, and addressing the appalling cost on the environment resulting from these blockchain transactions.

This is your NFT wake-up call

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Interesting and informative take on NFTs from Jack Lowe, perhaps best known for his wonderful wet-plate collodion Lifeboat Station Project, and addressing the appalling cost on the environment resulting from these blockchain transactions.

This is your NFT wake-up call

This.....

Phil

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

'1854', parent company and publishers of the BJP (British Journal of Photography) partners with OpenSea:

https://art3.io/about/

Sigh.

Yep...And the irony of actually announcing a "Drop" of images about the climate crisis :angry:

I thought the BJP were loosing their way a few years ago... this now confirms it.

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

I thought the BJP were loosing their way a few years ago... this now confirms it.

I used to take the weekly version, always felt like they were serving all the different sectors of the professional photographic community. Took the monthly for about a year or so, then just gave up on it.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

Marc Hartog, CEO of 1854 Media (BJP & art3) responds to Jack Lowe, and Jack Lowe responds to him. In my opinion Mr. Hartog just digs a deeper hole, Jack Lowe's response sums it up for me. Other opinions are available.

https://jacklowe.com/2021/10/28/response-from-art3-on-nft/

• Thanks 1

Unless there's end to end encyption of the image from camera (to establish original owner and prevent copying) to end display device or software (which allows only those who have purchased a decryption key to view the image and which in someway prevents digital screenshots) I really don't undertand this at all because the image can simply be digitally copied to give a perfect reproduction... It feels like a mixture of smoke, mirrors and hype.

Mark

43 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I really don't undertand this at all because the image can simply be digitally copied to give a perfect reproduction

I don't think that this necessarily concerns them, it's the ownership of the single unique digital asset as bestowed by its blockchain key that is the essence of it, smoke & mirrors certainly, hype - beyond doubt. They may not even need to be the original creator of the image, I noticed another stock library that I chanced across has this in their terms & conditions for buyers, a sign of the times:

"you may not use any items of content in connection with an immutable digital asset intended for sale (such as a non-fungible token)"

Edited by Harry Harrison

If you look at how Beeple (the 69 million dollar NFT man) handles them. you get the NFT but you also get a whole package of physical items with it as well, thereby giving you something tangible as well, a numbered edition. My bet is this is how NFTs of art and photography will develop, there will be an associated physical asset and in some case even rights or ultimately copyright. He is now marketing his NFTs as collections you but before they exist, very interesting and one of the ways the NFT market will develop in my opinion.

Damien Hirst has used them in a novel way as well with his "the currency" project whereby the NFT can be cashed in for a physical piece of art.

Personally I think NFTs may be here to stay, some clever people have just have not figured out how to use them at scale yet.

https://beeple-collect.com

Edited by Panthera tigris

• 2 weeks later...

More on NFTs in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/nov/06/how-nfts-non-fungible-tokens-are-shaking-up-the-art-world

"I went from having to borrow money to making $4m in a day’: how NFTs are shaking up the art world"

Actually just seen a photographer's work that I quite liked the look of, they have a new book out. There is no website, just links to NFT trading sites, and, seemingly, very high $$$$ sale prices.

37 minutes ago, Sally said:

Edinburgh based and Alamy contributor Rich Dyson has written a blog here

https://edinburghphotographyworkshop.com/nft-photography/

Interesting read. Thank you.

Allan

On 17/11/2021 at 10:40, Phil Crean said:

Another interesting explanation of NFTs

https://youtu.be/NcfdFyssha8

Yes it is interesting, they cover a lot of ground though I'm limiting how much I read about NFTs as it seems to adversely affect my well-being. I particularly like the idea that museums are selling NFTs of their artworks to raise funds, what is there to lose from their point of view, they actually still have the artworks? You couldn't make it up really.

It's a little harder to see what the buyer gets but as with all NFTs I suppose it's just down to crude speculation, playing the market, and that seems to be potentially pretty lucrative. I'm more of a David Hockney fan than Damien Hirst but I know I'm going to get depressed when I start to see artists that I respect jumping onto this particular bandwagon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes it is interesting, they cover a lot of ground though I'm limiting how much I read about NFTs as it seems to adversely affect my well-being. I particularly like the idea that museums are selling NFTs of their artworks to raise funds, what is there to lose from their point of view, they actually still have the artworks? You couldn't make it up really.

It's a little harder to see what the buyer gets but as with all NFTs I suppose it's just down to crude speculation, playing the market, and that seems to be potentially pretty lucrative. I'm more of a David Hockney fan than Damien Hirst but I know I'm going to get depressed when I start to see artists that I respect jumping onto this particular bandwagon.

It does seem like money for nothing... Sell the NFT at a massive mark up on the cost to create it and the actual artwork is still available!

Phil