Making money with Microstock

1 hour ago, Gnans said:

Wondering if the pictures of the house are sold to the publication for $0.10

big difference between how much clients pay, and how much photographer receives.  How do you think he paid the house in first place? 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bland, cold, charmless. Like some sort of corporate luxury rental place.

I think a home should reveal something about the character(s) who live in it; books, music, ornaments, pictures, furnishings, styling etc. can all say something about who the people are, what they are like etc.

That place owned by the Spluttershock bloke has no personality stamped on it at all. But he won't care, he's made $$$$$$$$$$$$and more, whereas i just make a $ or two !

• Love 1

This is not the house the seller once lived in. The house has been staged, before photography, in order to appeal to the widest possible group of buyers. Staging and depersonalizing makes it easier for potential buyers to envision the house as their own.

Decorating is about personal style. Home staging is not decorating. Depersonalizing is part of staging. So new furniture, new appliances, remove the kid's toys and family photographs, declutter, favourite armchair held together with duct tape removed, camera collection removed, not too many books.

It is a $52 million deal, so extensive depersonalizing is worthwhile.

• Like 1

Yah, but the guy either had money to start or got quite rich being an agent for photographers, which is basically what a stock company is.  The work is more complicated than being a literary agent, but micro stock depends on deciding that "creatives" will work for love (something I believe Bill Gates also believed). 

I don't mind third shares in publishing since a lot of what agents and publishers do is work I'd hate doing myself.  The idea of getting lots and lots of small sum sales (and in some cases not getting a payout for years) while the boss makes enough to have a $52 million dollar house, not so much.

One has to be rich to afford staging like that.  

Staging even a small house can set the seller back several thousand dollars, so it must have indeed cost a fortune to stage a house this size. Given how unpopular SS has made itself with its contributors lately, it's no surprise that he wants to move. 🏃‍♂️

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

What is "staging", please?

I'm not that familiar with staging; however, I know someone who had it done for about $5000 I believe. Apparently, the real estate agency that you're dealing with comes in and makes your house look as "perfect" and impersonal as possible -- i.e. they hide all the moth-eaten furniture, etc. and replace it temporarily with all the latest stuff. I guess it can pay off in the long run, but I would probably never bother myself.  More info here.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm not that familiar with staging; however, I know someone who had it done for about $5000 I believe. Apparently, the real estate agency that you're dealing with comes in and makes your house look as "perfect" and impersonal as possible -- i.e. they hide all the moth-eaten furniture, etc. and replace it temporarily with all the latest stuff. I guess it can pay off in the long run, but I would probably never bother myself.  More info here.

That's about it. Also set it up for potential usage.  When i sold my small one bedroom bungalow, the Agent (who was paying for staging) set up basement as a "potential guest visitor bedroom".  Also heard some using it as opportunity to display artist art on wall, as a way to give it exposure.  

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What is "staging", please?

Making a place pretty for the photos 😁

I do it when photographing holiday rental properties, can be as simple as putting in some flowers, fruit bowl, wine bottles etc.

Multi millionaires obviously take it to another level🤪

Phil