DACS - Part I Claim - web use

A response from DACS (redacted! 😉) :

"You can claim for URLs separately from books and magazines within the Part 1 claim.

So yes, you can claim for your images in the physical copy of the magazine, and then also for the magazine website if the images also appear online.

If you had 1 image published in 12 separate issues of xxxMagazine, you would claim for the physical magazine as above. If those images were also published on this website, then you would claim for these as well.

The list you provide here is matched with the Copyright Licensing Agency’s database of title usage – if a publication or URL you have listed is on their list, a royalty amount gets awarded to you."

So that suggests that you claim for online usages if they have also appeared in a magazine (or book, OFC - though far less likely). I'm guessing that additional online usage will add a tiny %age to magazine licences?

Edited by losdemas

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm getting an invalid security certificate for that.

Oh, blimey! Sorry - cheap hosting, eh? Yes, it happens from time to time, very annoying. I'll try to remember to get onto the hosting company today. For now, just change https to http. That should work.

14 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Oh, blimey! Sorry - cheap hosting, eh? Yes, it happens from time to time, very annoying. I'll try to remember to get onto the hosting company today. For now, just change https to http. That should work.

It was just a heads-up, I know it's you so I clicked through anyway;)

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shearwater said:

Maybe could be of some help check-in CLA permissions here: https://www.cla.co.uk/check-permissions/search-publications?query=

You can search as usually by ISBN, ISSN, Title...but URL's too. Best to use only the root website, for example: "bbc.com"

Thanks for that. Just found out that virtually all the websites I added this morning are ineligible! Looks like all the BBC uses are also no good. 

Time to wave the white flag I feel and just hope that what I have found is worthwhile. Also found that some of the ISBN's accepted on the DACS form show up as different than on the CLA form. Just impossible for a stock photographer to keep tabs on all of this given the limited information we have.

Edited by geogphotos

On 22/01/2021 at 15:16, geogphotos said:

Any suggestions about which non-newspaper Alamy customers use our images on web sites? I'm assuming they need to be UK.

The online news/arts/culture/politics magazine Vice have been using Alamy for sourcing images.

https://www.vice.com/en/topic/vice-magazine

Doing my DACS claim now, and so re-reading this topic about entering the websites...

By the way, my own photography website has images of mine on. Shall I add that ?!

17 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

The online news/arts/culture/politics magazine Vice have been using Alamy for sourcing images.

https://www.vice.com/en/topic/vice-magazine

Doing my DACS claim now, and so re-reading this topic about entering the websites...

By the way, my own photography website has images of mine on. Shall I add that ?!

Click on the link above to the CLA site and you will see that Alamy is listed, but digital use of it is not covered by the CLA licence.

So you can enter Alamy on your DACS form along with any other website but if the CLA don't include it you won't get any money.

www.vice.com is the same - not eligible for CLA

EDIT - PLEASE SEE RECENT INFO FROM DACS WHICH UPDATES OUR DISCUSSIONS - POSTED BELOW

Edited by geogphotos

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your email.

You’ll be able to claim for the BBC website on Part 1 of your claim.

The whole Payback scheme is only open to UK published titles, and UK websites (websites of UK based companies). The URLs you can claim for don’t have to be linked to a publication, so websites of institutions, businesses charities etc are all eligible.

Best Regards,

• Love 1

On 23/01/2021 at 14:48, losdemas said:

The list you provide here is matched with the Copyright Licensing Agency’s database of title usage – if a publication or URL you have listed is on their list, a royalty amount gets awarded to you."

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Hello Ian,

The whole Payback scheme is only open to UK published titles, and UK websites (websites of UK based companies). The URLs you can claim for don’t have to be linked to a publication, so websites of institutions, businesses charities etc are all eligible.

Best Regards,

These two comments from DACS conflict, don't they? The BBC is not on the CLA list, yet now DACS say that you can claim for it!

Going to give up now and just add all UK-based company websites, then let DACS decide which are eligible when they look at the claim.

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

These two comments from DACS conflict, don't they? The BBC is not on the CLA list, yet now DACS say that you can claim for it!

Going to give up now and just add all UK-based company websites, then let DACS decide which are eligible when they look at the claim.

Yes they do conflict and a further email from DACS suggests that they are not sure of the accuracy of the CLA database especially in respect to web sites. 

I agree that it is only going to be worth adding UK websites. But then that leaves the problem of how to find them!  How are you getting on with that?

On 22/01/2021 at 14:37, Allan Bell said:

Tried the above altered for "allanbellimages alamy" site:www.thetimes.co.uk/   where I know an image of mine was used on 9th October 2020 but did not find it. Google kept separating "allanbellimages" into three separate words too.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I tried what you did for The Times, and it didn't work for me either, but then I repeated it leaving a space before www, and I got a whole list of "Have you found..." entries from the Alamy thread which are quite useful.

In fact, just to add to this, putting in this for me into Google not only gave me a load of shortcuts to previous uses of my images in the Have You found thread, but then also loads of previous web uses of my images which is just what DACS seems to want in Pt 1.

"kumar sriskandan alamy" site: www.thetimes.co.uk/

I am now going to try it substituting for telegraph, ft etc. !

Kumar

Edited by Doc

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Yes they do conflict and a further email from DACS suggests that they are not sure of the accuracy of the CLA database especially in respect to web sites. 

I agree that it is only going to be worth adding UK websites. But then that leaves the problem of how to find them!  How are you getting on with that?

Could be better! 🤣

TBH, all my efforts in findng ISSNs/ISBNs for Part 1 last year netted me a huge £2.25! 🤨 Part 2 was much more lucrative, so I can't see me spending much more time on Pt 1. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out this year.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Hi Allan,

I tried what you did for The Times, and it didn't work for me either, but then I repeated it leaving a space before www, and I got a whole list of "Have you found..." entries from the Alamy thread which are quite useful.

In fact, just to add to this, putting in this for me into Google not only gave me a load of shortcuts to previous uses of my images in the Have You found thread, but then also loads of previous web uses of my images which is just what DACS seems to want in Pt 1.

Kumar

Kumar, you are getting search results for Alamy threads when adding the space precisely because that search isn't recognised by Google. There should be no spaces.

From Refine web searches by Google:

• Don’t put spaces between the symbol or word and your search term. A search for site:nytimes.com will work, but site: nytimes.com won’t.

EDIT: One more thing! The disclaimer they add at the end of the page: 

"Important: Not all search operators return exhaustive results." 🤣

Edited by losdemas
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Hi Allan,

Kumar

Thanks for the information Kumar. Tried your method and again nothing turned up except for a few images from the Alamy website. I tried again without "alamy" in the line and still nothing.

Allan

On 25/01/2021 at 10:24, geogphotos said:

Hello Ian,

Best Regards,

On 25/01/2021 at 18:05, Doc said:

I'm confused now. I understand that we can now add URLs to our Part 1 DACS claim showing UK website uses, but I'd assumed that we shouldn't include websites of UK Newspapers?

Mark:unsure:

28 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I'm confused now. I understand that we can now add URLs to our Part 1 DACS claim showing UK website uses, but I'd assumed that we shouldn't include websites of UK Newspapers?

Mark:unsure:

I think that everyone's confused, Mark - including DACS!

I don't know how they are going to vet all the URLs they're going to get.  I've put in a couple of dozen now and the system accepts anything, even online UK newspapers.  I suspect I've added some that will not qualify, but it would be nice to find out I'm on the wrong path with feedback as we enter stuff.

3 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I don't know how they are going to vet all the URLs they're going to get.  I've put in a couple of dozen now and the system accepts anything, even online UK newspapers.  I suspect I've added some that will not qualify, but it would be nice to find out I'm on the wrong path with feedback as we enter stuff.

Yes the system lets you enter just about anything - not had a single URL turned down. But to attract any payment the entries will need to be matched with eligible uses that have actually been recorded as uses by licence holders. 

I don't remember any mention of this URL development for 2020 so not at all sure where it has come from or the reasoning behind it. Nobody pays to view these websites, they are not covered by any licence, you don't need a licence to access them or use them so why are the CLA involved?

Surely it is all a bit peripheral to the main business of DACS and maybe the best policy is for us not to devote too much time and effort to finding URLs.

On 23/01/2021 at 14:33, losdemas said:

I've published a basic list of non-news UK users here. Click on 'search' for each title, then substitute 'alamy' your own search term.

No hits from the list for me. Which is strange because I know there are usages on some of those sites. However, this Google Search string is quite useful for me.

("Pseudonym1" OR "Pseudonym2") -site:www.alamy.com -site:alamyimages.es -site:fineartamerica.com -site:Pixels.com

But I did choose Pseudonyms that don't exist as words online before I started using them. The quotation marks are important to force a more accurate results. I also had to exclude my pictures on POD sites.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

• 4 weeks later...

HELP!!!!

Is The Guardian's site https://www.theguardian.com/uk ?

When I put in www.theguardian.co.uk it switches to the above, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm in the US

What about the hundreds of re-pins on my images on pinterest.co.uk  by others - it would seem like this is far afield. Is there a way to check whether pinterest and the various UK newspaper websites count this year? It's very confusing. Is there an approved list of UK sites? Do you run them through the CLA list? So confused. Usually DACS seems easy. 

Thanks!

@M.Chapman thanks for your list and @geogphotos for all your efforts!

Edited by Marianne

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

HELP!!!!

Is The Guardian's site https://www.theguardian.com/uk ?

When I put in www.theguardian.co.uk it switches to the above, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm in the US

What about the hundreds of re-pins on my images on pinterest.co.uk  by others - it would seem like this is far afield. Is there a way to check whether pinterest and the various UK newspaper websites count this year? It's very confusing. Is there an approved list of UK sites? Do you run them through the CLA list? So confused. Usually DACS seems easy. 

Thanks!

@M.Chapman thanks for your list and @geogphotos for all your efforts!

The system allows you to enter these and any other website but from what I understand newspaper sites will not count towards the share of the money. I've also had lots of Pinterest 'hits' but have not tried to include them, personal blogs I have tended to include. The CLA list does not correspond exactly to what is accepted on the DACS system so not worth using. Just as with newspapers you can enter all sorts of publications into the system and it will match them but that doesn't necessarily mean they will count.

I agree that the introduction of web uses for DACS is confused/confusing - does it mean UK ones only or everything? 

DACS are very good at replying so best bet its to send them an email with your specific questions - though could be that they are busy at the moment.

Probably best to adopt a policy of including all that you can even if it means some wasted effort.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1