DACS - Part I Claim - web use

This from DACS today:

"You can claim for UK web use on Part 1 of your claim only. You will need to know the URL of the website in order to add it to your Part 1 Publication History list."

I have asked for clarification if this means a stand-alone UK website not linked to a book/magazine, also whether newspaper websites are to be included.

I have over 70,000 images on Alamy, each of them has a website - so puzzled about what DACS means here.

Part 1 opens next Monday. For books and mags the system needs to find matches, is this the same for websites?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

From DACS site: 

In Part 1 you need to provide us with the ISBNs (international standard book number), ISSNs (international standard serial number) or website URLs for each of the publications your work has been featured in.

You are paid when the data you provide matches the lists of titles held by the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA).

We encourage everyone to complete Part 1 as an increasing share of Payback royalties come from the matched data from the CLA. By completing Part 1, you’re maximising your chances of receiving more royalties.

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

or website URLs for each of the publications your work has been featured in.

So this seems to be confirmation that they are offering an option for those who are unable to provide ISBNs/ISSNs, but do have links to online content which can help establish how/where/by whom the images have been used in books/magazines. Not for the actual web use itself.

Edited by losdemas

33 minutes ago, losdemas said:

So this seems to be confirmation that they are offering an option for those who are unable to provide ISBNs/ISSNs, but do have links to online content which can help establish how/where/by whom the images have been used in books/magazines. Not for the actual web use itself.

Well, probably, but I'm still confused.:blink:

I'm sure geog will share DACS' reply.

Must leave off the emojis:lol:but not yet, apparently.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Well, probably, but I'm still confused.:blink:

I'm sure geog will share DACS' reply.

Must leave off the emojis:lol:but not yet, apparently.

: )

I agree that it could be clearer.

Maybe change to GIFs? 🤣

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

I had a similar problem and DACs advided that they would take a URL web link to a magazine/book if the ISBN/ISSN wasn't able to be found.

Yes I expect that is what this is. I had a magazine web use and couldn't find the bar code of the particular issue. So I used the generic ISSN number for that magazine. 

We will see on Monday but I do wonder how they will convert an URL to a matched use of a book or magazine. Do they have some form of automated system for allowable web uses linked to books and mags published in UK???

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm pretty sure that the ISSN stays the same across issues. When you type them into the DACS validator it works anyway.

Yes indeed, so not sure why a web URL would be any more helpful. 

Did we get a proper answer to this? The wording on the entry form and this offical DACS video (at 2 minutes) appears to indicate that UK website uses are something separate that can be claimed for. But elswhere it says only books and magazines. :wacko:

https://youtu.be/zW2O5baQ2X8

Mark

DACs.png

Edited by M.Chapman

19 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Did we get a proper answer to this? The wording on the entry form and this offical DACS video (at 2 minutes) appears to indicate that UK website uses are something separate that can be claimed for. But elswhere it says only books and magazines. :wacko:

Mark

DACs.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160323-the-terrifying-tsunami-that-devastated-britain

I've just entered this web use and it has been added to my list.

So, part from newspapers, it does seem that UK web uses are accepted and counted. Don't know how they find matches. 

47 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

DACs.png

23 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160323-the-terrifying-tsunami-that-devastated-britain

I've just entered this web use and it has been added to my list.

So, part from newspapers, it does seem that UK web uses are accepted and counted. Don't know how they find matches. 

I'm waiting for a second reply from DACS to clarify this. Wasn't super-clear the first time. I'll update you with what they say in their email - hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have entered a few more but am really hoping that we will get a clarification. I have loads of BBC uses but once the BBC is entered you can't then post any other BBC URLs - you have to give a total for how many BBC web uses you have ( as an example). But how can this be matched with users if the individual images and pages aren't recorded? 

The system allowed me to enter newspaper web uses though those aren't supposed to be included. So, it seems it will allow any and every web site, except ones where you already have a book  or magazine use - so are you then supposed to combine web uses with magazine uses??

I'm looking forward to hearing what losdemas hears from them and thank you for doing this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I have entered a few more but am really hoping that we will get a clarification. I have loads of BBC uses but once the BBC is entered you can't then post any other BBC URLs - you have to give a total for how many BBC web uses you have ( as an example). But how can this be matched with users if the individual images and pages aren't recorded? 

The system allowed me to enter newspaper web uses though those aren't supposed to be included. So, it seems it will allow any and every web site, except ones where you already have a book  or magazine use - so are you then supposed to combine web uses with magazine uses??

I'm looking forward to hearing what losdemas hears from them and thank you for doing this.

Hoping that they'll reply today. In my previous entries I am unable to enter any info in the URL field, so I'm guessing that I'll have to create a totally separate entry for URLs? I've asked.

They did confirm that when URLs are entered, they have to be in a similar fashion to ISSNs (i.e. one ISSN == one magazine regardless of issue number/date) - so however many uses you have on any website, you only enter the top level of the URL. So, in your case, you would NOT enter http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160323-the-terrifying-tsunami-that-devastated-britain, and all the other specific web addresses, but instead enter http://www.bbc.co.uk, then enter the number of images the BBC have used in that domain.

Bizarre, I know. How is that of any use to them in verifying usages? Looks more like an honesty box. Gets weirder by the minute.

Thanks for the update. I've also seen an email sent by DACs confirming that it is just the domain name and the number of uses that is needed. 

No idea about how best to search for these uses or how DACS can match them with uses. I gather that the site has to appear on the CLA usage list to attract a payment.

As you say the URL I entered was simply simplified to the generic BBC one. 

How can  I search for all BBC web uses for 'geogphotos Alamy' ?

Edited by geogphotos

47 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the update. I've also seen an email sent by DACs confirming that it is just the domain name and the number of uses that is needed. 

No idea about how best to search for these uses or how DACS can match them with uses. I gather that the site has to appear on the CLA usage list to attract a payment.

As you say the URL I entered was simply simplified to the generic BBC one. 

How can  I search for all BBC web uses for 'geogphotos Alamy' ?

Type this into Google: "geogphotos alamy" site:www.bbc.co.uk/

(exactly as shown including quotes)

6 pages & 20 image results (not 100% reliable)

Edited by losdemas
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, very useful.

What I am doing first is to use the sales spreadsheets I have. Remove all the Personal Use, obvious print use only etc

Identify one known use by image ref ( ie the BBC one above), then order the spreadsheet to pick up all others with the same/similar licence wordage - only slight changes over the years. Using my sales sheets from somewhere else I have found 410 BBC uses - so that is some sort of compensation for the pathetic penny fees. 😁 

Then repeat with other known uses on major sites.

So then I will Cut and Copy that out of the spreadsheet to another one and Save ( maybe upload to DACS as supporting doc)  and narrow down the rest on the original spreadsheet to identify the next largest batch. Repeat.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, losdemas said:

Type this into Google: "geogphotos alamy" site:www.bbc.co.uk/

(exactly as shown including quotes)

6 pages & 20 image results (not 100% reliable)

Tried the above altered for "allanbellimages alamy" site:www.thetimes.co.uk/   where I know an image of mine was used on 9th October 2020 but did not find it. Google kept separating "allanbellimages" into three separate words too.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

21 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Tried the above altered for "allanbellimages alamy" site:www.thetimes.co.uk/   where I know an image of mine was used on 9th October 2020 but did not find it. Google kept separating "allanbellimages" into three separate words too.

Allan

Unless the publisher credits by name it doesn't work. Many don't.

You get the option in Google to choose the exact string you typed in, but in any case, I got no results at all for that string.

Apart from the BBC (and UK newspapers  which you can't claim for) I haven't found any web sites to claim a significant number of images for. 

Any suggestions about which non-newspaper Alamy customers use our images on web sites? I'm assuming they need to be UK.

Edited by geogphotos

23 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

On 22/01/2021 at 08:55, losdemas said:

(not 100% reliable)

Google does its own thing! 😂

I have had many results that appear in Google one day, only to disappear the next. 🙃 Especially within paywalled sites. Had a couple in Murdoch Aussie titles (paywalled) from 2018, which I found purely by chance on Google and reported to Alamy as unreported and unpaid - finally settled this year. Would never have known had I not been randomly searching on the right day. Not to be found on Google anymore. Could be a whole host of reasons including the current fracas.

Your example could be owing to the same, seemingly random changes that Google makes from time to time, or perhaps they didn't credit 'allanbellimages', only 'Alamy'?

Anyhow, multiple search engines help, although you'll have to research and modify the search terms and structure. For reverse image search, I use Search by Image which is available as an add on for various browsers (I generally use the Firefox add-on). It's also very useful when searching for images to report in the 'Have you found' threads, as you can use it to search for images not just on Google & multiple other search engines, but on the Alamy site, too! Again, not perfect, but it generally works very well.

23 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Unless the publisher credits by name it doesn't work. Many don't.

You get the option in Google to choose the exact string you typed in, but in any case, I got no results at all for that string.

Very true and - unless its my furtive imagination - they seem to be crediting less & less. Or have I just been locked down so long that my paranoia is creeping up into the red zone?! 😂

No, I got no results either, using various options.

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Apart from the BBC (and UK newspapers  which you can't claim for) I haven't found any web sites to claim a significant number of images for. 

Any suggestions about which non-newspaper Alamy customers use our images on web sites? I'm assuming they need to be UK.

I've published a basic list of non-news UK users here. Click on 'search' for each title, then substitute 'alamy' your own search term.