Delete account

laura Scalzo

Question

13 minutes ago, laura Scalzo said:

Thanks George. Can you tell me why if I have done all of the recommendations with tags etc. to be discoverable, I am still un-discoverable? I am new to this and want to make it work but it is frustrating.

Hi Laura,

Your 8 images are discoverable and on sale. I assume you're asking why your image discoverability is not the green 'optimised'? Don't worry about it. This thread will help:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13264-discoverability/#comment-255576

On 11/09/2020 at 20:08, laura Scalzo said:

Can someone tell me how to delete my account. Not at all what I expected. Thanks

What were you expecting?

Steve

Laura, there's lots of threads on keywording on the forum. Alamy has 215 million images on sale so you need to be spot on with your keywording if you want anyone to find your images. You could put USA, North America, United States as keywords.  Also you seem to have forgotten to put spaces between words sometimes:

'healthandwellness'

'naturalremedy'

These terms will almost certainly not be searched for.

Just now, Steve F said:

Laura, there's lots of threads on keywording on the forum. Alamy has 215 million images on sale so you need to be spot on with your keywording if you want anyone to find your images. You could put USA, North America, United States as keywords.  Also you seem to have forgotten to put spaces between words sometimes:

'healthandwellness'

'naturalremedy'

These terms will almost certainly not be searched for.

Ok thank you so much! I will fix it. Really appreciate your help!

You need 500-1000 images before you will get regular sales.

This isn't microstock so you won't necessarily get sales everyday - especially with only 8 out of 216,000,000 images on sale. 

Upload well keyworded images and give it time.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

You need 500-1000 images before you will get regular sales.

This isn't microstock so you won't necessarily get sales everyday - especially with only 8 out of 216,000,000 images on sale. 

Upload well keyworded images and give it time.

John.

Thanks John,

I am new to all of this and want to make it work. Need to read up on it more so I have a better understanding.

Hi Laura,

Don't just take random snapshots of things, try and consider what might sell. Have a look in books and magazines, newspapers and online articles for stock photos for inspiration; once you start looking, you'll see them everywhere. Lots of subjects have been photographed many times. See if you can photograph something differently to bring a different perspective. Look for niche subjects that aren't well covered - few and far between, but there are some.

Try and start off making captions and keywording are as good as possible so you don't have to go back in the future and re-edit hundreds or thousands of pictures. 

Finally, have fun!

Steve

p.s. everyone hates keywording 🙃

55 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Laura,

Don't just take random snapshots of things, try and consider what might sell. Have a look in books and magazines, newspapers and online articles for stock photos for inspiration; once you start looking, you'll see them everywhere. Lots of subjects have been photographed many times. See if you can photograph something differently to bring a different perspective. Look for niche subjects that aren't well covered - few and far between, but there are some.

Try and start off making captions and keywording are as good as possible so you don't have to go back in the future and re-edit hundreds or thousands of pictures. 

Finally, have fun!

Steve

p.s. everyone hates keywording 🙃

Yes keywording... blah. Thanks for the suggestions. Truly appreciate it!

1 hour ago, laura Scalzo said:

Yes keywording... blah. Thanks for the suggestions. Truly appreciate it!

I use Lightroom so it's done in batch before I export. Still the last thing I do though and the thing I find a PITA.

Lovely photography though. Your image 2CEE0F5 is particularly nice, I rather like the swirly bokeh effect. I get that from my old Minolta 50mm f/1.7 - out of interest what lens was used in this shot?

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

I use Lightroom so it's done in batch before I export. Still the last thing I do though and the thing I find a PITA.

Lovely photography though. Your image 2CEE0F5 is particularly nice, I rather like the swirly bokeh effect. I get that from my old Minolta 50mm f/1.7 - out of interest what lens was used in this shot?

Thanks! I love this one too. I used my Canon 100 macro shot wide open at 2.8. Prime is the best for me.

I don't use LR. Maybe I need to reevaluate this.

49 minutes ago, laura Scalzo said:

I don't use LR. Maybe I need to reevaluate this.

Some people get away with submitting JPEGs directly from the camera, but you're much more likely to fail QC if you do that (e.g. dustspots in the sky - see link below). The majority of Contributors here will edit the raw files in an editing programme like Lightroom and then export as a JPEG for upload. 

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

(there's a PDF link within this text that also highlights common reasons for failure)

3 hours ago, Cal said:

I'd get a swirly bokeh effect too, if I was surrounded by that much weed . . .

Alex

5 hours ago, Steve F said:

Some people get away with submitting JPEGs directly from the camera, but you're much more likely to fail QC if you do that (e.g. dustspots in the sky - see link below). The majority of Contributors here will edit the raw files in an editing programme like Lightroom and then export as a JPEG for upload. 

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

(there's a PDF link within this text that also highlights common reasons for failure)

I would never do that. The guy above said he batches all tagging in LR then exports. I use Bridge and PS, always shoot raw and process each image individually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laura Scalzo said:

I would never do that. The guy above said he batches all tagging in LR then exports. I use Bridge and PS, always shoot raw and process each image individually.

Hey, that's great! Your photos look very good btw. There's a number of contributors that edit directly in PS too. I believe it's easier to do minor edits in LR (if you've used it before - I do find it quite intuitive). I only step into PS occasionally for deleting complicated elements. Depends how long you like to edit your photos for, or if you're trying to do something fancy.

#preparedfordelugePSisbest comments :)

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hey, that's great! Your photos look very good btw. There's a number of contributors that edit directly in PS too. I believe it's easier to do minor edits in LR (if you've used it before - I do find it quite intuitive). I only step into PS occasionally for deleting complicated elements. Depends how long you like to edit your photos for, or if you're trying to do something fancy.

#preparedfordelugePSisbest comments :)

There is an alternative viewpoint Steve. it is not that Photoshop is better than Lightroom, it's that they complement each other. There are things that are easier or faster to do in PS than in Lightroom such as spotting, creating and saving accurate selections or make very detailed local adjustments. I try to do as much as possible on the raw file in Lightroom and if I think it needs refinement then I take it into Photoshop. It csn depend on how quickly I need to get things done and how many images I have to process. At the moment that is not usually very quickly.

Although she doesn't explicitly mention it, Laura must be using Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to convert her raw images as Bridge is not a raw converter but a file browser for managing images, analogous to the Lightroom catalog, whereas ACR is analogous to the Develop module in LR. In fact it is more than analogous as it is now almost identical with the recent updates and the conversion engine has always been the same between the two programs. This is where having used both Bridge/ACR/PS and LR/PS, I would definitely vote for LR/PS as it is much, much faster and more efficient for managing images than BR/ACR/PS. Or if not a PS fan, then just LR rather than Bridge/ACR.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2020 at 15:48, laura Scalzo said:

I did my images for years in ACR, Bridge and PS. And did just fine. A few years ago I went with the CC program and began using LR. That said, after making adjustments, I always bring the image into PS for final adjustments.  It’s like an old shoe...comfortable. But I think the upright tool to fix keystoning and such in LR is brilliant. I prefer to fix noise there, too. But if LR suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth, I’d be just fine with what is left. 
I’m assuming you know you can click on the blue numbers under all of our avatars. You can snoop around in our portfolios and see what we shoot.  A lot of it is very common, unimportant things, but those things generally will be looked for by someone. Maybe.

Give it your best and be accepting of the worst.
Even though I try to take marketable images, truth is only a small percent of what I have uploaded have been zoomed, let alone sold. It used to be said we could expect one sale per 1000 images in our ports a month. 5000 images in your portfolio? Expect somewhere in the vicinity of 5 sales a month.

That doesn’t seem to hold true these days because Alamy image count as a whole has increased greatly. Competition is stiffer as a result.

I just keep peddling on. In spite of the number of images I have, I’ve not had one sale yet this month. Next month I may have 4-6 sales. Nobody understand these dry stretches, but most of us get them. That’s stock. Fickle! 😁

I like it because there is a community here, I enjoy taking pictures, it’s fun, it gives me purpose, and I enjoy the little extra money it brings.

Don't expect to get rich, hon. Won’t happen. I didn’t sell anything until about 500 images uploaded, then it was a couple of months before the 2nd sale. And that was with 60 million images in Alamy, not this bloated library that’s here now.
So chill, and keep on truckin’.

Betty

• Love 1

On 16/09/2020 at 02:30, MDM said:

There is an alternative viewpoint Steve. it is not that Photoshop is better than Lightroom, it's that they complement each other.

👍

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I did my images for years in ACR, Bridge and PS. And did just fine. A few years ago I went with the CC program and began using LR. That said, after making adjustments, I always bring the image into PS for final adjustments.

Hi Betty,

As someone that rarely uses Photoshop, I'm curious what adjustments you make at the end of editing? Good luck making sales this month!

Steve

18 hours ago, Steve F said:

👍

Hi Betty,

As someone that rarely uses Photoshop, I'm curious what adjustments you make at the end of editing? Good luck making sales this month!

Steve

Steve, there are things I could probably do in LR that involves the adjustment brush and other things I can’t seem to get on with. So say I have an image with a sky I want a bit darker/bluer. I create an lightness/darkness layer. Lower the exposure until the sky is perfect. Then use a brush to remove that “darkness” from the foreground. There are other things I do in layers, also. Not often. 
The main thing is I prefer doing tweaks in curves in PS. I also crop there, dust spot there, and reduce size if I need to sharpen it up.

i save as an 8 bit Tiff back in the desktop folder. I keyword in Bridge, save the jpeg to an upload folder and another next to the Raw, then delete the tiff.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Steve, there are things I could probably do in LR that involves the adjustment brush and other things I can’t seem to get on with. So say I have an image with a sky I want a bit darker/bluer. I create an lightness/darkness layer. Lower the exposure until the sky is perfect. Then use a brush to remove that “darkness” from the foreground. There are other things I do in layers, also. Not often. 
The main thing is I prefer doing tweaks in curves in PS. I also crop there, dust spot there, and reduce size if I need to sharpen it up.

i save as an 8 bit Tiff back in the desktop folder. I keyword in Bridge, save the jpeg to an upload folder and another next to the Raw, then delete the tiff.

I used to just drag down a grad filter or burn in with adjustment brush, but I found something better- if there's not much blue in the rest of the image, either reduce the blue luminance or increase blue saturation in the HSL panel.

• Love 1
  • Like 1