Delete account

laura Scalzo

Question

On 19/09/2020 at 00:48, Betty LaRue said:

Steve, there are things I could probably do in LR that involves the adjustment brush and other things I can’t seem to get on with. So say I have an image with a sky I want a bit darker/bluer. I create an lightness/darkness layer. Lower the exposure until the sky is perfect. Then use a brush to remove that “darkness” from the foreground. There are other things I do in layers, also. Not often. 
The main thing is I prefer doing tweaks in curves in PS. I also crop there, dust spot there, and reduce size if I need to sharpen it up.

i save as an 8 bit Tiff back in the desktop folder. I keyword in Bridge, save the jpeg to an upload folder and another next to the Raw, then delete the tiff.

I guess if you're used to that process and it works for you then that is all good, but that sounds like a faff to me! Those adjustments can be made almost instantaneously in LR as per space cadet's reply. I find even doing spot adjustments to remove particularly stubborn highlights or blackened shadows to be preferable in LR too, and you can keyword right there in the library. Not only that, but the "heal" tool in LR is unbelievably good at removing dust or small areas of image you don't want and making it look totally natural. It beats clone hands down except in a small set of specific situations I've encountered.

That said, if I have an image that needs some particularly hard editing I do use PS to do the heavy lifting. An example of this is an image in my port which was covered in power lines. I made the decision that without them it would turn out to be a really nice image and between LR and PS I embarked on several hours of fine editing to remove them all. I'm confident that unless I pointed out the edits on a per pixel level no-one would ever know and I couldn't have done it without PS. The result is an image I am very proud of not necessarily in terms of saleability but just that I took and produced it.

I'm guessing the folks that use PS to do basic touchups and adjustments have been doing it since before LR existed and PS was really the only option for this, or have I got that wrong?

45 minutes ago, Cal said:

I'm guessing the folks that use PS to do basic touchups and adjustments have been doing it since before LR existed and PS was really the only option for this, or have I got that wrong?

Sounds likely, itr sort of applied to me as I had PS from quite early on. I hadn't appreciated that LR was so young- 2007- after I started digital but before I got the DSLR. As soon as I figured out how to acquire LR (late 2010 by the looks of my old catalogue) I dropped PS like a hot brick. I don't think I've used it for stock processing since; and I don't even make much use of the database which I'm told is LR's strength. I just find it so much faster to work on a batch of images. Previews take a while but it's second nature and you just factor it in.

47 minutes ago, Cal said:

I guess if you're used to that process and it works for you then that is all good, but that sounds like a faff to me! Those adjustments can be made almost instantaneously in LR as per space cadet's reply. I find even doing spot adjustments to remove particularly stubborn highlights or blackened shadows to be preferable in LR too, and you can keyword right there in the library. Not only that, but the "heal" tool in LR is unbelievably good at removing dust or small areas of image you don't want and making it look totally natural. It beats clone hands down except in a small set of specific situations I've encountered.

Yes you have that wrong - ACR existed before Lightroom for one thing. I have been using Photoshop since the mid-90s but have adapted as things have evolved. When I got my first DSLR in 2005, I started shooting raw and using ACR in conjunction with Photoshop (Lightroom didn't exist back then). I started using Lightroom in 2012 and my philosophy is to do as much on the raw file as possible but often finish off in Photoshop. So all the basic adjustments (white balance, exposure, highlights, shadows, curve for contrast, noise, sharpening, transforms) are done in Lightroom. 

My Photoshop work is not necessarily or even usually heavy retouching at all. If I am spotting an image, then it is Photoshop for sure. Despite huge advances in Lightroom, I still find Photoshop has far superior graphics to Lightroom so I can move around or zoom in and out of an image much faster. The healing and cloning tools in Photoshop are far superior to Lightroom/ACR and importantly have pressure sensitive brushes if using a graphics tablet. Layer masks give a whole new level of control when making local adjustments although I generally prefer to do most of these in Lightroom on the raw file if possible. Making detailed selections and saving selections - Photoshop for sure. 

So for me it is about balance and need - horses for courses. I use both. 

Yes, I used PS for a looong time before getting CC. It was like a comfortable shoe. I went through the learning process, spent the time, and it seems more intuitive to me.

Don't get me wrong. I open all of my images in LR first. But basically I use the sliders. And the upright tool if needed. Also WB. Sometimes color.  Even try auto once in awhile. Then on to PS. I don’t use the adjustment brush. I make a mess of it then don’t know how to get things back to original. Scares the bejammers out of me. So I don’t practice.

On 19/09/2020 at 11:44, spacecadet said:

I used to just drag down a grad filter or burn in with adjustment brush, but I found something better- if there's not much blue in the rest of the image, either reduce the blue luminance or increase blue saturation in the HSL panel.

I sometimes use the "saturation/luminance" panel to increase the brightness of dull images after all other methods failed to produce the image I wanted.

Method I use is to increase the saturation on all colours to +100 then lift luminance to +50. After that basic adjustment you may/will find that you have to make further adjustments up or down with the various sliders depending on the look of the image and what you are trying to achieve.

It works, believe me, and yes it may seem to be too much of a fiddle but the operation can be carried out in the time it has taken me to write this post.

I have rescued a few images this way.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I sometimes use the "saturation/luminance" panel to increase the brightness of dull images after all other methods failed to produce the image I wanted.

Method I use is to increase the saturation on all colours to +100 then lift luminance to +50. After that basic adjustment you may/will find that you have to make further adjustments up or down with the various sliders depending on the look of the image and what you are trying to achieve.

It works, believe me, and yes it may seem to be too much of a fiddle but the operation can be carried out in the time it has taken me to write this post.

I have rescued a few images this way.

Allan

That is interesting, Allan. Is there a difference from using the Basic panel to increase the saturation and then the exposure? I do find the HSL panel very useful for individual colors and the little target tool works nicely.

Paulette

39 minutes ago, NYCat said:

That is interesting, Allan. Is there a difference from using the Basic panel to increase the saturation and then the exposure? I do find the HSL panel very useful for individual colors and the little target tool works nicely.

Paulette

I found there is a difference, yes.

It is best to experiment though as it will not be the same for all images.

Allan

On 19/09/2020 at 00:48, Betty LaRue said:

Steve, there are things I could probably do in LR that involves the adjustment brush and other things I can’t seem to get on with. So say I have an image with a sky I want a bit darker/bluer. I create an lightness/darkness layer. Lower the exposure until the sky is perfect. Then use a brush to remove that “darkness” from the foreground. There are other things I do in layers, also. Not often. 
The main thing is I prefer doing tweaks in curves in PS. I also crop there, dust spot there, and reduce size if I need to sharpen it up.

i save as an 8 bit Tiff back in the desktop folder. I keyword in Bridge, save the jpeg to an upload folder and another next to the Raw, then delete the tiff.

Thanks Betty, that's good to know. I think you can do most of that in LR as you say. But it's whatever programme you're used to using.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a larger screen for keywording (as well as working on photos). Keywording on a small screen in LR is a pain. Haven't tried with Bridge. Not sure I want to add more steps to my workflow though... 🤔

Steve