Picture needs...

On the Twitter feed Alamy has suggested we try to fill the 300+ needs they have for animals and wildlife. I had already checked the one that I have but I noticed a couple that don't look too hard for some of you....  "feral cat in Australia" (assuming it is just a domestic cat living in the wild) . There are just 37 already on Alamy. The other one is "pigeons in an allotment". Just 14 already on Alamy.  Who knows if it is worth your time but maybe you have something.

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

The other one is "pigeons in an allotment".

Bryan can probably full-fill that one.

Allan

41 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting list. I'll have to keep my eyes open for Naked Mole Rats and Sarcastic Fringeheads. 😁

"The sarcastic fringehead is a small but very hardy saltwater fish that has a large mouth and aggressive territorial behavior"

A few of these up the local pub.😀

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

"The sarcastic fringehead is a small but very hardy saltwater fish that has a large mouth and aggressive territorial behavior"

A few of these up the local pub.😀

They are a fairly common species here as well.

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

"Sloth swimming" might be challenging as well. I've read that they only came down from the trees once-a-week to do their business. Also, it's tough to imagine a sloth in a bathing suit. 🦥

I've seen one swimming close-up in the Amazon. Did I take a pic? Nope.

It might not be as rare a sight in the flooded forest as they swap tree. Of course, one has to be out and about on the river to see them. So many missed photo opportunities when I lived there!

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

I had already checked the one that I have but I noticed a couple that don't look too hard for some of you....  "feral cat in Australia" (assuming it is just a domestic cat living in the wild) . The other one is "pigeons in an allotment". Just 14 already on Alamy.  Who knows if it is worth your time but maybe you have something.

Paulette

Thank you for the heads up Paulette. Feral cats are not at all easy to photograph. Originally, they were domestic escapees. They now breed in the wild and have developped into a much bigger size. I was lucky enough to see one. I have 3 out of the 39 on Alamy and this picture has sold.

I was in hiding by a very remote waterhole in the Outback. Anything could and did appear, it was lottery. Several flocks of budgies, emus, birds, foxes, it was exhilarating. I felt like a 'David Attenboroughette'. I did suffer for this pic, we had 53C inside the campervan, no aircon. We had ice cubes inside a rolled towel around our necks at night... 

EJPY41.jpg

• Love 2

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

I've seen one swimming close-up in the Amazon. Did I take a pic? Nope.

It might not be as rare a sight in the flooded forest as they swap tree. Of course, one has to be out and about on the river to see them. So many missed photo opportunities when I lived there!

That must be the sloth that got away. Too bad you missed the shot. I tried to photograph sloths in Costa Rica, but there always seemed to be tree branches in the way. They're very cool creatures. I think that we overactive humans could learn a lot from them.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Guess what happens the one time you actually want pigeons in your allotment.....

Indeed, I've a few shots of the damage they cause, but, strangely enough, they are never there when I am around. 

Talking of pigeons we have one with a damaged wing that is often to be seen in our garden at home. I don't know how long pigeons live, but this one has been going for years, and, despite his disability, he is often accompanied by a mate. I've never seen him do harm to our plants, indeed I have no idea what sustains him. A curious but not unwelcome visitor.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I tried to photograph sloths in Costa Rica, but there always seemed to be tree branches in the way. They're very cool creatures. I think that we overactive humans could learn a lot from them.

Like going to the toilets once a week?? LOL!! 

Edited by gvallee

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed, I've a few shots of the damage they cause, but, strangely enough, they are never there when I am around. 

Talking of pigeons we have one with a damaged wing that is often to be seen in our garden at home. I don't know how long pigeons live, but this one has been going for years, and, despite his disability, he is often accompanied by a mate. I've never seen him do harm to our plants, indeed I have no idea what sustains him. A curious but not unwelcome visitor.

Ours have been scoffing an awful lot of lilac leaves lately. The bluetits like the seeds, but the pigeons need their veg. No problem, saves us having to cut it back;)

Maximum pigeon bush capacity is about 3 which is just as well- a couple of dozen could do a locust job on it.

Fortunately nothing seems to like land cress. We have so much it goes in the soup.

Edited by spacecadet