Nikon D850

My Nikon D3X has finally packed in on a commercial property job today. I need to replace it with another full frame Nikon as all my prime lenses are FX. Looking around I have come across the D850 which is a possible replacement - would any of you recommend this or an alternative? TIA.

I use a D5 and D850. I’m more and more carrying the D850 and really now only use the D5 for fast sports events as the buffer is superior. In every other respect the D850 is my favourite. With such large files, the crop factor with telephoto lenses in particular is tremendous, and the camera is substantially lighter than the D5. Definitely recommend.

• Thanks 1

I love my D850.  I think it is Nikon’s best all around camera since the D700.  While you can use the less expensive SD cards, I would suggest using the XQD cards, the writing speed is much faster....no buffering, if shooting a burst of photos.  I would love to get another but just can’t afford it at the moment.

• Thanks 1

The D850 is the ultimate DSLR. It has everything: incredible image quality and dynamic range with huge amounts of room for cropping.  While it may not match the D5 in terms of frame rate and buffer size, it can still shoot a large burst and the AF tracking is astonishingly good despite the huge file size. I don't do sports but I have used mine to track running dogs and horses and it is amazing. However, the large files sizes will tax an older computer so do consider that if relevant. Plenty of RAM is required to run Lightroom comfortably. 

Depending on what you do and if weight and/or video comes into the equation at all, then you could take a look at the Z6 or Z7. The 24MP Z6 has to be the best value for money in any full frame camera at the moment and shouldn't be taxing on a computer in comparison to the 45MP Z7 or D850. You can get an adapter so that most older Nikon lenses work on the Z series. These cameras can't match the D850 in terms of AF speed and tracking but if you are not doing action then they are well worth considering. The new Z series lenses are astoundingly sharp.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Great choice. There is nothing that this camera can't do (photographically). Action, landscapes, portraiture - you name it - unbeatable. A few other things - it excels in low light at high ISO and it has the automatic focus stacking feature which opens up a new world for close-up photography (as long as everything is static). Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

I've been using my D800's for so long that I'm wearing one of them out.  Love the 800's just as I still

use my 700's when I need quick smaller files.  I do have a few newer NIKKOR lenses and will

say that they are not built as well as the older NIKKOR's.  I used my very old 80-200 AF f2.8 all

over the world for several decades without a problem, but the newer NIKKOR's seem to wear out

in a few years.  I still have and use my VERY old 35-70 AF-D f2.8, it has worked on NIKON bodies

from 1967 (F) to 2015 (D800) and is still perfect.

Would be interested in seeing the "Real Difference" between the D800's and the D850.

I do really miss the days of a couple of Leica M's a couple of SLR's, a Blad. and a lot of glass....

Chuck

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I've been using my D800's for so long that I'm wearing one of them out.  Love the 800's just as I still

use my 700's when I need quick smaller files.  I do have a few newer NIKKOR lenses and will

say that they are not built as well as the older NIKKOR's.  I used my very old 80-200 AF f2.8 all

over the world for several decades without a problem, but the newer NIKKOR's seem to wear out

in a few years.  I still have and use my VERY old 35-70 AF-D f2.8, it has worked on NIKON bodies

Would be interested in seeing the "Real Difference" between the D800's and the D850.

I do really miss the days of a couple of Leica M's a couple of SLR's, a Blad. and a lot of glass....

Chuck

Chuck, I owned a couple D800’s and I found the biggest difference, for me at least, was the buffering.  I do a lot of people shoots and if I did a large burst of shots with the D800, the camera would stop so it could write images to the card. That was super annoying! With D850, that has been fixed.  The XQD cards are expensive but worth it....but you can use the SD card with the D850 if one wants.

On 02/08/2020 at 16:10, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

On 02/08/2020 at 16:26, Michael Ventura said:

Chuck, I owned a couple D800’s and I found the biggest difference, for me at least, was the buffering.  I do a lot of people shoots and if I did a large burst of shots with the D800, the camera would stop so it could write images to the card. That was super annoying! With D850, that has been fixed.  The XQD cards are expensive but worth it....but you can use the SD card with the D850 if one wants.

Definitely buffering is a major difference between the D800/D800E/D810 and the D850 but it is far from being the only difference. The D850 also has the same AF system as the D5 so has amazing tracking ability as well. Taking the buffering and the AF system together, the D850 is a formidable action camera whereas none of the earlier cameras were designed for speed and tracking.

Here are a few other important features which distinguish the D850 from the others.

1. The low light, high ISO performance is way ahead of the earlier cameras (2 stops better than the D800 at least). This is partly due to a new sensor design (backlit sensor) which is also used in the Z7. (EDIT - I was mainly thinking about noise control here which is way better in the D850 but the overall image quality at high ISO is also better)

2. The automatic focus stacking feature is incredibly useful (called Focus Shift by Nikon). It allows you to take a series of images automatically at different focal distances. This can be done manually or with a rail but the fact that it is built into the camera makes it extremely convenient.  It takes a bit of learning and experimentation but it opens up a new world in terms of depth of field in close-up. 

3. The D850 can be used in fully silent mode so very useful in situations where complete silent shooting is desirable or required (e.g. some wedding ceremonies).

4. 4K video

5. Removal of the AA filter makes for sharper images in comparison to the D800.

6. The larger pixel size (only about 30% larger) can give a bit more cropping room. Not a big deal over the D800/D800E/D810 really but worth mentioning. 

7. A minor thing but Nikon have moved the ISO button to the right beside the shutter button which is far more convenient for changing ISO as it can be done with the shutter finger so doesn't require taking the camera away from your face. Also ergonomics of the grip are a bit better. 

8. Electronic front curtain shutter control  - was also available in the D810. If interested see this article which specifically mentions an 80-400 zoom. 

9. Bigger and better screen.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/07/2020 at 11:47, Michael Ventura said:

I love my D850.  I think it is Nikon’s best all around camera since the D700.  While you can use the less expensive SD cards, I would suggest using the XQD cards, the writing speed is much faster....no buffering, if shooting a burst of photos.  I would love to get another but just can’t afford it at the moment.

Same hear, I'd love another, but I have a D610 for back-up which doesn't see light very often now because the D850 is so sharp. The sharpness is the standard all DSLR's should be.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

Same hear, I'd love another, but I have a D610 for back-up which doesn't see light very often now because the D850 is so sharp. The sharpness is the standard all DSLR's should be.

Although one should not forget to mention that lens quality is of prime importance here. What may have looked fine at 24MP may not look so good at 36 or 45 MP. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dyn Llun said:

Chuck said:

"I do really miss the days of a couple of Leica M's" .

I don't miss a couple of Leica M's because I still use them!. Film and digital. 

Pete Davis

Good for you Pete,

I miss my M2 and the 21 f3.4 and the 90 2.8 the most.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer

On 04/08/2020 at 15:18, Chuck Nacke said:

Good for you Pete,

I miss my M2 and the 21 f3.4 and the 90 2.8 the most.

Chuck

Had to learn to use a screw mount Leica on my first day of work at - only just - 15. (1962) Bought my own a few years later (which I still have) and now also have a few M models and they are well used for my 'personal' - non project work and the digi M I use for the stuff that needs to be digi. It's great that I can use all my older lenses even on the newest digi M's - even screw lenses with a simple adaptor and they are still superb. I tend to use 35mm and 50 most, all Summicrons. Analogue M bodies also increase in value even more than rare single malt whisky! A good pension fund - except I'm never going to retire! 

Pete Davis

9 hours ago, Dyn Llun said:

Had to learn to use a screw mount Leica on my first day of work at - only just - 15. (1962) Bought my own a few years later (which I still have) and now also have a few M models and they are well used for my 'personal' - non project work and the digi M I use for the stuff that needs to be digi. It's great that I can use all my older lenses even on the newest digi M's - even screw lenses with a simple adaptor and they are still superb. I tend to use 35mm and 50 most, all Summicrons. Analogue M bodies also increase in value even more than rare single malt whisky! A good pension fund - except I'm never going to retire! 

Pete Davis

Pete,

Funny story Leica vs Nikon.  Back in the 80's I bought a Leitz 28 2.8 for a lot of money and about the same time I bought a new Nikkor 28 2.8 AF-D for less than $300 (less than a quarter of what the Leitz cost me) and I tested the Leitz against the Nikkor using K-64 and at all apertures the Nikkor  beat the Leitz.  In my opinion, the German 21 3.4 on the other hand was one of the modern Leitz wonders, I never liked the 2.8 version.

Now for the bad news, I am trying to find a new engine for my 2001 W210 M-B, what a pain.

Hey, are you using ViewScan?  I'm trying to find a good, really good, source of information on that software.

Chuck

No D8xx series here - MP's far too high.  My daily gear is a recently bought used D4s with 24-70 and a D700 with a 70-200 - I recently retired my D3, but I still have it as a back up.  I'm also using my Sony RX 100 MK 3 more often these days as I look more like a tourist with it than a press tog.

5 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Chuck, just in case that wasn't just a typo, it's Vuescan by Ed Hamrick. Their own help files aren't a bad starting point:

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc.htm

Harry,

Thanks,  I've been through everything Hamrick has available, without much luck beyond the very basics,  I am looking for much more than a starting point.  I just recalibrated everything and found a very good YouTube video, but since I am relying on VueScan ( sorry my mistake) to run my CanoScan FS4000 on a windows 10 machine I am looking for more.  I use to get good results out of the old Canon software, but it will not work in a windows 10 machine.

An 320 engine for a W210 is getting more frustrating every day......

Chuck

12 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Pete,

Funny story Leica vs Nikon.  Back in the 80's I bought a Leitz 28 2.8 for a lot of money and about the same time I bought a new Nikkor 28 2.8 AF-D for less than $300 (less than a quarter of what the Leitz cost me) and I tested the Leitz against the Nikkor using K-64 and at all apertures the Nikkor  beat the Leitz.  In my opinion, the German 21 3.4 on the other hand was one of the modern Leitz wonders, I never liked the 2.8 version.

Now for the bad news, I am trying to find a new engine for my 2001 W210 M-B, what a pain.

Hey, are you using ViewScan?  I'm trying to find a good, really good, source of information on that software.

Chuck

Chuck: I think there is software called Vue Scan which is supposed to work on all scanners with Mac or Windows. I think I used a free download of that years ago for a scanner I acquired from somewhere. Now I use the specific software for the large format scanner I have. However, Vue Scan is still around. If that's what you meant.

Talking about engines. I reluctantly got rid of my Mazda RX8 last year which has a unique engine. It was still working fine but a few other parts  were failing and they were horrendously expensive. (As was filling it up frequently (25 mpg) and road tax, servicing etc.). Plus not many roads in the UK where you dare give it a real blast. Top speed about 150. I got it to 120 once on a quiet stretch. (Don't tell anyone). 

8 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Harry,

Thanks,  I've been through everything Hamrick has available, without much luck beyond the very basics,  I am looking for much more than a starting point.  I just recalibrated everything and found a very good YouTube video, but since I am relying on VueScan ( sorry my mistake) to run my CanoScan FS4000 on a windows 10 machine I am looking for more.  I use to get good results out of the old Canon software, but it will not work in a windows 10 machine.

An 320 engine for a W210 is getting more frustrating every day......

Chuck

https://images.fitmentindustries.com/web/853698-7-2004-e55-amg-mercedes-benz-base-air-lift-performance-air-suspension-vossen-cg-205-custom.jpg

The 850 of M-B engines. It should fit.

It's been a while since I have been using Vuescan, but what is that you want to do that's not in the manual?

Btw where has the User's Guide gone?

This one is from my bookmarks https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc.htm

And the pdf: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.pdf

His workflow and pre-sets look pretty decent.

There's the 2011 Vuescan Bible now free afaik here.

In the past, Hamrick has been quite accessible.

wim

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

https://images.fitmentindustries.com/web/853698-7-2004-e55-amg-mercedes-benz-base-air-lift-performance-air-suspension-vossen-cg-205-custom.jpg

The 850 of M-B engines. It should fit.

It's been a while since I have been using Vuescan, but what is that you want to do that's not in the manual?

Btw where has the User's Guide gone?

This one is from my bookmarks https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc.htm

And the pdf: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.pdf

His workflow and pre-sets look pretty decent.

There's the 2011 Vuescan Bible now free afaik here.

In the past, Hamrick has been quite accessible.

wim

Wim,

LOL, that is a nice looking engine, but I would prefer my old 67 Mustang's hi-pro 390 back,  I can not stand all of the electronics in "modern" cars.

This old e320 4matic estate wagon has been a really solid vehicle, 144,000 and I just want to keep it that way.

I did answer my main questions about VueScan, "how to get the best RAW 16bit aRGB TIFF from a 35mm chrome"  The problem I am still having is working from a 

Fujichrome RD and RDP originals,  I am happy with my results from E-6, K-14 chromes and  C-41 negs.

Thanks for the links, I had already printed out the vuesc.htm and the pdf.  Not familiar with "Vuescan Bible"  Is that like the Bible that Trump held up outside the DC church........

Thanks again Wim

Chuck

8 hours ago, Dyn Llun said:

Chuck: I think there is software called Vue Scan which is supposed to work on all scanners with Mac or Windows. I think I used a free download of that years ago for a scanner I acquired from somewhere. Now I use the specific software for the large format scanner I have. However, Vue Scan is still around. If that's what you meant.

Talking about engines. I reluctantly got rid of my Mazda RX8 last year which has a unique engine. It was still working fine but a few other parts  were failing and they were horrendously expensive. (As was filling it up frequently (25 mpg) and road tax, servicing etc.). Plus not many roads in the UK where you dare give it a real blast. Top speed about 150. I got it to 120 once on a quiet stretch. (Don't tell anyone). 

Pete,

Yea I'm a veteran of the Rotary's, had just an RX2.  I've heard good things about the 8's,  But now way too deep into M-B and use to often run along at 100mph through New Hampshire.  It also gets 25-28mpg on the highway cruising at 80mph.

Just saw the price of a Leica M 10-P (ouch).  For that and a couple of fast lenses you could buy a new M-B.

Chuck

11 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Thanks for the links, I had already printed out the vuesc.htm and the pdf.  Not familiar with "Vuescan Bible"  Is that like the Bible that Trump held up outside the DC church........

Dunno, but be careful when a man is holding his bible upside down. He's going to throw the book at you.

And you know where that expression came from. 😂

https://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/10commandments_2425344b.jpg

wim