Nikon D850

To all:

take a look at  - Image ID: 2CAFK3R  That was a Kodachrome shot with a Nikkor 24 AF-D on Kodachrome 64.  The image was scanned using VueScan with a CanoScan FS 4000 (single pass).

I do not think many photographing 35mm chromes  can equal that?  Took me about 10 hours to finish this image. Original TIFF image was a 5570 by 16bit TIFF in aRGB color,

Chuck

18 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

To all:

take a look at  - Image ID: 2CAFK3R  That was a Kodachrome shot with a Nikkor 24 AF-D on Kodachrome 64.  The image was scanned using VueScan with a CanoScan FS 4000 (single pass).

I do not think many photographing 35mm chromes  can equal that?  Took me about 10 hours to finish this image. Original TIFF image was a 5570 by 16bit TIFF in aRGB color,

Chuck

Not sure that the point of this is how long we can spend on an individual image or what you are trying to prove.

Until you try using digital methods you just don't know which is why all you can say is what you 'think'.

I think that you might be surprised at how good the results can be from DSLRs. 

It's just the same thing but using different methods. 

On 08/08/2020 at 05:05, MDM said:

This thread is now a contender for hijack of the year on the Alamy forum.

Jac (Kennedy photographer) - not Hijac Kennedy by any chance? He was my great uncle so I am related to him and all other Irish Kennedys. DNA studies show that all Irish Kennedys are descended from a single ancestor. Oh sorry did I change the subject? Oh you meant Jac Lowe? Silly me. 

Engines you say. Well the D850 has the Exspeed 5 which is the same processing engine as the D5 and allows it to process masses of information at lightning speed without endangering others or the environment. On a related subject, the battery life with the D850 is astoundingly good so is better for the environment (than a camera with the same battery but poorer battery life). They also last for years so have further benefits for the environment in that regard. 

Twain you say. Still around but little used any more as the interfaces to interact with imaging devices such as consumer and prosumer film scanners, such as those made by Canon and Nikon at the turn of the century. These  have now largely been superseded by camera copying which is far faster and gives far superior results.  The D850 is particularly well-endowed in this regard as it can copy 35mm negatives and turn them into positives in the camera for those in a real hurry. 

Leica you say. Some would consider the digital versions to be overpriced  toys for old boys with more money than sense

Aah the D850. Yes the ultimate DSLR. 😎

Michael,

I asked Vincent if he was related to Jac (Jacques Lowe) who worked as a photogapher for Joseph Kennedy.  

Jac's images are like Jim Marshall's but Leica has not created a "Limited" edition M body named after him,

that could be because he used Hasselblads...

You off your meds again?  Sorry I missed this post, might have been a good thing? 

FYI I have shoes older than you and I still wear them daily......

Chuck, being nice....

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Not sure that the point of this is how long we can spend on an individual image or what you are trying to prove.

Until you try using digital methods you just don't know which is why all you can say is what you 'think'.

I think that you might be surprised at how good the results can be from DSLRs. 

It's just the same thing but using different methods. 

Not trying to "Prove anything"  I care about every image that carries my name and I do the best that I can to create 

an image as close to the original as I can before I upload it.

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Michael,

You off your meds again?  Sorry I missed this post, might have been a good thing? 

FYI I have shoes older than you and I still wear them daily......

Chuck, being nice....

Poor Chuck. Sounds like you are on the meds or in need of some? Take care boy. 

Edited by MDM

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

To all:

Chuck

That image has a strong red-magenta colour cast, clearly visible in the skin tones of the two main subjects' faces as well as the granitic column behind. One doesn't need to see the image at full size to see that but one does need to see it full size to determine the overall quality (noise and sharpness) as has been said ad infinitum on the other thread. 

Edited by MDM

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2020 at 17:56, Chuck Nacke said:

Ed,

That is why a lot of use used Canon SLR's and Leicas, they both focused the same direction to infinity.

Jim always used Nikon SLR's for telephoto work.

Chuck

Except that Canon kept changing its basic lens mount so that we would have to buy a whole new set of bodies and lenses. Nikon considered their cameras as part of a pro system and they did their best to keep things that way. I've own many different makes of cameras over the year, but I never owned a Canon.

Edo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Except that Canon kept changing its basic lens mount so that we would have to buy a whole new set of bodies and lenses.

I was very miffed when Canon FD went to EOS but in retrospect that smaller lens mount was holding back development of their lenses so it had to go. It may be why they've always had a much better range of architectural tilt/shift lenses than Nikon. Another big advantage of Canon is the short flange focal distance which means that you can mount very many lenses from other manufacturers on a Canon via an adapter. I used to use the 35mm & 28mm PC-Nikkors on my Canon 5D Mk. II but actually they're really not up to scratch for digital at all, Mamiya & Olympus are far superior.