A call-out to car fans...

John Morrison

Question

53 minutes ago, kay said:

Lotus Exige (apparently)

I'm not a car fan but had a similar id problem and was introduced to the 'mot checker' - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/  very useful if you can read the number plate! :)

Brilliant! Thank you...

Next question: how have I lived so long without knowing this?? 😮

I've bookmarked the webpage...

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Brilliant! Thank you...

Next question: how have I lived so long without knowing this?? 😮

Not much use for older/vintage vehicles which are exempt MOT. But still useful for more modern classics.

Allan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Not much use for older/vintage vehicles which are exempt MOT. But still useful for more modern classics.

Allan

Still works for older cars - I just tried entering the reg "1RAC" and it came back with

1RAC 

SIMMS SALOON

Check another vehicle

ColourMaroon 

Fuel typePetrol 

Date registered31 December 1900 

MOT expired on28 October 2015

redhill-surrey-uk-3rd-november-2013-1rac

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

They're only exempt tax, not MoT, and you still have to retax every year. It just costs £0.

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

😮

This one has more info,  in case you need to know petrolhead stuff

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

They're only exempt tax, not MoT, and you still have to retax every year. It just costs £0.

This one has more info,  in case you need to know petrolhead stuff

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Older vehicles are exempt MOT.

Can't remember the criteria now, but my car is 51 years old.  MOT not required.

Road fund licence (tax)...I have to go thru the process of taxing it, but the fee is 0 , as  you stated.

Many people with older vehicles do MOT them even tho it's not required, simply for peace of mind. And it may help in your favour if there is an accident. Insurance may want some sort of proof of road worthiness too.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Can't remember the criteria now, but my car is 51 years old.  MOT not required.

Road fund licence (tax)...I have to go thru the process of taxing it, but the fee is 0 , as  you stated.

Many people with older vehicles do MOT them even tho it's not required, simply for peace of mind. And it may help in your favour if there is an accident. Insurance may want some sort of proof of road worthiness too.

Beat me to it.

Allan

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Yes, set at 40 years old without major modification and rolls on each year, as does the tax exemption, also at 40 years. Rather pleased when it came in for my 1976 motorbike four years ago though I've always done the maintenance myself anyway. I did actually quite enjoy getting someone to go over it and check thoroughly for something I might have missed but I can't say I bother now.

41 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Beat me to it.

Allan

40 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, set at 40 years old without major modification and rolls on each year, as does the tax exemption, also at 40 years. Rather pleased when it came in for my 1976 motorbike four years ago though I've always done the maintenance myself anyway. I did actually quite enjoy getting someone to go over it and check thoroughly for something I might have missed but I can't say I bother now.

Cheers guys.

Only last month I had my Morris pick up truck MOT'd.

Passed without any faults or advisories.

Long live the Morris Minor ! 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Cheers guys.

Only last month I had my Morris pick up truck MOT'd.

Passed without any faults or advisories.

Long live the Morris Minor ! 😁

Just noticed we both have near enough the same number of images up on Alamy.

My last upload was the 22nd April then I furloughed myself.

Thinking I may start uploading again but hate the four week wait to see if I have passed QC or not.

Allan

15 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thinking I may start uploading again but hate the four week wait to see if I have passed QC or not.

Allan

Oh yes. We are nearly neck and neck.

I've uploaded quite a few images of late. My driving work has taken me far and wide, so I get some stock opportunities at times.

I haven't had to lockdown, plenty of driving work to get me out and about. Quite lucky I suppose.

Try not to worry about the 4 week QC wait. Upload some images and continue with other things.

When your pictures pass QC, you'll be glad you did send them in.

It used to take a few weeks with Alamy in the early years, sending them a CD with TIFF files on,  and waiting for the QC to process/check the results.

Phil

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I wish I'd stored my old 1951 BSA 125 D1 Bantam NKX268 in my parents garage. Bought it in 1966 when 16 for £10, sold it 18 months later for £10. I just wanted it off my hands as I then had the use of a company vehicle, a Morris 1000 van TBH484E, after learning to drive in it. Can still remember the registration number of all vehicles, company or mine, that I've driven.

44 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I wish I'd stored my old 1951 BSA 125 D1 Bantam NKX268 in my parents garage.

I would think that a your Bantam D1 lightweight would be a fun means of transport these days, you could have taken it up Kop Hill, albeit slowly. I had a 250 C15 to pass my test on and that was fun also, the 650 I replaced it with was altogether more serious. I always quite fancied a Morris van, I remember when there were plenty of ex-GPO versions advertised in the Exchange & Mart but in the end I got a Traveller. That was good also but I always slightly resented having to do woodwork on a car.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I would think that a your Bantam D1 lightweight would be a fun means of transport these days, you could have taken it up Kop Hill, albeit slowly. I had a 250 C15 to pass my test on and that was fun also, the 650 I replaced it with was altogether more serious. I always quite fancied a Morris van, I remember when there were plenty of ex-GPO versions advertised in the Exchange & Mart but in the end I got a Traveller. That was good also but I always slightly resented having to do woodwork on a car.

The Bantam only had 55mph on the clock, and I remember getting it up to 54 going down hill from Ivinghoe Beacon on my way back from college in Luton. It sure did rattle at that speed. It came with leg shields and a windscreen. The bottom of the leg shields would create sparks when cornering fast, both were soon removed. I was only stopped once by the police on it, for having the front L plate taped to the top of the front mudguard. Was told only low flying aircraft could see it. I used to get loaned a Morris Traveller, or a very old Morris Minor van CMJ815 when mine went into the company garage for a service. Interesting times.

On 29/07/2020 at 20:13, sb photos said:

Can still remember the registration number of all vehicles, company or mine, that I've driven.

I can remember all my old cars.....

...... but when I get to those stupid ticket machines that insist on entering your reg number, I can't remember the number plate of the car I'm driving! (Lucky I have a couple of photos on my phone!)

1 hour ago, Jools Devon said:

...... but when I get to those stupid ticket machines that insist on entering your reg number, I can't remember the number plate of the car I'm driving! (Lucky I have a couple of photos on my phone!)

I have become a big fan of paying car parks by phone. No more hoarding coins and best of all at the moment no touching the machine! 

On 29/07/2020 at 19:51, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Taking 3-4 days in QC at the moment for me. Hope this motivates you Allan!

1 minute ago, Tony ALS said:

Taking 3-4 days in QC at the moment for me. Hope this motivates you Allan!

Hello Tony. How many QC stars do you have?

I only have one and that is why it takes a long time to QC my images.

Allan

35 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I have become a big fan of paying car parks by phone. No more hoarding coins and best of all at the moment no touching the machine! 

You still have to remember your index number! And where your car is.

18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hello Tony. How many QC stars do you have?

I only have one and that is why it takes a long time to QC my images.

Allan

Two stars since I joined. I don't know if this will change at some point or how much difference it makes.

55 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You still have to remember your index number! And where your car is.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I use the Ringgo app, so it remembers my registration number and can direct me to the approximate place I left the the car. All I have to remember is which car is mine.  I'm stuffed are'nt I! 😜

40 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Quite a bit. At five stars, subject to the occasional random call-in, you bypass QC.

But I guess not such a big difference between 1 and 2 stars? 4 weeks is a bit extreme which I would hope has improved by now.

4 hours ago, Jools Devon said:

I did the same when I first bought my Mondeo.

18 hours ago, Jools Devon said:

I bought my car just before lockdown. I've barely used it and there's no way I could remember the number.

Alan

On 31/07/2020 at 16:55, Mr Standfast said:

I like paying via an App (or Phone)......

what I don't like is being charged extra for the privilege, and the council calling it a "Convenience Charge"!

• Love 1