What is your favourite hiking trail

Pacforsberg

Hello world, I'm going through old pictures and keywording those that will go to stock. Found pictures of Caminito del Rey (Malaga) and started missing the hiking in the summers. Even though I didn't like Caminito del rey because it was overcrowded and too controlled (payed entrance and security guards and cameras once every 20 m or so), the landscape is amazing! 

I would like to know what is your favourite hiking trails? (I need inspiration for my daydreaming!)

The South West Coast Path in Cornwall, England is pretty spectacular at any time of the year.

This is the other half and her daughter that lives down there - we should have been there over Easter. Oh well, it will be all the sweeter when we finally get down there again.

John.

people-walking-on-the-footpath-above-porthchapel-or-porth-chapel-beach-cornwall-south-west-england-uk-PG6TRA.jpg

Stunning views! I was supposed to go to the Alps in March, I had everything booked and planned and then the lockdown happened and I'm stuck in Spain since. I had planned on photographing the Matterhorn in the Swiss alps, but nope. Another time hopefully! I'm saving the names of the trails you mentioned, looks absolutely amazing! 

(I finally figured out how to embed an alamy image) Vereda de la Estrella is one of my favorite hikes. Located near Granada, Spain and part of the Sierra Nevada natural park, it has ha diverse ecology and beautiful views! 

gjar-sierra-spain-october-27-2019-beautiful-view-from-the-hiking-trail-vereda-de-la-estrella-in-the-natural-park-of-sierra-nevada-2AMBA8C.jpg

gjar-sierra-spain-october-27-2019-beautiful-view-from-the-hiking-trail-vereda-de-la-estrella-in-the-natural-park-of-sierra-nevada-2AMBA7W.jpg

1408-18-gjar-sierra-spain-the-peak-of-mulhacn-3-482-m-spains-tallest-mountain-photographed-from-the-hiking-trail-vereda-de-la-estrella-rio-g-2ACEE69.jpg

• Love 1

Living in Canadian Rockies, and having spent most of my life in outdoors, choices are plenty.   I hiked most of world famous trails -- Inca Trail in Peru,  Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania,  Everest Base Camp and Annapurna Range in Nepal,  Mount Kinabalu in Borneo,  Aoraki + Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand to name a few.    Here is brief cross-section:

1)  Yoho National Park,  Canada -- Lake O'Hara -- truly magical area if you can hit it right:

snowy-rocky-mountain-tops-and-chinook-sk

lake-ohara-basin-and-snowy-mountain-tops

2) Garibaldi Lake in Coast Mountains of British Columbia, Canada

panoramic-landscape-view-of-garibaldi-la

3) Giant Groundsels, endemic to Mount Kilimanjaro on Lemosho Glades trekking route:

dendrosenecio-kilimanjari-giant-groundse

4) "Selfie" on Mueller Hut track, Aoraki / Mt. Cook National Park, New Zealand South Island:

hiker-enjoying-views-in-aoraki-mt-cook-n

5) Recent addition -- December '19:   Iconic Annapurna Circuit in Nepal Himalayas.  Towering Annapurna III left

himalaya-mountain-range-landscape-scenic

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Some beautiful places and trails you all have shot!  I have a few but dull by comparison.

A rugged trail on the Monhegan Island, Maine, USA

usa-maine-me-monhegan-island-a-couple-climbs-a-steep-trail-on-the-K2AX2F.jpg

A not so rugged but scenic trail in Bryce Canyon, Utah, USA

the-queens-garden-trail-takes-hikers-down-to-the-bryce-amphitheater-AR7DYE.jpg

The C&O Canal towpath in Maryland, Washington DC

c-o-canal-national-historic-park-maryland-montgomery-county-usa-walking-BBPMXK.jpg

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Some beautiful places and trails you all have shot!  I have a few but dull by comparison.

A not so rugged but scenic trail in Bryce Canyon, Utah, USA

the-queens-garden-trail-takes-hikers-down-to-the-bryce-amphitheater-AR7DYE.jpg

Not dull Michael.  These are very beautiful too.   This one above,  it's "Fairyland Loop" in Bryce - one of my favorites too.   US southwest has lots of awesome hiking trails.  Bryce, Zion, Arches and then wonderland doesn't even begin to describe Grand Canyon.

• Love 1

Easy for me - the Chamonix Valley in the French Alps. I have written a short guide for anyone interested in going there

1. Open a map of the valley

2. Close your eyes

3. Point at a place randomly

4. Go to where your finger is pointing - I promise it will be cosmic.

A trekker silhouetted against the icefall of the Le Tour glacier near Chamonix in the French Alps Stock Photo

The Le Tour glacier from the path up to Albert 1er refuge

A lone person watcing sunset on the Aiguille Verte reflected in Lac Blanc, Chamonix, France Stock Photo

The Queen of the Valley - the elegant Aiguille Verte as seen from Lac Blanc.

Mother and son at lac Blanc silhouetted against Mont Blanc, Chamonix, France Stock Photo

Its family friendly too - The Leader of the Opposition with our boy looking at Mont Blanc from near Lac Blanc

A woman admires the view wild camping on le Brevent  in the French Alps with the Mont Blanc massif beyond Stock Photo

Before we had children - take the sleeping bags up and spend the night out under the stars. The Boss looking over the Chamonix Valley as seen from near le Brevent. A great boon to the idle in the area is the extensive network of cable cars. This means that you can camp out like this with cheese, wine, single malt, all the important stuff. This spot is only about 30 mins walk from the cable car station, so the heavy pack is easy. No need to hike the 3-4 hour plod to get up to this place from the valley.

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 1

Mount Roraima, Gran Sabana, Venezuela

These are not the best pix, being scans of old slides, done with minimal skills in Photoshop at the time.

The trip was fabulous. Not sure it can be done these days given the situation in Venezuela. But here you go, just in case. You have to be fit (long are those days for me)!!

AS0E07.jpg

AS0E09.jpg

AS101C.jpg

AS0DF4.jpg

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Mount Roraima, Gran Sabana, Venezuela

I am envious of these.  Tepui Roraima was on my list for a long time, but uncertainty after Chavez death made me turn away.

Would be great trek, combine with Angel Falls

11 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

I am envious of these.  Tepui Roraima was on my list for a long time, but uncertainty after Chavez death made me turn away.

Would be great trek, combine with Angel Falls

The country has gone to the dogs since. Not that it was the safest place on earth to travel to before anyway. It's such a shame, such an incredibly scenic country!

I also went to Angel Falls and have a few recollections from the trip. I was sitting next to the pilot in the Cessna taking us to the falls. He turned the ignition on, nothing. I was ordered to get out, he took a screwdriver, fiddled with something by the propellor, tried again, success, we were off!! Not exactly confidence inducing, especially when you're flying through misty mountains. The trip there also involved a river trip, part of which had to be made on foot to allow the canoe to get over rapids with the luggage only. Here's a pic I'm too ashamed of to show. Incredibly scenic. Sigh...

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

The country has gone to the dogs since. Not that it was the safest place on earth to travel to before anyway. It's such a shame, such an incredibly scenic country!

I also went to Angel Falls and have a few recollections from the trip. I was sitting next to the pilot in the Cessna taking us to the falls. He turned the ignition on, nothing. I was ordered to get out, he took a screwdriver, fiddled with something by the propellor, tried again, success, we were off!! Not exactly confidence inducing, especially when you're flying through misty mountains. The trip there also involved a river trip, part of which had to be made on foot to allow the canoe to get over rapids with the luggage only. Here's a pic I'm too ashamed of to show. Incredibly scenic. Sigh...

That's a great story.  Nothing to be ashamed off on canoe pic.   Was probably very hazy & nothing you could do about that.

So much one can gain by trekking the world & seeing all these faraway places.    I crossed Grand Canyon of Arizona rim-to-rim in 1 push, north to south.  Bats flying around me around 1am in Box Canyon,  almost sat on scorpion and waited dawn on lonely beach by Colorado river before heading up.  Things like this stay with you all your life.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

That's a great story.  Nothing to be ashamed off on canoe pic.   Was probably very hazy & nothing you could do about that.

So much one can gain by trekking the world & seeing all these faraway places.    I crossed Grand Canyon of Arizona rim-to-rim in 1 push, north to south.  Bats flying around me around 1am in Box Canyon,  almost sat on scorpion and waited dawn on lonely beach by Colorado river before heading up.  Things like this stay with you all your life.

My kind of thing!! Right down my alley. I have so many vivid recollections from my trips. A favourite one is when I went canoeing at night in the flooded forest in the Amazon. We're silently gliding through trees, curiously at canopy level. There is a bright moon. Our torch catches a glimpse of something in the bushes. We silently glide towards it and discover two small birds sound asleep, cuddled against each other. Like in a Hollywood film, lianas are hanging over us, bats flying. Then an almighty whooshing noise right next to our canoe in the dark made us jump out of our skins. It was only a river dolphin...

Edited by gvallee

So many great photos and stories, I would love to hear more about them! I am very jealous of all the great hikes that you have accomplished. I would love to hear more about that trip to Venezuela! 

One of the most scenic hikes for me must be the Trolltunga hike in Odda, Norway. Definitely the most memorable at least!

0209-17-tyssedal-norway-a-man-is-taking-a-break-from-the-hike-to-the-cliff-of-trolltunga-enjoying-the-view-of-the-reservoir-lake-ringedalsvatnet-2A2HX30.jpg

Great spot for lunch!

0209-17-trolltunga-norway-tourists-have-put-up-tents-to-spend-the-night-close-to-the-cliff-of-trolltunga-2A2HX36.jpg

It is a very popular destination so even if you go alone you will always have people around you!

0209-17-trolltunga-norway-a-man-is-sitting-on-the-edge-of-trolltunga-facing-the-sun-the-drop-down-is-700-m-2AW211T.jpg

When you reach the end of the trail there will be a reward waiting for you (the sun isn't always shining though ;)).

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Pacforsberg said:

So many great photos and stories, I would love to hear more about them! I am very jealous of all the great hikes that you have accomplished. I would love to hear more about that trip to Venezuela! 

That trip was a long time ago, around 1996, and my memory is hazy. There was no digital photography then, so I had to be selective on what I shot. The issue was also to keep the slide cannisters safe and dry. 

If memory serves, the trek to the top of Mt Roraima took 4 days. 1 day walking from a Pemon village to base camp. Then a day climbing. A day camping on top. A day climbing down and back to the village. 

AS106E.jpg

AS0EB3.jpg

AS0DFC.jpg

At the top of Mt Roraima were mini-gardens and mini-frogs who could not hop.

AS0FBF.jpg

AS0F9E.jpg

And strange rock formations. Also a field of white chrystals. It was prohibited to pick up any of course and back on the main road, cars were stopped and searched by the police if they knew you had gone to the summit.

AS0DFE.jpg

3 minutes ago, gvallee said:

That trip was a long time ago, around 1996, and my memory is hazy. There was no digital photography then, so I had to be selective on what I shot. The issue was also to keep the slide cannisters safe and dry. 

If memory serves, the trek to the top of Mt Roraima took 4 days. 1 day walking from a Pemon village to base camp. Then a day climbing. A day camping on top. A day climbing down and back to the village. 

AS106E.jpg

AS0EB3.jpg

AS0DFC.jpg

At the top of Mt Roraima were mini-gardens and mini-frogs who could not hop.

AS0FBF.jpg

AS0F9E.jpg

And strange rock formations. Also a field of white chrystals. It was prohibited to pick up any of course and back on the main road, cars were stopped and searched by the police if they knew you had gone to the summit.

AS0DFE.jpg

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

1 minute ago, Pacforsberg said:

That is true Allan, it is what you make it!

Some lovely images on here. Thanks for originating the thread.😀

Allan

Here on Tenerife we're lucky to have a huge network of paths crossing a varied landscape:

Crossing the solidified lava flow from the last eruption in Chinyero which took place in 1909.

D24WFC.jpg

Another volcanic landscape, Montaña Negra.

F0DP5F.jpg

Tha Masca barranco(Gorge) descent to the coast from the village, about a 1000metre drop over approx. 3KM.

G1N72R.jpg

Through the pine forest near Vilaflor, Spains highest village.

2AH3WT2.jpg

I'm sooooo looking forward to escaping this lockdown and getting out again.

Phil

46 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Here on Tenerife we're lucky to have a huge network of paths crossing a varied landscape:

Crossing the solidified lava flow from the last eruption in Chinyero which took place in 1909.

D24WFC.jpg

Another volcanic landscape, Montaña Negra.

F0DP5F.jpg

Tha Masca barranco(Gorge) descent to the coast from the village, about a 1000metre drop over approx. 3KM.

G1N72R.jpg

Through the pine forest near Vilaflor, Spains highest village.

2AH3WT2.jpg

I'm sooooo looking forward to escaping this lockdown and getting out again.

Phil

Tenerife looks amazing! I bet the lava fields are real boot eaters! I went with a guide in some lava tunnels in the Azores once and I remember some of those rocks being razor sharp!

45 minutes ago, Pacforsberg said:

Tenerife looks amazing! I bet the lava fields are real boot eaters! I went with a guide in some lava tunnels in the Azores once and I remember some of those rocks being razor sharp!

Boot eaters is right!!! I wear out the soles super quick, lucky to get 18 months from a pair, so I've given up buying expensive hiking boots now, Lidl's €20 is what I get!

Phil

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

I and 7 other women did a canoe trip to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota once. It involved canoeing down a small stream, getting out and portaging the canoes and supplies over shallow parts to a small island to camp.My best friend and I had never canoed before. We bounced from bank to bank trying to figure out how to steer the danged thing. We laughed until we cried while becoming intimately introduced to tree branches.

That was my first experience with black flies. Full on Deet didn’t discourage them from feeding on me, although the other women never got a bite.

All bloodsuckers love me. That’s why I stay away from Transylvania. I caught the most fish, though, while scratching my bites.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That was my first experience with black flies. Full on Deet didn’t discourage them from feeding on me, although the other women never got a bite.

All bloodsuckers love me. That’s why I stay away from Transylvania. I caught the most fish, though, while scratching my bites.

Betty

I sympathise.  Italy 2005

PICT2704.JPG

Mosquitos.  Not enough alcohol in my blood.  Join the spots.