'landscape' and 'portrait' as keywords ?

Do you include these keywords to indicate the orientation of the image ?

Or do you include them to indicate the subject matter ?

( ie an image could be a landscape landscape or a portrait landscape. )

At present I stick 'landscape' in when it's scenery but otherwise don't refer to the orientation.

At present I stick 'landscape' in when it's scenery but otherwise don't refer to the orientation.

Ditto

John

I include portrait for portraits of people.  Landscape for scenery.

Ditto, but I dont, for the reasons given above, use them just for the orientation of the image - that would simply damage rank

Kumar

Hey, my ranking is very good . . . I don't mess with my ranking. Portraits? Landscapes? When I shoot people on the street (out in the world) I think of those snaps as candids, not portraits. A portrait is when I have cooperation and control. Landscapes? I'm in New York City . . . since I don't travel anymore, I don't see many landscapes. Cityscapes, yeah, I might keyword those. 

I always put these as the orientation. Will need to have a look at the effect it has had on my ranking, if any.

dov

Have just had a quick look over the last 12 months and find that the quantity of ambiguous views for my pseudos have been de minimus. That said I do now question whether there is any merit in putting it in.

dov

I have known buyers search "vertical" as a keyword so occasionally put it in but mostly don't remember.  Would never use landscape or portrait for orientation but definitely for image subject

Pearl

Looking through the All of Alamy searches, the vast majority of searches including 'portrait' seem to be looking for pictures of people's faces. With 'Landscape' its harder to tell, but I think it would make everyone's lives much simpler if we all stuck to using them to describe content.

A search for 'landscape' certainly brings up overwhelmingly pictures of landscapes, some of them vertical (with the exception of a portrait of a landscape painter - but there's always one!)

I have never used landscape and portrait as keywords to indicate image orientation.  I have (at times) used horizontal and vertical instead.  Looking at All of Alamy, it does seem that these words are on occasion used to search for physical orientation of an image - but not that often.  Unsure as to the value of noting this at all...

Hi everyone

I've only been a member for 3 / 4 months - I use "Landscape" or "portrait" to describe the image orientation.

The reason I have been doing this is because…

the buyer can use image selection criteria:

- landscape

-portrait

-panoramic

-square

After reading the discussions above - i'm starting to get a little confused?

Any comments.

Tony

Hi everyone

I've only been a member for 3 / 4 months - I use "Landscape" or "portrait" to describe the image orientation.

The reason I have been doing this is because…

the buyer can use image selection criteria:

- landscape

-portrait

-panoramic

-square

After reading the discussions above - i'm starting to get a little confused?

Any comments.

Tony

The orientation search function doesn't use the keywords. Image orientation is detected by Alamy, probably from metadata, and the image is tagged accordingly.

....but if the actual search phrase includes "vertical' then a clean match could be achieved - e.g. "St Pauls Church vertical" - not all researchers are button happy - so as it is free to do - why not ?

Archived