I'm going to be in London for one day on Saturday and wonder if anyone has a suggestion about an aerial view.  I probably won't have time for both, but would the London Eye, or the Shard, be the better bet for good photos?

12 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I'm going to be in London for one day on Saturday and wonder if anyone has a suggestion about an aerial view.  I probably won't have time for both, but would the London Eye, or the Shard, be the better bet for good photos?

Not done either but I would have thought The Shard, if the weather is good, as it is higher than the Eye. But then again views of the river might be more interesting.

Allan

I'd also say The Shard because of the extra height, and because you can be up there for as long as you like. Imagine being at the top of its arc in the London Eye just as it gets overcast, to then change to bright sunlight when it deposits you back on the ground.

the Shard will do if the weather is ok

as for the London Eye - Big Ben is currently undergoing renovation so covered in scaffolding (which might have some value in itself)

On both you are shoooting through the glass so be prepared to deal with reflections

The Monument  tower , short walk from the Shard, is also worth a stop . No glass but metal safety net on the top so use lens with small diameter

There is also:

Sky Garden - 20 Fenchurch Street - free to enter but need to book in advance

Great view from the Greenwich Park

and Emirates Air Line cable car in North Greenwich

Hope you enjoy your visit :)

From the Shard website: Visitors are welcome to bring hand-held cameras and video equipment to create images and footage for their own personal, non-commercial use.

That means any photos you take can't be used commercially without permission (meaning paying a fee).

14 minutes ago, AndrewP said:

From the Shard website: Visitors are welcome to bring hand-held cameras and video equipment to create images and footage for their own personal, non-commercial use.

That means any photos you take can't be used commercially without permission (meaning paying a fee).

That applies to many locations which tends to get ignored looking at the Alamy portfolio, and seems to be a bit of a grey area for editorial. There are other situations such as airport customs gates where photography is banned but they get taken and sold, and I've yet to hear of an Alamy contributor being hauled off to the Tower. After seeing some sold I've taken the decision to upload some Disneyland shots, so hopefully the Gendarmerie won't come a knocking

• Love 1

Thanks all.  I'll go for the Shard.  I will be walking around with a tripod for twilight shots.  Hopefully, I can leave it at the desk, or something, when I go to the top to shoot.

It's best to store the tripod somewhere before going up the Shard, you won't be able to use it up there. If it's a travel tripod and fits in the cam bag, they usually let it through the airport style scanner in the bag, but not for use up there. Bring a black backing or better wear a black long-sleeve t-shirt, works a treat with the reflections there, which can be really bad depending on what your fellow visitors wear, stripes are particularly annoying. I used to go up there a lot for a few years with one of their annual passes but eventually got annoyed by the crowds at sunset. (black shirt also works well on the London Eye). For a reasonably undisturbed shot of the walkie talkie from the Shard, you can...umm...take it from the loos up there. No, I'm not kidding. The only place up there where you get one of the windows+view to yourself (although they can be dusty).

Another nice, free semi-aerial view is from the Tate Modern Blavatnik Building viewing platform. Tate security are also not keen on tripods or lots of camera gear, but 1 bag with two bodies/lenses tucked in usually goes through ok. It can get crowded. Used to have good sunset views also, but the recent architectural marvels on its western side are now largely blocking that. 

The Sky Garden is lovely, if you're just one person you can often get in with a little wait without the pre-booked free tickets (which seem to book a long way in advance), but it's not guaranteed and at busy times they may tell you to come back and try again a few hours later if you haven't booked. The good thing is that un-ticketed, you can stay as long as you like (unless they have an event). It has reflections as well, but they're less tricky than the Shard's (depending on time of day/light).

Plenty of tall buildings in the City and elsewhere also have fab views (friends who work in office towers blocks in handy), particularly the roof terrace bars, too many to list but there are plenty of listings online and on a warm summer's eve, most don't mind you taking a few shots if you consume a cocktail or three. Hyde Park Hilton's bar and resto also has lovely view, ditto places like Duck and Waffle ...but they all come with a hefty price tag of drinks/meal. 

Have a great day in London on Saturday.  BTW. Trooping the Colour, EID Festival Trafalgar Square and the Naked Bike Ride are all on (and more)! 🙂

PS. Re London Eye - on a Saturday the queues are very long. Also, whichever time you go, if it's a sunny day, you'll be shooting directly into the sun on either the left or right side. And your fellow passengers can be a pain, many tourists are ruthless when it comes to sticking their selfie sticks absolutely everywhere and not moving an inch. 

Edited by imageplotter
  • Love 1

If you are planning to visit the Fenchurch street building then also try the new block at 120 Fenchurch street. Not very high but has a rooftop garden at 15th floor and a different perspective

https://www.thegardenat120.com/

Free to enter

No prior booking required

Open until 9 PM in Summer

Tripods and Cameras allowed on top

24 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

BTW. Trooping the Colour.......

and of course the flypast at 13:00 which would be great to view from a raised location but may be a busy time with like minded people doing the same

My walking route will take me by most of that stuff, but wow.  It's going to be packed and I just won't be able to cover it all.  I'm now thinking I'll leave the tripod at the airport hotel.

2 hours ago, Reimar said:

My walking route will take me by most of that stuff, but wow.  It's going to be packed and I just won't be able to cover it all.  I'm now thinking I'll leave the tripod at the airport hotel.

That's probably best. You can be required not to use a tripod in a public place if it's thought to be obstructing others. Be aware that a surprising number of ordinary streets in London are actually privately owned and it's at least theorically possible that you could be legally told to desist from photographing, as the normal 'photogaphing from a public space' allowance doesn't apply. There are lists of these online, by borough, but it would be difficult to memorise them!

On 06/06/2019 at 21:17, imageplotter said:

It's best to store the tripod somewhere before going up the Shard, you won't be able to use it up there. If it's a travel tripod and fits in the cam bag, they usually let it through the airport style scanner in the bag, but not for use up there. Bring a black backing or better wear a black long-sleeve t-shirt, works a treat with the reflections there, which can be really bad depending on what your fellow visitors wear, stripes are particularly annoying. I used to go up there a lot for a few years with one of their annual passes but eventually got annoyed by the crowds at sunset. (black shirt also works well on the London Eye). For a reasonably undisturbed shot of the walkie talkie from the Shard, you can...umm...take it from the loos up there. No, I'm not kidding. The only place up there where you get one of the windows+view to yourself (although they can be dusty).

Another nice, free semi-aerial view is from the Tate Modern Blavatnik Building viewing platform. Tate security are also not keen on tripods or lots of camera gear, but 1 bag with two bodies/lenses tucked in usually goes through ok. It can get crowded. Used to have good sunset views also, but the recent architectural marvels on its western side are now largely blocking that. 

The Sky Garden is lovely, if you're just one person you can often get in with a little wait without the pre-booked free tickets (which seem to book a long way in advance), but it's not guaranteed and at busy times they may tell you to come back and try again a few hours later if you haven't booked. The good thing is that un-ticketed, you can stay as long as you like (unless they have an event). It has reflections as well, but they're less tricky than the Shard's (depending on time of day/light).

Plenty of tall buildings in the City and elsewhere also have fab views (friends who work in office towers blocks in handy), particularly the roof terrace bars, too many to list but there are plenty of listings online and on a warm summer's eve, most don't mind you taking a few shots if you consume a cocktail or three. Hyde Park Hilton's bar and resto also has lovely view, ditto places like Duck and Waffle ...but they all come with a hefty price tag of drinks/meal. 

Have a great day in London on Saturday.  BTW. Trooping the Colour, EID Festival Trafalgar Square and the Naked Bike Ride are all on (and more)! 🙂

PS. Re London Eye - on a Saturday the queues are very long. Also, whichever time you go, if it's a sunny day, you'll be shooting directly into the sun on either the left or right side. And your fellow passengers can be a pain, many tourists are ruthless when it comes to sticking their selfie sticks absolutely everywhere and not moving an inch. 

Thanks so much for your detailed tips. I could sit down at the Shard window and used my dark sweater for glare. Covered most of the landmarks in an exhausting day. Now on to the rest of England for the next two weeks.  Cheers

On 09/06/2019 at 09:06, Reimar said:

Thanks so much for your detailed tips. I could sit down at the Shard window and used my dark sweater for glare. Covered most of the landmarks in an exhausting day. Now on to the rest of England for the next two weeks.  Cheers

Wow. Must be a busy holiday. You’ll have to have a separate one to cover Scotland 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sally said:

Wow. Must be a busy holiday. You’ll have to have a separate one to cover Scotland 😉

That was my first thought, but my second, unworthy, thought was: we don't need the competition.

Stay in England!

On 09/06/2019 at 09:06, Reimar said:

Glad you enjoyed it!

On 06/06/2019 at 22:17, imageplotter said:

The Sky Garden is lovely, if you're just one person you can often get in with a little wait without the pre-booked free tickets (which seem to book a long way in advance), but it's not guaranteed and at busy times they may tell you to come back and try again a few hours later if you haven't booked. The good thing is tht un-ticketed, you can stay as long as you like (unless they have an event). It has reflections as well, but they're less tricky than the Shard's (depending on time of day/light).

Only been once, walked past the queues, flashed my press card and up I went. Bloody press people.

On 11/06/2019 at 03:29, Sally said:

On 11/06/2019 at 07:24, Cryptoprocta said:

That was my first thought, but my second, unworthy, thought was: we don't need the competition.

Stay in England!

Too late.  I was in Scotland last year in June.

I just got back now, and yes I'm exhausted.  Now I've got about 4 months of work to do.

• Love 1