Second Camera

As a relative newcomer to stock photography, I have been using my DSLR (Nikon D700) all the time but there are occasions when I could perhaps do with a smaller, less cumbersome camera to use. With such a choice out there can I ask what other contributors use knowing that the images will satisfy QC? Apologies if it has been asked before too recently.

Just now, davidd said:

As a relative newcomer to stock photography, I have been using my DSLR (Nikon D700) all the time but there are occasions when I could perhaps do with a smaller, less cumbersome camera to use. With such a choice out there can I ask what other contributors use knowing that the images will satisfy QC? Apologies if it has been asked before too recently.

Try the excellent Sony RX100 series. Plenty of threads about it in this forum. I've got the Mk3 and love it.

Mark

For me the Fujifilm X100 was a game changer back in the day. It really reinvigorated my love of photography with it's analog controls and it's fixed focal length lens (35mm Full Frame equivalent) the ideal focal length IMHO. As a plus NOBODY thinks your a professional photographer when you use this camera. The image quality is more than enough to Alamy QC. I would suggest you try out the new Fujifilm X100F if you can.

Hope this helps,

David

Another vote for the X100 so long as you don't mind the fixed lens (and I absolutely don't, I always used 35mm on my film rangefinder). Try the X100F by all means but if you just want to see how you get on then the original X100 is very cheap these days. The lens is great but the batteries don't last very long, they're quite small, you need backups. The oem Fuji battery is much better than the alternatives, but much more expensive also.

I vote for the Sony RX100. I have the Mark 3 too. Small so fits in a pocket. Inconspicuous. Flip screen so you can shoot from the hip easily so make you even less conspicuous. If I am doing "street" type photography, I use the RX100 90% of the time in preference to my Nikon DSLR (the Nikon is still normally hung at my side half of the time even so). My RX100 also goes to work with me in my laptop bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived