Are There Benefits to Having Multiple Pseudonyms?

There are probably a few of you out there using muliple aliases/pseudonyms here on Alamy to sell your images.

One  possible reason could be the type of images, someone might keep a seperate portfolio for wildlife, architecture, portrait and/or travel-images.

Another possible reason could be that (either through bad tagging, the amount of competion and/or very generic searches that don't result in zooms) you click through rate (CTR) remains low, so you want to start over afresh, with a new account that only features the best of the best in popular categories where your images will automatically stand out.

Obviously starting all over again with a new pseudonym - and lots of useful experience under your belt - will take a lot of time & patience. And even then you simply might not have the sort of material to pull it off successfully second time round.

Anyone having any thoughts on this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerbosma/

Each pseudonym has its own rank so theoretically you can use that to your benefit. For example put your "most saleable" images in one pseudonym, and images that "are less saleable but might sell if a buyer was specifically looking for it" in another. The rank of the first pseudonym will then not be hurt by the less saleable images showing up in search results. Of course, there is no way really to know what images will sell so in the end it might not matter.

Guest dlmphotog

I use multiple pseudonyms to separate my stock into geographical locations and subject matter. I do use my name in all my pseudonyms and then add on a short word or code. Such as “David L. Moore – Japan” or “David L. Moore – Studio”. I would not want to guess what images will be salable as I am always amazed at what sells.

Each pseudonym has its own rank so theoretically you can use that to your benefit. For example put your "most saleable" images in one pseudonym, and images that "are less saleable but might sell if a buyer was specifically looking for it" in another. The rank of the first pseudonym will then not be hurt by the less saleable images showing up in search results. Of course, there is no way really to know what images will sell so in the end it might not matter.

Yes, that could be an option. have one pseudonym with only a  few high quality salable images mainly set up to garner as high a CTR as possible and another for the  bulk of your images. In case you feel that those images aren't picked up most of the time when searched, but do generate frequent search results, you could decide adding some of those to the high CTR-pseudonym and improving your odds that way.

I use multiple pseudonyms to separate my stock into geographical locations and subject matter. I do use my name in all my pseudonyms and then add on a short word or code. Such as “David L. Moore – Japan” or “David L. Moore – Studio”. I would not want to guess what images will be salable as I am always amazed at what sells.

Sounds like a good idead, David. Are the CTR-ratings of those pseudonyms similar? I could imagine that when you shoot generic images, but ones that might be very salable, you would also consider uploading them to the one with the highest CTR?

Anyone else maybe have experience shutting down one account and starting afresh with the main focus being to get as high a CTR as possible first and then strategically adding more images?

I have four different pseudos, according to subject matter, with very different Alamyrank ratings. I find that subjects with a lot of competition on Alamy, like travel, understandably get a lot of views but few zooms. My other subjects, however, which face a lot less competition, have a much better CTR, better sales and therefore a better rank. 

Deciding how to split your work up really depends on whether you see lumping all your subjects together as pulling up the rank of your less popular images or dragging down the most successful. 

I wanted to create a new pseudo so that I could include my name but didn't want to lose the high rank that my main pseudo had. So I created a new pseudo with just a few images then added any images that received zooms in measures.  After several months the new pseudo had a few sales, quite a lot for the number of images, so it eventually jumped up to page one in the ranking.  I was then able to transfer images into it which I am doing gradually.

Pearl

I wanted to create a new pseudo so that I could include my name but didn't want to lose the high rank that my main pseudo had. So I created a new pseudo with just a few images then added any images that received zooms in measures.  After several months the new pseudo had a few sales, quite a lot for the number of images, so it eventually jumped up to page one in the ranking.  I was then able to transfer images into it which I am doing gradually.

Pearl

Thanks for your input, Pearl

That's the sort of option I'm considering as well. The type of queries that are very frequent and often lead to sales are the ones you want to do well in, meaning a high CTR is important, particularly when there is a lot of similar content.

As mentioned before elsewhere, I try to broaden and diversify my wildlife-portfolio as much as possible, meaning I have over 250 different species of fauna already on alamy. Some of those are clearly niche markets, only/mainly my own images showing up in a query.

In such cases clearly CTR has become more or less irrelevant, buyers will always find my images and hopefully want to buy them But many of these will not be sought after much probably, is a safe bet (-;

I'm therefore considering creating another pseudonym that is specifiically targeted to certain areas that hold the best prospects for clicks and sales (I do architecture, landscapes and travel images as well) and then strategically add some of my best images in other categories to profit from the much higher CTR the new pseudonym has than my main/bulk-account.

I am working on a Pseudo specialized on sheeps looking at the left direction ;). Lets see how deep i fall.

Was thinking along the same lines, Mirco, I'll do the right facing sheep :P

Guest dlmphotog

Yes, that could be an option. have one pseudonym with only a  few high quality salable images mainly set up to garner as high a CTR as possible and another for the  bulk of your images. In case you feel that those images aren't picked up most of the time when searched, but do generate frequent search results, you could decide adding some of those to the high CTR-pseudonym and improving your odds that way.

>I use multiple pseudonyms to separate my stock into geographical locations and subject matter. I do use my name in all my pseudonyms and then add on a short word or code. Such as “David L. Moore – Japan” or “David L. Moore – Studio”. I would not want to guess what images will be salable as I am always amazed at what sells.

Sounds like a good idead, David. Are the CTR-ratings of those pseudonyms similar? I could imagine that when you shoot generic images, but ones that might be very salable, you would also consider uploading them to the one with the highest CTR?

Anyone else maybe have experience shutting down one account and starting afresh with the main focus being to get as high a CTR as possible first and then strategically adding more images?

I have a total of 24 pseudonyms with the best Year-to-date pseudonym CTR of 1.60 (81 images - no sales), worst CTR of 0.0 (65 images- no sales). What I think of my most salable pseudonym containing all model released people has a CRT of 0.53 (1441 images – 7 sales). I check my pseudonyms for search terms that may be misleading or missing so I can change my keywords for better search results = better CRT.

I'm thinking of creating a pseudo for shots of sheep's rear ends. But I do have a serious -- if a bit off-topic -- question.  Does anyone know if  it is possible to change the name of an existing pseudonym without having to remove the images, delete the pseudo, and then start all over again? There doesn't seem to be a way of changing pseudo names in "Manage Your Images."

I'm thinking of creating a pseudo for shots of sheep's rear ends. But I do have a serious -- if a bit off-topic -- question.  Does anyone know if  it is possible to change the name of an existing pseudonym without having to remove the images, delete the pseudo, and then start all over again? There doesn't seem to be a way of changing pseudo names in "Manage Your Images."

I'm pretty sure there isn't. I think I looked into this a while ago.

Long before that, however, I got a call from Alamy asking me to change my pseudo (I only had one back then) as it had a  .com at the end, and that was against the rules. I told them what I wanted it changed to and they did it for me. That, however, was no doubt an exception and I doubt they'll start doing it on demand, (especially if it's to a pun on the rear ends of sheep).

Does anyone know if  it is possible to change the name of an existing pseudonym without having to remove the images, delete the pseudo, and then start all over again? There doesn't seem to be a way of changing pseudo names in "Manage Your Images."

That's exactly what I'd like to do............

Does anyone know if  it is possible to change the name of an existing pseudonym without having to remove the images, delete the pseudo, and then start all over again? There doesn't seem to be a way of changing pseudo names in "Manage Your Images."

Go to "Manage Images v2.4"

>> click on "Defaults and Pseudonyms"

>> add a new pseudonym

>> select the images you want to give a new pseudonym (drag to to the bottom of the page to edit them as a batch)

>> go straight to "Attributes"

>> click on "Pseudonym" and select the new one

>> click on "Save all Changes"

......... et voilà, the pseudonym has changed and all other data is still intact.

Cheers,

Philippe

Except for your rank and the history.

(I foolishly changed wim wiskerke into Wim Wiskerke once, thinking nothing would change.)

wim

Go to "Manage Images v2.4"

>> click on "Defaults and Pseudonyms"

>> add a new pseudonym

>> select the images you want to give a new pseudonym (drag to to the bottom of the page to edit them as a batch)

>> go straight to "Attributes"

>> click on "Pseudonym" and select the new one

>> click on "Save all Changes"

......... et voilà, the pseudonym has changed and all other data is still intact.

Cheers,

Philippe

Merci bien, monsieur. This process occurred to me. However, I would in effect be creating a new pseudo, not editing the name of the existing one, which I guess isn't really a problem because the one that I want to change is relatively new and isn't doing very well.

Not sure why, but when I joined Alamy I called myself "Susan", the name on my birth certificate but I've always been known as "Sue".  Even on my driving licence and (now expired) passport I'm Sue.  So, I'd like to alter my one and only pseudonym without losing my ranking.  I don't have enough images up to merit multiple pseudonyms and I'd rather spend my time trying to submit more images.  But I guess I'll have to remain as Susan.........

I've only just recently created a pseudonym, mainly for images that are not doing well or that don't seem to fit into my main collection. It's a bit early to judge whether or not this move has improved the CTR of my main collection, although it consistently remains above the Alamy average. One thing I do notice, though, is because the new pseudo has not had any zooms yet (CTR = 0), my "Average CTR" is half of my "Total CTR." I don't know if this adversely affects overall Alamy rank. If it does, then wouldn't having multiple badly performing pseudonyms make matters even worse?

I've only just recently created a pseudonym, mainly for images that are not doing well or that don't seem to fit into my main collection. It's a bit early to judge whether or not this move has improved the CTR of my main collection, although it consistently remains above the Alamy average. One thing I do notice, though, is because the new pseudo has not had any zooms yet (CTR = 0), my "Average CTR" is half of my "Total CTR." I don't know if this adversely affects overall Alamy rank. If it does, then wouldn't having multiple badly performing pseudonyms make matters even worse?

Yes, that seems to make using multiple pseudonyms pretty self-defeating in your case, the successful one being dragged down by the new one that has few or no sales yet.

The higher CTR one would probably still show up higher up in searches. You could consider liquidating the least successful one at some point? (But maybe the intereconnectedness of the CTR-ratings is not as clear-cut as this)

In my case creating a new pseudonym (and potentially one with a better CTR) could in turn also boost the other one? Still lots of questions to ponder....

Yes, that seems to make using multiple pseudonyms pretty self-defeating in your case, the successful one being dragged down by the new one that has few or no sales yet.

The higher CTR one would probably still show up higher up in searches. You could consider liquidating the least successful one at some point? (But maybe the intereconnectedness of the CTR-ratings is not as clear-cut as this)

In my case creating a new pseudonym (and potentially one with a better CTR) could in turn also boost the other one? Still lots of questions to ponder....

Yes, I'm now thinking of putting everything back into my main collection and deleting the pseudonym. Guess I'll wait awhile, though, to see if things improve. It would be helpful to know if "Average CTR" is used to calculate overall rank. Have to admit, I find all this stuff to be very confusing.

Archived