Uncleared sales from July?

Has anyone else got an uncleared travel brochure sale from 6th July? 

Usage: Direct mail and brochures
Media: Travel brochures
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Print run: up to 250,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: Full area
Start: 06 July 2018
End: 06 July 2019
PDF and electronic version rights included

Is this about what your oldest uncleared sales are?

For me none on July 6th.

But from before July that I have these 7:

21/12/2017

28/2/2018
30/4/2018
3/5/2018
18/6/2018
27/6/2018

All are direct sales; no distributors.

There is a pattern: the three lowest under $10 are all from India.

Two are educational; same description, but 7 months apart. Including the one from 2017.

These delays are now quite rare, but before not uncommon, so I am not worried at all.

Besides, everything will improve after Brexit, no? LOL!

wim

Yes, that's our oldest uncleared sale. Looking at yours I guess I just need to wait......

As ours was a travel brochure I wondered if they had bought multiple images and not yet paid for any of them!

I have 6 uncleared sales from 2017

27-02-2017  UK Newspaper 2 Million print run

31-10-2017  Worldwide Editorial website (4 images purchased for same use)

22-12-2017  UK Newspaper 2 Million print run

My uncleared sales from 2018 are all after 30th July, so not stressing about those yet.

Parm:blink:

On 11/28/2018 at 18:41, spacecadet said:

What's the Dutch for tongue in cheek? I hope it's something suitably blunt.

We do recognize the concept; even try practicing it occasionally, but you're right: our savage Hun/Vandal/Wild European Native minds actually never came up with something that subtle so we use your sophisticated tongue in cheek.

Like vice versa you use the word Schadenfreude. ;-)

wim

(from a pretty cold Berlin)

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

No.

wim

edit: and so what?

And so Alamy should be more proactive in following up unpaid fees and keeping the artist informed about what's going on.

I know of (happened to someone else) at least one instance in which after the artist had persisted with Alamy about an unpaid 'sale' that Alamy said they were unable to extract payment from the 'buyer'.

Alamy should be chasing up unpaid sales much earlier, so that they can block a buyer from future purchases at an earlier date in the event of this sort of thing happening.

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

And so Alamy should be more proactive in following up unpaid fees and keeping the artist informed about what's going on.

I know of (happened to someone else) at least one instance in which after the artist had persisted with Alamy about an unpaid 'sale' that Alamy said they were unable to extract payment from the 'buyer'.

Alamy should be chasing up unpaid sales much earlier, so that they can block a buyer from future purchases at an earlier date in the event of this sort of thing happening.

They might be a bit more proactive in this area if they HAD to pay the photographer regardless of whether they got paid - but we all know that isn't going to happen

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I know of one instance also: the failed Brazilian distributor. But that was some years ago. I think I lost 3 licenses that way.

As a follow up to my earlier post:

On 11/26/2018 at 15:37, wiskerke said:

21/12/2017

28/2/2018
30/4/2018
3/5/2018
18/6/2018
27/6/2018

The total was 226.64 gross btw.

Two have been cleared, and will be paid on Jan 1st:

Cleared            of invoice    Paid

13/12/2018    28/2/2018   -          from India

17/12/2018    3/5/2018     -          Magazine Worldwide

Except the list above, my earliest uncleared sale is now 13/8/2018, again educational and all the same fee. So probably the same client who is pretty big. Like huge. They have lengthy processes making books and programs and have equally long processes paying. They're like a certain reptile from the Mesozoic. That however still pays our bills and therefore should not be chased away. Although the fees have fallen over the years and even have been absent for a while.

wim

59 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

They might be a bit more proactive in this area if they HAD to pay the photographer regardless of whether they got paid - but we all know that isn't going to happen

In that scenario, sales wouldn't be reported until they'd been paid by the customer.

1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

In that scenario, sales wouldn't be reported until they'd been paid by the customer.

Which would result in a lot of reports of unauthorised use as people spotted their work before it was paid for.
I do appreciate where the selling and payment model at Alamy comes from and how it originated - but technology has advanced enough to stop some of the worst abuses I think.

9 hours ago, Pietrach said:

Have you contacted Alamy? If I dont get paid in 6mths i report this to alamy and this often helps.

Yes thanks, I did report this to Alamy 7 weeks ago and yet six of my 2017 sales still remain uncleared and of course the worst offender as usual is the right wing tightwad "Daily Mail", they still have my image of the Pimlico Plumbers Van on the online edition. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3456022/Tory-backing-plumbing-firm-rich-famous-avoided-paying-tax-used-case-Stringfellow-s-lapdancer-defence-employment-tribunal.html

It's just frustrating when you haven't had an alamy payout this month whilst my balance carried forward (uncleared sales) is $650.71 , and only $32.51 cleared.

Parm

1 hour ago, Bhandol said:

Yes thanks, I did report this to Alamy 7 weeks ago and yet six of my 2017 sales still remain uncleared and of course the worst offender as usual is the *** "Daily Mail", they still have my image of the Pimlico Plumbers Van on the online edition. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3456022/Tory-backing-plumbing-firm-rich-famous-avoided-paying-tax-used-case-Stringfellow-s-lapdancer-defence-employment-tribunal.html

It's just frustrating when you haven't had an alamy payout this month whilst my balance carried forward (uncleared sales) is $650.71 , and only $32.51 cleared.

Parm

Parm, while I feel and understand your frustration and opinions, it really doesn't pay to insult Alamy's clients here. ;) :)

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Incidently, how can you see uncleared funds as the sales accounts requires you to have a degree in gobbldeygook to understand it ? Seriously confusing.

It says at the top of the screen. 

x = uncleared

o = cleared

Simples.

8 hours ago, Marb said:

Incidently, how can you see uncleared funds as the sales accounts requires you to have a degree in gobbldeygook to understand it ? Seriously confusing.

In your Net revenue sales report, under Date it gives the date for Cleared  - of invoice - Paid.

And those are just that: the dates of when the sum was cleared; when the sale was invoiced and when the sum has been paid to you.

Followed by some, but not all of the specifics of the sale. If you download the .csv file by clicking the download button, you'll see the license details as well. Unless you only sell RF of course.

Why the form has not been designed in chronological order: Invoice - Cleared - Paid, is beyond me. Maybe it's a bookkeepers thing.

(You have to be logged in for the link to work)

wim

On 21/12/2018 at 15:59, Cryptoprocta said:
On 21/12/2018 at 15:00, Starsphinx said:

No agent would subject itself to a contract committing it to pay funds it hadn't received.

It's always been Alamy's pilocy, unlike other agents, to be up-front about reporting licences- and refunds- promptly. That's why we get told about refunds and have the opportunity to complain about them. Elsewhere, so I understand, you'd never know about a licence at all until it was paid.

Archived