Keywording-before or after you submit?

Do you do your keywording after they have passed QC? I saw where one member does that.

I keyword before I submit them to Alamy, so it is permanently imbedded with the picture in case I use it somewhere else.

Is there a reason why I would want to keyword after they pass QC?

Always after they get through QC.

I feel I hurry too much if doing it beforehand and may miss something out just to get them loaded whereas if I do it afterwards I keyword when I have free time set aside for it.

After QC you have to put in the essentials and the other details like number of people anyway so I would feel as if I've worked on them twice.

Previously I keyworded after they passed QC, but that was before I even realized I could do it in CS6 ahead of time.

Now I can do a few images (with keywording) and then start the upload.  While those are uploading, I can process the rest of the images and then add them to the upload at he end.  Then all the keywording will be done for me and I will just have to fill in all the simple stuff, as keywording is the hardest part.

A variety of answers. I just loaded a lot of pictures because I will be traveling and no time for loading, but will be able to take a leisurely time keywording and caption. I really notice that when I am in a rush to get as many pics loaded as possible, I do as hurried a job on kwording as possible. So Ill get a chance to try kwrding after, at a leisurely pace, and see if I like that better.

That is why I asked.

This is off-topic, but you (alaskadude) might want to check out some of the forum discussions about the problems associated with uploading too many similars. It can lower your CTR and thereby have a negative effect on sales. Self-editing can really pay off.

Happy trails.

-John M

This is off-topic, but you (alaskadude) might want to check out some of the forum discussions about the problems associated with uploading too many similars. It can lower your CTR and thereby have a negative effect on sales. Self-editing can really pay off.

Happy trails.

-John M

John ....  i think something went wrong during uploading from Alaskadude. I can not imagine this is in purpose...... i hope so.

Alaskadude i would really follow Johns advice. This will be bad for sales but also Alamy will not be happy to see that i guess ;).

Guest dlmphotog

My workflow has me entering the metadata for the images before I process them into JPEG this way the keywords and description stay with my RAW images. Having keywords and description for images only at Alamy makes no sense, what about the originals on your computer?

The RUSH to get images uploaded is detrimental as I find myself not tweaking images as much as I could.

Quaintly vs quality…  

I keyword before...then a few days later after they get accepted, I review my keywords and usually end up making changes and adding keywords :)

I must say I do the same. I usually do this when waiting for QC.....

Ditto...then adjust as appropriate further on down the line, depending on results (or lack of) kicked up by 'Your Images'

After QC.

+1 (keywords can always be copied from one image to another in MI if necessary)  Also keywords can be found in Alamy spreadsheet download.

Allan

Happy trails.

-John M

John ....  i think something went wrong during uploading from Alaskadude. I can not imagine this is in purpose...... i hope so.

Alaskadude i would really follow Johns advice. This will be bad for sales but also Alamy will not be happy to see that i guess ;).

You must be correct. Something probably went wrong with the uploads. Some of alaskadude's images appear to be identical.

Yes, I have too many duplicates. I will try to figure out how to delete some.

I just got too excited at the 'Alamy Experience' and wanted to get some on line. I wanted to see a big number there.

Ill delete quite a few. It was kind of a mistake--maybe Ill just put it under the "Part of the learning experience", delete them, and continue foreward.

I just loaded up a 1000 different images. They dont contain similars. It has been a big job  organizing them and loading them. I havnt keyworded or captioned them, and will do a slow careful job of doing that work.

I'm surprised that Alamy let you upload so many duplicates and similars. I would get rid of them if I were you. You can do it quite easily using "Manage Your Images." However, it will take a few months for them to disappear. Member services might do the deleting for you more quickly if you e-mail them. Big numbers don't necessarily mean big sales. Good luck.

Archived