35k images on hard drive

Hello Folks :),

I am curious about your opinion and need please your help here.

I have at the moment around 35k images offline and want to get them up on Alamy. In the meantime i have 9k online that are not optimal tagged. I know it can be done much better with aligning to Alamy needs. 

Would you first concentrate to "correct" those 9k to improve the CTR or should i more be fixed to get those 35K online to note loose potential sales?

Thank you already for your opinion.

Mirco

As many of other forum members have said, trying to get to the green line isn't important as, invariably, one will use tags which can be irrelevant.  I'd concentrate on increasing my port, but that's just me.

7 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

As many of other forum members have said, trying to get to the green line isn't important as, invariably, one will use tags which can be irrelevant.  I'd concentrate on increasing my port, but that's just me.

Thank you. I know what you mean. I am not talking about the green color. Those 9k are really not well tagged. I learned much from the past and i just know i can do it much better. They have no super tags for example or are "only" 8 keywords for example in many cases. Just hasty done. 

Thanks for your part. I assume you would go for the 35k ;).

Don't worry about "aligning to Alamy's needs" - too many tags is very likely to hit your CTR, Alamy themselves have only 16 tags on their sample images in their AIM how-to video.

Also - no matter what they say, the 'diversity' algorithm trumps most (all?) other factors in the search. If you don't believe me, try searching leopard on road - some of that is down to spamming (things seen on a 'snow leopard expedition'), but some isn't, so you get leopard tortoises, leopard frogs and a woman in a leopard patterned top above actual leopards. Any word from the caption or keywords can be matched with any other word from either, and keyword phrases are split.

So I agree with Colblimp: upload your new images first. If you still feel some of your existing port needs fixing, you could do that as a 'break' from uploading.

35 minutes ago, MircoV said:

Hello Folks :),

I am curious about your opinion and need please your help here.

I have at the moment around 35k images offline and want to get them up on Alamy. In the meantime i have 9k online that are not optimal tagged. I know it can be done much better with aligning to Alamy needs. 

Would you first concentrate to "correct" those 9k to improve the CTR or should i more be fixed to get those 35K online to note loose potential sales?

Thank you already for your opinion.

Mirco

To be honest, I think that the best person to answer this is you!  Are you more Greenberg or Wiskerke?  Wim has a very streamlined port and makes far more sales than many with a port of similar size - but he does that with an awful lot of in-depth research and analysis, tight editing and careful captioning and tagging. Jeff seems to concentrate more on bulk - non-stop uploading, while ensuring that a majority of his images contain human interest (it's been said before: ordinary people doing everyday things).

This has more to do with you and your mindset and what you feel that you are able to achieve.  I know that you've changed your relationship with Alamy before - uploading a lot of images, then removing nearly all of them, before returning again.  So what's the plan now?  I'm probably not the best person to give advice, but (:lol:) in your position, I'd upload the best from your reserves on a regular basis - keywording carefully as you go - while optimising what's already here slowly and steadily - upload by upload.

Good luck!

I have to say I would advocate the opposite approach to my colleagues. Sorting out 9000 images is back-breaking enough. Doing the same task on 35K plus is next to impossible. I would want to make sure I had clearly set out my ground rules for uploading first. In the case of your portfolio I would be looking to reduce some of the duplication and tighten up keywording. I would also be making sure all images with recognisable property were either RM or RF with Editorial Only ticked - you can't leave them as RF. If you don't get all these things right at the beginning than your CTR and ranking take a dive and subsequent uploadings are harmed because of the rank of your early work. Build a strong foundation and then go for the quantity. 

I assume you feel your current images are all as good as the best ones on your hard drive. If that is true I would go through those 35K images with a serious view to culling all but the very best images, and aim to upload those "best of the best". Then get all your images keyworded properly before looking to upload any more. 

Kumar

Personally i would always go for quantity provided they are varied subjects without similars but in the current climate of decreasing values is it really worth it.

35000 files at say 30 per hour for uploading(assume have been prepped) keywording etc = 1200 hrs at say £10 per hr (min wage) = a cost of £12000 to get them infront of a potential buyer so have to sell £24000 worth at 50% commission to reach break even.

Work out how much sold from existing portfolio and extrapolate to when you will start to get any return from them then decide! That is if you put a value on your time

Regen

1 hour ago, KODAKovic said:

it's impossible to predict which are our "best" images guys.

images that sell is something different, remember Wim spotted a long post some months ago on how to do it based on AoA

I would argue it is far from impossible to predict which are our 'best' images. This is in no way a comment on the portfolio of the OP, but at the end, the difference is between the output of someone who is a photographer and someone who simply owns a good camera.

Archived