Do sport news sell (via Alamy)

I am asking as I am recently getting into sports photography, and having few live news images (non-sports related) sold recently I thought I could join these two and start uploading some live news sports images.

However, i have never seen an Alamy sport news image printed/published anywhere. It is all... Well... Other agencies ;) Have you ever managed to sell a live news sport image via Alamy?

Thanks.

I've had some success with London Marathon images as live news, but those were in the forward pages rather than the back pages. Having failed to have any news images published from other sporting events I've attended they have subsequently sold as stock, and a couple for very tidy amounts at that, so it's worth doing if you're not putting yourself out too much and the cost is minimal.

Hi Pietrach

Live news sports images are very difficult to sell - you have to be able to get them in front of editors in an instant, perfectly edited and captioned. The big photo agencies have a lot of it sewn up, and it's difficult to break into.

I have been covering the tennis at Eastbourne for four years - this year I had my first live news sales (mostly because Andy Murray turned up). I have had small stock sales later but nothing in the news before.

I was up  against a lot of full-time sports photographers and was amazed that I got into the Times and the Sun.

I am certainly not a sports photographer for 51 weeks of the year, but it seems if you get the right pics well captioned and uploaded VERY quickly, it is possible.

I'm hoping Andy turns up next year too.

On 8/27/2018 at 21:21, funkyworm said:

If, as does happen every now and then, I am at an event and there is particular UK interest (winners/UK politicians attending) which I am pretty sure my local colleagues haven't got or aren't bothered with then I'll ping an email to the news desk to tell them that they may want to prioritise those shots.

I've had five sales from the tennis so far - all British players!

On 8/27/2018 at 13:42, John Mitchell said:

I keep looking, but I've never seen an Alamy photo of any kind in a Canadian newspaper.

I have run into a couple in the Toronto Star, but they are Alamy's distributor in Canada, so that may make a difference. And not live news, just stock.

Jill

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have run into a couple in the Toronto Star, but they are Alamy's distributor in Canada, so that may make a difference. And not live news, just stock.

Jill

That's good to hear. Think I know what that distributor would be. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Archived