Anyone else have as much success as I did photographing the lunar eclipse in the UK (zero)? :( Always good to know that you can rely on the good old British weather to provide extensive cloud cover - even in our longest, hottest summer since 1976! ;)

Ah well, I am sure that others have done better. Looking forward to seeing your results. :)

UK weather is only perfect when there's no reason for it. Any other time then it reverts to type. These over the last three weeks of supposed heatwave:

PAN3A3.jpg

PAGFX5.jpg

P8TNWR.jpg

The RAF100 flypast at this event was cancelled due to weather. Some people wouldn't believe you if you told them!

7 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Bad luck, eh? I had Windsor castle set up as a background. Ah, well! Some quality pictures up on Live News now from all over the rest of Europe. 

Did you ask Her Majesty's permission, Danny? I'm not sure that she controls the weather as PM Margaret did, but it could be. 

Moon pics are an invitation to do bad PhotoShopping, it seems. 

57 minutes ago, Avpics said:

The RAF100 flypast at this event was cancelled due to weather. Some people wouldn't believe you if you told them!

Heh heh… I saw the RAF here in the USA for their flyover. It was also canceled due to weather (and I got a cold whilst waiting!)

7 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Absolutely nothing here whilst the eclipse was happening, then, at about 12am the clouds cleared to reveal... the normal moon. Only in Ireland, and the UK, seemingly. :lol:

Yup, I've often thought how frustrating it must be to be a keen astonomer hereabouts. Most of the big things (that get well publicised in advance) are clouded out.

Just now, Cryptoprocta said:

Yup, I've often thought how frustrating it must be to be a keen astonomer hereabouts. Most of the big things (that get well publicised in advance) are clouded out.

Agreed. That said, where I live regularly produces skies so clear, one can see a ton of stuff in the sky. It's wasted on me, I've really no interest in the stars, space etc...

Hi,

Happened here in Suffolk last night. Haven't had ANY rain at all since end of May - the weather station in the country that has had the longest spell without rain is in Suffolk and isn't that far away. I thought I might have a go at photographing the eclipse last night. What happened? Massive thunderstorm and it chucked it down. Fire service was called to a strike just down the bottom of the road. Somehow, you just knew that was going to happen.

Gary

3 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Tip van Flip. Download and play with the app Stellarium... it can really whet your appetite for things celestial. Just zoom in on saturn and then get dizzy as you realise the speed we are spinning on this marble called earth.

Absolutely no interest, or time, I'm afraid. I'm rubbish...

I did get some photos last night of the lunar eclipse/blood moon. There was some clouds so I did long exposures and time lapses while they cleared. Right now I'm wishing I hadn't sold my 300mm lens :( and also waiting for the images to finish uploading to Alamy.

1 hour ago, Matthew Johnson said:

I did get some photos last night of the lunar eclipse/blood moon. There was some clouds so I did long exposures and time lapses while they cleared. Right now I'm wishing I hadn't sold my 300mm lens :( and also waiting for the images to finish uploading to Alamy.

From Louisiana Matthew ? I didn't know it was visible in North america. Or are you elsewhere ?

I read the blog post by Alamy - I went out and carefully scouted a perfect location, I check what camera settings I should be using - then I spent the evening checking the sky and at half eight decided not to bother as the sun was invisible so no chance of seeing a blooming moon.

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

From Louisiana Matthew ? I didn't know it was visible in North america. Or are you elsewhere ?

I didn't either, until I went outside and saw It! both the moon and mars were clearly visible (and both were a nice gold-red hue)

Archived