Favourite Photos in July

Sally

4 hours ago, British Gent said:

Presumably there aren't many people in there because it's THE MIDDLE OF WINTER! (Sigh...)

You're right, we're middle of winter. Temperature has dropped to 28C here in Cairns. Hubby had a swim in the pool yesterday. A bit too cold for me. And I'm deadly serious!!

Gen

37 minutes ago, gvallee said:

You're right, we're middle of winter. Temperature has dropped to 28C here in Cairns. Hubby had a swim in the pool yesterday. A bit too cold for me. And I'm deadly serious!!

Gen

it's 28 here...summer and I am melting!!! 

4 minutes ago, MandyD said:

it's 28 here...summer and I am melting!!! 

It's a matter of what we're used to, isn't it? Although I did camp once in sub-zero temperatures, I'm inordinately sensitive to 'cold' or 'cool'. That's why I moved to the tropics.

Having said that, I also camped by 52C. We had ice cubes in a towel rolled around our necks at night.

I had a good laugh the other day. On the same day, I read headlines. BBC: heat wave in the UK: 26C. Cairns Post (my local rag): cold snap is here to stay: 29C.

43 minutes ago, gvallee said:

It's a matter of what we're used to, isn't it? Although I did camp once in sub-zero temperatures, I'm inordinately sensitive to 'cold' or 'cool'. That's why I moved to the tropics.

Having said that, I also camped by 52C. We had ice cubes in a towel rolled around our necks at night.

I had a good laugh the other day. On the same day, I read headlines. BBC: heat wave in the UK: 26C. Cairns Post (my local rag): cold snap is here to stay: 29C.

Completely....I don't even wear a winter jacket until it's -20C! Cold is -30C to -40C but I still walk to work in that....pushing it is a windchill over -60C. I was in Rome last year and it was 17C and I was in a short sleeve tshirt, while the Texans on my tour had gloves on with a scarf. One advantage, I can only really travel off season when it's not as busy and it's cheaper, or I would really suffer in the heat. And we have a good chuckle at the Americans up here with their winter storms...we call those Tuesdays. It's all relative.

Fascinating! My sister lived in Calgary a few years ago and would watch the locals ice skating on a lake from her kitchen window, while keeping her own kids on lock down for fear of them freezing to death if they stepped outside.

On 05/07/2018 at 21:02, wiskerke said:

Oh my! Was that on OTT?

Do you have pictures? Not that it will recoup the Nissan.

wim

edit: OTT, where it says on the map dangerous crossing - not recommended?

Here you are Wim, I have uploaded some pix of my trip to Cape York and my bogged car on the OTT here.

The corrugated road is the PDR (Peninsula Development Road) which had been graded two weeks before for the re-opening of the season.

The muddy one is a super rotten secondary road to Chilli Beach, a highlight of Cape York.

I have included your name in the tags to group them, let me know when you've seen the pix and I'll delete it.

Enjoy!

Gen

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Here you are Wim, I have uploaded some pix of my trip to Cape York and my bogged car on the OTT here.

The corrugated road is the PDR (Peninsula Development Road) which had been graded two weeks before for the re-opening of the season.

The muddy one is a super rotten secondary road to Chilli Beach, a highlight of Cape York.

I have included your name in the tags to group them, let me know when you've seen the pix and I'll delete it.

Enjoy!

Gen

Whoa!

Thank you for showing!

Never been north of Daintree. After seeing these, I say: yet! Not sure MOH would be as enthusiastic about it though.

Great roads and adventures! The odd misadventure will get you many free beers I'm sure.

It looks that on Youtube and Google there are lots of cars including Patrols doing Scrubby Creek in higher water. What went wrong?

I have zero experience in anything higher than the axles so I have no idea what I'm looking at. And going OR in Australia, I never did the driving. Driving a tiny 2WD Mira through the Crampians don't count.  The Mira was lower than the door handles of the real cars (all 4x4's).

Keeping camera equipment dry is always a problem. I do have a big Pelican case and a watertight rolltop bag, but in my dinghy I use neither: far too inconvenient. Even the bag is too stiff and the opening too narrow. So I just use my regular bag and a shopping bag in case of spray or rain.

So how did this trip end for you? Will the Patrol be repaired or is it really totaled?

wim

On 10/07/2018 at 21:17, wiskerke said:

Whoa!

Thank you for showing!

Never been north of Daintree. After seeing these, I say: yet! Not sure MOH would be as enthusiastic about it though.

Great roads and adventures! The odd misadventure will get you many free beers I'm sure.

It looks that on Youtube and Google there are lots of cars including Patrols doing Scrubby Creek in higher water. What went wrong?

I have zero experience in anything higher than the axles so I have no idea what I'm looking at. And going OR in Australia, I never did the driving. Driving a tiny 2WD Mira through the Crampians don't count.  The Mira was lower than the door handles of the real cars (all 4x4's).

Keeping camera equipment dry is always a problem. I do have a big Pelican case and a watertight rolltop bag, but in my dinghy I use neither: far too inconvenient. Even the bag is too stiff and the opening too narrow. So I just use my regular bag and a shopping bag in case of spray or rain.

So how did this trip end for you? Will the Patrol be repaired or is it really totaled?

wim

OTT is a lot of fun and Cape York is breathtaking. Lots of wilderness, camping on beaches, great adventure spirit on the tracks. If you go, just make sure it's not school holidays! It's a very popular destination for OR fun. At the moment, the PDR is tarmac on and off for 1,000km but there are plans to seal it totally. What a shame! Cape York will be awash with tourists. You also have to go early in the season, corrugation gets horrendous the longer you go after grading.

We're still not sure what happened. We were in low 4x4 setting, lowest gear. I have the feeling that we needed the differentials engaged because of the depth of mud. I had done a recce on foot. Middle and left were waist high. So I don't know. 

After we were towed out, we kept going to a bush camp where we dried everything, had a bottle of wine to recover. It's only the next day that we got a transmission fault warning and realised the car was in limp mode. So we limped to a small town where we put the car on a vessel. I only have iPad pix of it being lifted. Quite a sight! 3 days at sea then back to Cairns.

The insurance company assessor said it was a write off. We'll get market value which is amazing. We had the car for only 6 months. So not much money lost. Roll on the next adventure!!

Gen

On 7/8/2018 at 14:13, British Gent said:

Fascinating! My sister lived in Calgary a few years ago and would watch the locals ice skating on a lake from her kitchen window, while keeping her own kids on lock down for fear of them freezing to death if they stepped outside.

it's really mild here! I grew up in Saskatchewan, now that is cold!

3 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Self supporting flag.

p8fa2d.jpg

Escaped from here

p8fa1e.jpg

Interesting concept! Maybe give the English flag and the UK flag the same treatment. ;-)

And the US one too while you're at it.

Heck why not a whole row of European flags as well.

wim

edit: now all sing along: the answer my friend..

UK Weather: Drought in Bath

Bath, England UK 17 July 2018

Tourists visiting from New Zealand hike along dry fields to see beautiful views of Bath on a mostly cloudy day. N00TK4.jpg

Archived