Backup camera body?

On 6/9/2018 at 20:16, Bill Kuta said:

Too bad you weren't able to shoot  60-year-old-caucasian-man-laughing-his-hat-off

This one is the one that got me in trouble after wading into the water.  I squatted a bit to get a different perspective.  Two seconds later the sand caved and I went “splat”.

https://tinyurl.com/y9hcy66x

On 6/9/2018 at 11:06, Roger Johansen said:

I don't travel far, but have always atleast 2 cameras with me and use them both, so I don't need to switch lenses.

Ditto.

I take my Canon 5D Mk III with 24-105mm, a 12-20mm wide angle lens in my bag, and an old 5D Mk II as backup, which i've never needed. I also take a Sony RX100 Mk II for walkabout shots.

John.

On 10/06/2018 at 17:38, Phil Robinson said:

I always carry two cameras. It saves time (and dust) changing lenses and yes, if one fails, you can use the other.

The only time I go out with only one camera is if I'm going for a walk looking for birds (and usually find insects, and wish I had brought a second) or going shopping or doing something non-photographic, when I take a single body with a 18-200 zoom, just in case.

If travelling, I take a third body (a very small, light D3200) but haven't needed it yet.

Many years ago, in the days of film, I was traveling around Europe with a single Mamiya 645 - and it jammed in Bratislava. I had to buy a second-hand body in Munich.

Same here, I always carry two cameras when I'm out, especially in the mountains etc. One with the 12-24 and the other with 24-105. I also use identical cameras as different ones tend to irritate me when the settings, buttons or functions are different :D

5 hours ago, Duncan_Andison said:

Same here, I always carry two cameras when I'm out, especially in the mountains etc. One with the 12-24 and the other with 24-105. I also use identical cameras as different ones tend to irritate me when the settings, buttons or functions are different :D

For a long time I had two slightly different camera bodies and yes, it was frustrating with different controls. I now use two the same but I do keep a spare 3200 at my parents' house and I get very confused with that if I take it out for a walk.

For my Malaga trip, from which I arrived home in the early hours of this morning :(, I took a D3, D700, 24-70, 85 1.8 and an SB900. I usually use my D3s but took the D3 this time and it performed brilliantly.

On 6/8/2018 at 16:01, John Mitchell said:

Just wondering, how many of you carry a backup camera body when travelling -- not necessarily an identical model but perhaps an earlier one that accepts the same lenses?  Today's digital cameras are very reliable IME. However, there's nothing like spending a pile of money on travel and then finding yourself in the idyllic locale of your dreams with a dead camera. :(

I don't any longer.  When I was working full time on paid assignments I always had my D3 to back up my D4.  I had multiples of everything, but, I also generally had a helper too.  I see your point though.  I would be heart broken if I just spent a bundle traveling to some great location, expecting wonderful and exciting picture opportunities, and have my camera go on strike. 

You've brought up a good point.  I may purchase a used Sony or Olympus if I ever make that grand trip.  (Not holding my breath though)  :(

Rick

I once had two Contax film bodies fail, after over 4 months bouncing around with me on a cycle trip around Portugal. The next couple of weeks cycling back South from the North were both frustrating and a relief without a camera. I now carry Canon full frame and EFS bodies, this allows back up and options for framing/cropping with TS lenses.

I once managed to pop a 5DII into my bag instead of 6D, I'm still trying to work out which Algarve beach was which for that 10 day trip, so much easier with GPS!

• 2 weeks later...

Using the Sony mirrorless system, lugging extra bodies around isn't much of a burden. They are light, tiny, and some are quite inexpensive. My last big trip, I took my Sony A7r2, A7R, and A6000. The size and weight problem I ran in to wasn't lugging three camera bodies but the lenses. I've been mostly using converted lenses from Canon EF mount, notably a bunch of high performing but overweight Sigma Art lenses. If your primary camera happens to use Canon EF lenses, you might consider a Sony and adapter as a backup.

On 6/16/2018 at 05:57, Colblimp said:

I usually use my D3s but took the D3 this time and it performed brilliantly.

I'm trying to figure out where the typo is there, Col? 

So how did you like Malaga? 

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm trying to figure out where the typo is there, Col? 

So how did you like Malaga? 

No typo, Ed, the D3s is a different camera to the D3.

Malaga was awesome!  I didn't shoot a quarter of what I wanted because I enjoyed the holiday too much, but I don't mind as I obviously needed the break.

Archived