Newbie asking about rejects

Hi Folks!

I'm a newbie to this, I'm a show me kind of gal and I'm having trouble figuring some things out.  Am I allowed to delete my rejected pictures and if so how do I do it?  I think I've figured out which ones were the cause of the rejection of the whole lot and would like to resubmit the others.  Are we allowed to resubmit them after we've worked on them?  I thought I saw somewhere on here that we could.

You may resubmit any or all of the images as you desire. However, you should use the rejection as a learning experience. Alamy only inspects a sample of the images you submit and your other images may or may not suffer from the same problem as the one which was rejected. You need to look at them all carefully and decide whether the rejection is a one-off blip affecting just that one photo, or whether there is a fundamental problem with your processing workflow which may have affected more than one image. It is important that you do all you can to get any resubmissions right because repeated rejections may lead to a suspension of uploading privileges. 

I would also suggest that you look carefully at the three images you have in your portfolio. The captions are incorrect, which is a common problem with new users as they don't realise that the image manager has selected several images at once when you think you are only entering the captions and keywords for a specific image. When you have completed the keyword entry on one image, you need to deselect it before selecting the next image to work on. Alamy Image Manager has a horrible clunky interface in this respect and many users have complained about it, but Alamy persist with it. 

Thanks Joseph.  Ironically I think I just got that changed.  I had wrote before asking how to fix that.  I got so excited about my first 3 passing QC and then quickly got aggravated with trying to fill all that in.  When I download my pictures onto my computer, I've been tagging them there.  I wish all that transferred over so I wouldn't have to go back and fill it in here.  Hopefully I will get better at all of this including my photography.

Kathy

2 hours ago, Kathy said:

Thanks Joseph.  Ironically I think I just got that changed.  I had wrote before asking how to fix that.  I got so excited about my first 3 passing QC and then quickly got aggravated with trying to fill all that in.  When I download my pictures onto my computer, I've been tagging them there.  I wish all that transferred over so I wouldn't have to go back and fill it in here.  Hopefully I will get better at all of this including my photography.

Kathy

If the editing software you are using allows you to edit the photo's metadata (and it should if you are serious about contributing to Alamy), you should be able to enter relevant information in the caption and keyword fields. This data will automatically be uploaded to Alamy Image Manager (AIM) when you upload the photo.  All you will then need to do, after passing QC, is select which tags (keywords) you want to be supertags and complete relevant information in the optional information tab. Note, even though the second tab in AIM says 'optional', it is highly desirable you should enter appropriate info in there too - indeed , I would say it is essential.

John I'll be honest and tell you I have not calibrated my monitor.  I bought an Apple last year and I'm still getting the hang of it.  Its a great computer but I'm not as quick as I used to be to catch on to things.  I knew about calibration, I just had not thought of it.

8 hours ago, Kathy said:

John I'll be honest and tell you I have not calibrated my monitor.  I bought an Apple last year and I'm still getting the hang of it.  Its a great computer but I'm not as quick as I used to be to catch on to things.  I knew about calibration, I just had not thought of it.

I use uncalibrated monitors, and, in that instance - if not generally - the histogram is your friend. I also use a laptop occasionally which has a dreadful screen, but, again, the histogram rides to the rescue.

Your tractor image is skewed way over to the left with no true white. There are occasions where you might want to have a dark or predominantly light image, but most scenes require a balanced histogram, while, from a sales point of view, it is probably better to err on the side of bright. 

Hi Kathy. We can only see three photos so far and two of them are not your normal kind of lighting. The reflection shot could be just about anything, the sea & sunset shot looks rather dark, but some might just like it like that.

Just look at the landscape including an American flag and tractor. Are you saying that looks OK on your monitor with detail in the shadows and a full set of colours in the flag? If so you have a problem! Or are you just uploading without any adjustments after you have loaded your photos from camera to computer? Incidentally, I'm looking at your photos on an imac which has only been adjusted for brightness. My only calibration method is to send a couple of images to a couple of other computers and go 'round to them and see if we have a reasonable match. Perhaps that is the lazy way of calibration, but I don't see the point of my viewing system being technically correct and the other world including clients being wrong.

Be sure to put American flag in the caption and keywords. Also USA, US, United States, United States of America. Nice image if you brighten it. That one is definitely too dark.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

send a couple of images to a couple of other computers and go 'round to them and see if we have a reasonable match.

That's called "the Alamy forum"B). You folks have helped me out with this once or twice.

Otherwise the Windows calibration gets one close.

Something else to consider:

Your dark image is 17MB.  Is that from a 6 Mp small-format camera?  Although the image may have passed QC now, the longevity of such images are at risk.  For me, that size would be too small to sell today.  By comparison, my files are 130 MB from a 46 Mp SLR camera.  It's a big difference that will likely limit sales opportunities in the future.  I'm suggesting you might need to invest in equipment - this will only help to pass QC in future.

16 hours ago, Reimar said:

Something else to consider:

Your dark image is 17MB.  Is that from a 6 Mp small-format camera?  Although the image may have passed QC now, the longevity of such images are at risk.  For me, that size would be too small to sell today.  By comparison, my files are 130 MB from a 46 Mp SLR camera.  It's a big difference that will likely limit sales opportunities in the future.  I'm suggesting you might need to invest in equipment - this will only help to pass QC in future.

I'm not sure I agree with "the longevity of such images are at risk" and "that size would be too small to sell today". I find most sales are for small images for websites, books and magazines where 17MB is way more than adequate. A4 sized cover shots are also fine at 17MB. IMHO it's relatively rare to see the user specify a size requirement when searching. If that wasn't the case why have Alamy reduced their size requirement over the years? I also frequently downsize to 17Mb if cropping, or if I have any softness concerns, so it's not always due to a low MP camera sensor, in my case it's often down to using a 14-140mm zoom lens.... But these 17MB images do sell.

But I'm open to persuasion.:)

Mark

Thanks everybody for replying.   I'm not new to photography even if it appears so, but I am still learning.  My camera is a Canon Rebel Xsi, 12 mp.   And yes I know there are cameras out there with a lot higher mp.  I'll be honest and tell you I was scared to death to do this...trying to sell on a stock site.  A couple of years ago, I joined a local photography club.  One of the first meetings I went to they had someone giving a lecture and the guy was very technical.  Believe it or not I quickly realized I understood more he was talking about than a lot of the people there.  After attending several meetings, talking with and listening to the others I felt like I was back in high school.  It was very cliquish, more like "the good ole' boys club".  I also realized the pictures I was taking were not the quality I was used to from myself.    I was letting things they said play on my mind and something that had always given me a sense of calm, didn't do so anymore.  That was another reason I held back from downloading to a stock site.

But guys, I appreciate everything ya'll said (I'm from North Carolina and the ya'll means all of you).  To me photography is an escape.  Yes I want to sell my pictures and I have sold a few before.  I don't take a lot of shots with people in them.  It seems when I have I've caught things people didn't or wouldn't want others to see.  I would love new equipment but right now I can't afford it.  Bare with me, keep giving me advice.   If I ask what you consider a stupid question remember we all have to start somewhere, we're at a lot of different levels.  To me pictures are like people, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks again and keep on shooting!

I understand about the camera club. I once joined a writer’s club and saw those kind of people. So impressed with themselves it appeared they were counting the hairs on their own noses when they looked at you.

Not everyone, mind. Just 9/10 of them! 😁  That was in Oklahoma City. Just recently moved to the land of Oz.

Dont worry about asking questions. I still do, and I’ve been uploading for 10 plus years.

These people here are a helpful bunch.

I say ya’ll, too, in conversation with people. Just not very often in the forum to all these Brits and others, for fear they’ll count the hairs on their noses when they read my text!

See, I can insult them, and they know I’m teasing. (I love ‘em)

Betty

Archived