Alamy are going to have to explain 4.11 of the new contract pretty darn quick. Specifically it now says:

caption ... does not include ... any personal details from which a living person can be identified. 

Guess the Live News service ends in a few weeks. Or have their lawyers not understood the journalistic exemptions of GDPR? 

Over to you Alamy ... 

Well I don't fancy trawling through my collection to see whose names form part of captions. The first that come to mind are those who are part of the story of the picture ie. with a relevance to the scene itself - or a picture telling the story about a non-celebrity - and I've a fair number of those.

Watch this space ..

Richard.

This is worrying as a clause.... And yes it does seem to me(not a lawyer!) that there has been some misinterpretation of what is allowed.

How are clients going to search for public figures if their names are not in the metadata?

Alamy please explain....????

Phil

20 minutes ago, Southpole said:

Does that mean the name can still go in the title or headline

no..

Any information supplied for display with any Image, including captions, keywords, Pseudonyms, agency names and descriptions only includes information that is pertaining to the specific Image itself, and does not include contact details, web addresses, Uniform Resource Locator’s (URL’s), copyright and rights management information or any personal details from which a living person can be identified.

Going to be a tricky one to work...

km

55 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

no..

Any information supplied for display with any Image, including captions, keywords, Pseudonyms, agency names and descriptions only includes information that is pertaining to the specific Image itself, and does not include contact details, web addresses, Uniform Resource Locator’s (URL’s), copyright and rights management information or any personal details from which a living person can be identified.

Going to be a tricky one to work...

km

Are you sure? Because I would think that the name of a person in a photo included in a caption when relevant may often be " information that is pertaining to the specific Image itself". But then, I don't speak fluent legalese. 

1 hour ago, York Photographer said:

What about model releases? A client can ask to see them, and identify the person in the picture from that?

"Any information supplied for display with any Image, including captions, keywords, Pseudonyms, agency names and descriptions". Model releases should be uploaded as attachments, not included in captions, keywords, or descriptions.

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

I don't understand how this new rule fits with a primarily editorial image library.  Seems more suitable for generic RF stock images.

Maria

3 hours ago, York Photographer said:

What about model releases? A client can ask to see them, and identify the person in the picture from that?

Can they?

That's not usual with agencies, as they could that way see names, addresses, maybe phone numbers and emails. That would be unacceptable to many, surely.

12 hours ago, York Photographer said:

Interesting point. Alamy's model release includes the following statement.

"I consent to the inclusion of the Model Release form including the personal details recommended in it being added to the public database owned or operated by Alamy Limited or its subsidiary"

So, by signing Alamy's model release, the model has given consent for some their personal data (name, telephone number, email and possibly ethnicity) to be stored on-line in a public database. Given the increase in sensitivity around holding personal data, it wouldn't surprise me if Alamy revise the information requested and also tighten up on the forms of model releases they will accept.

Mark

Hi everyone,

Sorry - the wording isn't clear enough from us here so we're currently re-working it and will amend it very soon.

There are journalistic exceptions to this clause where the name can be included if pertinent to the image, such as for a news story.

More soon.

Alamy

33 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I understood this to be the IPTC sections of:

Creator

Job title

Address

phone

email

website

instructions

copyright

etc

Which I have now left blank

This does not pertain to metadata on your image. It pertains to information you fill out or allow to be added to the fields once the image is uploaded "including captions, keywords, Pseudonyms, agency names and descriptions" Alamy strips most metadata from your image when it is being reformatted, before it is transferred to the buyer. 

Hi Everyone,

Apologies once again for the confusion regarding the unclear wording of clause 4.11. We've updated the wording now to make it clearer. 

You can view the updated summary of changes here: http://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor-contract-changes.asp

And the updated full contract here: http://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.asp

If you've got any questions, please email the Contributor Relations team on contributors@alamy.com.

Thanks,

Alamy

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived