Printing photos at home or in the office

4 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

West Cork in general is a great place, i love it here you just got to be careful how you speak to people because everybody is somebody's cousin down here. :D

Depends on what you are saying but be careful here as well please. I have more cousins on the Beara Peninsula than you have pictures on Alamy and the internet has arrived that far west as well (proper West Cork I would say with proper mountains, not those piddly little hills you are talking about) :D

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

You're right about the border, I think everything will stay the same.  The British - Irish relationship means the powers at be will negotiate until the border issue is sorted.

It's funny you should mention rain, it's been raining all weekend here!

It's raining here for days well on the East Anglia - East Midlands border. 

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Depends on what you are saying but be careful here as well please. I have more cousins on the Beara Peninsula than you have pictures on Alamy and the internet has arrived that far west as well (proper West Cork I would say with proper mountains, not those piddly little hills you are talking about) :D

My partner also has cousins all over Beara and West Cork, takes an age to walk anywhere with everybody wanting to chat, and the rain, just dress for it and forget about it.

12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes I told them in the bar that my great grandparent was from nearby and somebody claimed that he owed him a drink :)

What was the surname? I'm worried we might be related. 

28 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Not sure how this squares with the Brexiteer requirement to 'bring back control' of UK borders since any EU national will be able travel to Ireland and then cross the border into UK. 

I now have my Irish citizenship and am waiting for my passport. 

Apart from the rain I have an impression that Ireland is very expensive nowadays....maybe I'm just seeing that from a tourist perspective? Other than that I love it. Went to Cape Clear Island last March and that was wonderful.

Expensive - very expensive yes. I might be applying for a blue one to accompany the purple one after Brexit if things change here as well. Funny thing - the contract to produce the new British passport is rumoured to be going to a Franco-Dutch company instead of the British firm that currently produce them, a firm called De La Rue (very British name that monsieur and nothing to do with Betty I surmise).

I will avoid further discussion of the border I think. You know what happens here when things get political. 

6 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

My partner also has cousins all over Beara and West Cork, takes an age to walk anywhere with everybody wanting to chat, and the rain, just dress for it and forget about it.

Yes West Cork is one of the friendliest places I have ever been. I love the place.

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

Yes West Cork is one of the friendliest places I have ever been. I love the place.

Just to acknowledge this, if anyone is near Ballydehob at any time, contact me for my eircode and you can visit me and have nice coffee and amazing cake!

3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Just to acknowledge this, if anyone is near Ballydehob at any time, contact me for my eircode and you can visit me and have nice coffee and amazing cake!

I haven't been to Ballydehob since 1993 but I do love West Cork and especially the Beara which is wonderful. But so is Kerry.

Alan

19 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Will certainly keep it in mind if in the vicinity for sure.  I've not been out your way in a long time - usually go to Beara or further north right along the Atlantic Coast. We had planned to get to Schull a few years ago but didn't make it. No plans to get to Ireland this year yet but who knows?

13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

:D

Murray, from Oldcourt/Derrygerreen on the River Ilen just down between Skibbereen and Baltimore. They rented a house and land from Sir Henry Becher, migrated to South Wales mid 1870s ( probably as ballast!).

Probably not related then as my ancestors on my father's side are all from Beara (Murphy, Power, O'Neill) although Murray and Murphy are very similar and could be the same name if there was a mistake in translation from the Irish - Ó Murchú. 

27 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

If your in Skibb anytime this week Andy, could grab a coffee in A/B's

1 minute ago, aphperspective said:

Yes, i'll be there sunday times under the arm and a flower in the lapel:D

Nice - I'll do the secret signal (waving my arms madly above my head) :lol::ph34r:

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

Nice - I'll do the secret signal (waving my arms madly above my head) :lol::ph34r:

Waving arms madly in Skibb !!, you and a hundred others then. Looking forward to it probhably the only one in the place with with as canon camera on the table. 

1 minute ago, aphperspective said:

Waving arms madly in Skibb !!, you and a hundred others then. Looking forward to it probhably the only one in the place with with as canon camera on the table. 

And I'll have a Nikon on the table!

I haven't printed at home for 10+ years. Never was happy with their output and given the amount of wasted ink and paper, I jettisoned the Epson and have outsourced ever since with no regrets.

Not the answer you wanted - but you did ask!

'Appy Easter, people.

Richard

7 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

I haven't printed at home for 10+ years. Never was happy with their output and given the amount of wasted ink and paper, I jettisoned the Epson and have outsourced ever since with no regrets.

'Appy Easter, people.

Richard

Ditto to this. Whilst I managed to achieve high print quality - the darned thing was always running out of one ink or another at just the wrong time, gave up out of sheer frustration.
Nowadays, on the extremely rare occasion I need a print,  I upload it to Colorworld in North Shields, utterly excellent lab, who print and send it back to me in next to no time.

24 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Ditto to this. Whilst I managed to achieve high print quality - the darned thing was always running out of one ink or another at just the wrong time, gave up out of sheer frustration.
Nowadays, on the extremely rare occasion I need a print,  I upload it to Colorworld in North Shields, utterly excellent lab, who print and send it back to me in next to no time.

They're very reasonable prices! I use theprintspace in Hoxton, London. But we seem to have digressed on this thread - sorry.

19 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

They're very reasonable prices! I use theprintspace in Hoxton, London. But we seem to have digressed on this thread - sorry.

More like back on topic after the little excursion to West Cork. The main reason I print a lot of stuff myself is that I love the total control over the whole process. A colour-managed workflow with a hardware-calibrated monitor is essential, as is the willingness to spend time getting things right - that is getting to the point where what you see on the monitor is more or less what you see in the finished print. I've been inkjet printing since 1997 and it is only really since I got the Epson SC-P600 that I am totally satisfied with the incredible print quality. But it is certainly not cheaper than the labs I also use - One Vision and Loxley - which is why I can't understand where Allan is getting his prices from - now we are really back on topic. :)

2 hours ago, aphperspective said:

West Cork in general is a great place, i love it here you just got to be careful how you speak to people because everybody is somebody's cousin down here. :D

I have an Irish friend who lived here in New York for a few years and she said she did enjoy the anonymity. When I visited her in Ireland she was greeted by everybody everywhere. I had a wonderful time there. The reputation for beauty and charm is well deserved.

Paulette

17 hours ago, MDM said:

But where are you actually getting those number from?  And do they relate to photographic printing? They are an order of magnitude (x10) different from what I have experienced with every printer I have ever had including Epson1290, Canon9000, Epson SC-P600. 

The figures came from printer ink suppliers sites of which there are three and they all quoted the same.

Allan

26 minutes ago, MDM said:

More like back on topic after the little excursion to West Cork. The main reason I print a lot of stuff myself is that I love the total control over the whole process. A colour-managed workflow with a hardware-calibrated monitor is essential, as is the willingness to spend time getting things right - that is getting to the point where what you see on the monitor is more or less what you see in the finished print. I've been inkjet printing since 1997 and it is only really since I got the Epson SC-P600 that I am totally satisfied with the incredible print quality. But it is certainly not cheaper than the labs I also use - One Vision and Loxley - which is why I can't understand where Allan is getting his prices from - now we are really back on topic. :)

Like you, I worked hard getting to a point where c/w calbrated monitors/printer profiling etc etc, I was achieving WYSIWYG prints - but the cost of doing so was extraordinary! Used One Vision and Loxley (the latter did a lot of my wedding albums back in the day), but finally settled on Colorworld. Excellent quality, great software, free online sales facilities using galleries in their Imagepartner set-up, good pricing. :)

1 hour ago, Richard Baker said:

'Appy Easter, people.

Richard

Thank you for your input Richard. It is all grist to the mill.

Allan

4 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Like you, I worked hard getting to a point where c/w calbrated monitors/printer profiling etc etc, I was achieving WYSIWYG prints - but the cost of doing so was extraordinary! 

Yes it is expensive - more expensive than pro-lab prices. As was said above, printing a lot in one go is more cost-effective. 

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The figures came from printer ink suppliers sites of which there are three and they all quoted the same.

Allan

Well you know the old saying - if it's too good to be true and so on .........There is no way you will get anywhere within an order of magnitude of 160 A3 (or A4 for that matter) photographic prints from a set of 12.5ml cartridges. It is always difficult to estimate because inks get used at different rates depending on what one is printing but I would guess that I am paying £2.50-3.00 for the ink for an A4 print using Epson own ink on the SC-P600. 

You need to compare like for like in terms of cartridge sizes. If purchasing a printer, remember the razor model - don't go on the price of the printer which will become negligible in comparison to the cost of the inks over time.

Archived