Printing photos at home or in the office

4 hours ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Yes, definitely, no idea what kind of ink previous owner has run through it. I stick to OEM ink now-a-days. Did try high-end "alternative" ink on the Canon I-9900 which I in hindsight blame for it's demise. Especially when it comes to pigment inks.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on - a lot of fun. Just to be able to physically hold and feel a proper print feels rare now-a-days, almost like a privilege in this digital day and age.

Thank you for all your input Martin, very kind of you to divulge so much information.

As for actually obtaining the printer and putting it to work is a bit in the future yet as I have to further investigate my ideas/reasons for obtaining the printer.

Allan

22 hours ago, H Mark Weidman Photography said:

For about six years I owned an Epson 7900 and three or four Epson R3000 printers (they kept dying with clogged ink nozzles).  I live in a very dry climate in Colorado and actually installed a whole room humidifier in my studio in an effort to minimize the clogged Epson ink nozzles (very frequent with both printers). Very long story short when it was time to replace the two Epson printers I did a fair amount of research and went with Canons, a PRO-1000 (max 17x22") and PRO-2000 (24" wide roll paper).  The Canon printers, which are now about a year old, are absolutely fantastic.  I have never had a single clogged ink cartridge with either Canon printer.  All inkjet printers are happier when used on a regular basis and my printing on the PRO-2000 is just occasional.  Last November I was traveling for over a month and both printers sat, unused.  Upon return they both fired up and printed beautifully with no clogged nozzle issues.  Paper feeding with both Canons is superior to the Epsons.  Both printers, unlike their Epson counterparts, switch automatically between the black matte & black gloss inks; so there is no wasted inks purging the lines.  The PRO-2000 is designed such that when an ink cartridge gets extremely low you get an automated warning and you can actually change the empty cartridge while the printer is running (unless you ignore the warning and let it run dry).  The Canon inks are about the same cost as the Epson inks, maybe a tab more, but the cartridges seem to last longer than my old Epsons, though that is not a scientific measure. The ink heads in the Canon printers are user replaceable, unlike the Epsons which require a visit by a service tech to replace the very expensive print head.  I am so glad my dealer (Alex.com in midwest USA) convinced me to go with the Canon printers - the output is beautiful and I am extremely happy.

I have found the opposite - my Epson SC-P600 (2015) can be left for four weeks without printing and doesn't clog whereas my previous printer was a Canon 9000 (2008) which used to clog up frequently even with regular use so I suspect it may be a general advancement in technology rather than a general manufacturer issue. I agree about the matte black versus photo black inks with the Epson - this is a pain. I hope the next generation of Epson printers will rectify this. I have had no problems with the heads on this printer after 3 years of moderate usage. The print quality is superb from the Epson SC-P600, way better than the Canon 9000, but then this is comparing two different generations of printer. Also the Canon used a lot more ink (probably through far more frequent head cleaning) although I have never quantified this. I will almost certainly be sticking with Epson for my next printer mainly because of the print quality but that is subjective of course.

I would advise Allan not to buy an older printer and definitely not a secondhand one as inkjet printers are delicate high-precision machines with a lot of moving parts and you have no idea how it has been treated or what other inks may have been used. Desktop inkjet printers are like razors in terms of sales  - the printers are not expensive, it's the inks that you want to think about in this regard as with razors where the replacement blades often cost more than the first razor with blades. While this is not the case for printers, there is similarity - for example, the Epson SC-P600 is available for £499 from Wex wheareas an entire ink set would be not far off half this price. 

EDIT- both Allan and I live in Cambridgeshire which, although one of the drier parts of Britain, is moist and cold in comparison to Colorado.

20 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

There does not appear to be any new Pro-1 printers still for sale. One or two secondhand but I would prefer new.

Thank you for the idea though.

Allan

I bought my event printer second hand with about 4,500 prints done and it's absolutely fine.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I have found the opposite - my Epson SC-P600 (2015) can be left for four weeks without printing and doesn't clog whereas my previous printer was a Canon 9000 (2008) which used to clog up frequently even with regular use so I suspect it may be a general advancement in technology rather than a general manufacturer issue. I agree about the matte black versus photo black inks with the Epson - this is a pain. I hope the next generation of Epson printers will rectify this. I have had no problems with the heads on this printer after 3 years of moderate usage. The print quality is superb from the Epson SC-P600, way better than the Canon 9000, but then this is comparing two different generations of printer. Also the Canon used a lot more ink (probably through far more frequent head cleaning) although I have never quantified this. I will almost certainly be sticking with Epson for my next printer mainly because of the print quality but that is subjective of course.

I would advise Allan not to buy an older printer and definitely not a secondhand one as inkjet printers are delicate high-precision machines with a lot of moving parts and you have no idea how it has been treated or what other inks may have been used. Desktop inkjet printers are like razors in terms of sales  - the printers are not expensive, it's the inks that you want to think about in this regard as with razors where the replacement blades often cost more than the first razor with blades. While this is not the case for printers, there is similarity - for example, the Epson SC-P600 is available for £499 from Wex wheareas an entire ink set would be not far off half this price. 

EDIT- both Allan and I live in Cambridgeshire which, although one of the drier parts of Britain, is moist and cold in comparison to Colorado.

Thank you for your input MDM. Hope to see you (and the others in the group) a bit later this year.;)

I have checked out the costs of the Canon Pixma Pro-10S. The Canon is the same price as the Epson you have at WEX but there is a manufacturer cashback until 5th May making it £424.

The ink set for the Canon can be bought for £100 (10 cartridges) which is on a par with epson as there is 14ml ink in Canon cartridges but 25ml ink in Epson's.

The cost of ink per A3+ print works out at about £0.60 working on the least number of prints per cartridge. (To qualify that statement some of Canon's inks can print more sheets than others.) -  I Have not worked out Epson figures.

In fact I would be more concerned with the price of the paper I would be using, if I or the machine got it wrong, at £3.00/sheet.

As you have mentioned having to mess about changing cartridges on the Epson is a bit of a turn off. Whereas the Canon is ready to go regardless. And I like the idea of being able to replace the printhead myself should it be necessary.

Allan

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I bought my event printer second hand with about 4,500 prints done and it's absolutely fine.

Thank you for the information about the event printer. Out of interest I looked them up and they would not be suitable for the job in mind.

Also I do not do events, not like you mean anyway.

Allan

BTW I noted you mentioned in another thread that you are possibly moving home so I hope it all goes well and not too strenuous for you and your family.

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for the information about the event printer. Out of interest I looked them up and they would not be suitable for the job in mind.

Also I do not do events, not like you mean anyway.

Allan

BTW I noted you mentioned in another thread that you are possibly moving home so I hope it all goes well and not too strenuous for you and your family.

No probs - events isn't the only time I use the printer, I print pics for 'normal' clients, if you like.  The printer is probably the best purchase I made.

Thanks, Allan.  I'm going to move to a place called Schull, which is by the sea, very touristy and will open up more photographic opportunities.  Want to buy a house in the country?!  ;)

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

No probs - events isn't the only time I use the printer, I print pics for 'normal' clients, if you like.  The printer is probably the best purchase I made.

Thanks, Allan.  I'm going to move to a place called Schull, which is by the sea, very touristy and will open up more photographic opportunities.  Want to buy a house in the country?!  ;)

Love to but it would be probably be in England. Not that I have anything against Ireland. (He adds in haste.)

Allan

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Love to but it would be probably be in England. Not that I have anything against Ireland. (He adds in haste.)

Allan

Ah come on.  I've my own well, so no water bills.  Stirring the septic tank is a great job, one which I'm sure you'll love.  There's 2 acres of grass to mow once a week, but I'll include the ride-on in the sale, so it'll only take around 3 hours!  My office looks out onto a beautiful view, the place is very photogenic and it's very quiet.  Have I sold it yet?! :lol:

26 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Ah come on.  I've my own well, so no water bills.  Stirring the septic tank is a great job, one which I'm sure you'll love.  There's 2 acres of grass to mow once a week, but I'll include the ride-on in the sale, so it'll only take around 3 hours!  My office looks out onto a beautiful view, the place is very photogenic and it's very quiet.  Have I sold it yet?! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: NO!

Allan

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Ballydehob to Schull, should take you all of 10 minutes to move. :D

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for your input MDM. Hope to see you (and the others in the group) a bit later this year.;)

I have checked out the costs of the Canon Pixma Pro-10S. The Canon is the same price as the Epson you have at WEX but there is a manufacturer cashback until 5th May making it £424.

The ink set for the Canon can be bought for £100 (10 cartridges) which is on a par with epson as there is 14ml ink in Canon cartridges but 25ml ink in Epson's.

The cost of ink per A3+ print works out at about £0.60 working on the least number of prints per cartridge. (To qualify that statement some of Canon's inks can print more sheets than others.) -  I Have not worked out Epson figures.

In fact I would be more concerned with the price of the paper I would be using, if I or the machine got it wrong, at £3.00/sheet.

As you have mentioned having to mess about changing cartridges on the Epson is a bit of a turn off. Whereas the Canon is ready to go regardless. And I like the idea of being able to replace the printhead myself should it be necessary.

Allan

I don't know where you are getting those ink prices from and what they relate to but they are way way too cheap in my experience. Probably more like £2.50 per A4 print for ink if using manufacturer's ink and printing often so the printer doesn't use ink when cleaning the heads. The more often you print the less ink you use on average. Perhaps the altest Canon printers use a lot less ink but I doubt that. The paper is a lot cheaper especially if you bulk buy. I use Permajet papers almost exclusively now and they are excellent.

I think you are misunderstanding the bit about changing cartridges. You don't have to physically remove cartridges, you just have to set the printer to use a different black ink if changing from gloss or pearl surfaces to matt surfaces. This uses some extra ink which is the pain I referred to. 

By the time you need to replace the print head you are probably thinking about a new printer in any case. The print head on my Canon going was what inspired me to buy the Epson and I think the repacement was very expensive if it iwas even available. This may be a criterion with the more expensive lab size printers but not an issue with these desktop printers I think. 

49 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Really?  You're missing out on a great opportunity!  Shame... :ph34r:

In the words of Agnes Brown. Allan getting bored now.;)

Allan

19 minutes ago, MDM said:

I don't know where you are getting those ink prices from and what they relate to but they are way way too cheap in my experience. Probably more like £2.50 per A4 print for ink if using manufacturer's ink and printing often so the printer doesn't use ink when cleaning the heads. The more often you print the less ink you use on average. Perhaps the altest Canon printers use a lot less ink but I doubt that. The paper is a lot cheaper especially if you bulk buy. I use Permajet papers almost exclusively now and they are excellent.

I think you are misunderstanding the bit about changing cartridges. You don't have to physically remove cartridges, you just have to set the printer to use a different black ink if changing from gloss or pearl surfaces to matt surfaces. This uses some extra ink which is the pain I referred to. 

By the time you need to replace the print head you are probably thinking about a new printer in any case. The print head on my Canon going was what inspired me to buy the Epson and I think the repacement was very expensive if it iwas even available. This may be a criterion with the more expensive lab size printers but not an issue with these desktop printers I think. 

Set of 10 cartridges for Canon Pixma Pro - 10S = £100

Lowest number of prints from any one cartridge = 165

100/165 = 0.606060 Therefore £0.60

As I said earlier I picked the lowest number of prints/cartridge. There are other cartridges in the pack which will print up to 1200 or more prints before needing to be changed. Of course there are some in between these figures.

Allan

24 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As I said earlier I picked the lowest number of prints/cartridge. There are other cartridges in the pack which will print up to 1200 or more prints before needing to be changed. Of course there are some in between these figures

Allan

Trouble is that, if you don't use the printer almost non-stop, head cleaning consumes way more ink than printing does and wrecks those numbers :(

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Well i wish you a stress free move, mines in a few months, not far just from the very bottom of the village to the top. Its just that hill!!:(

That hill is horrendous!  And what's with the tree in the middle of the road?!

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Want to buy a house in the country?!  ;)

I'd be almost tempted as I Iove that part of the world. But what would my status be in Ireland after Brexit?

Alan

1 minute ago, Inchiquin said:

I'd be almost tempted as I Iove that part of the world. But what would my status be in Ireland after Brexit?

Alan

I don't think Brexit is going to have a massive effect on the Republic, there's hundreds of thousands of English people living here - I'm English, been over here since 2003.  You'd love it here!

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Set of 10 cartridges for Canon Pixma Pro - 10S = £100

As I said earlier I picked the lowest number of prints/cartridge. There are other cartridges in the pack which will print up to 1200 or more prints before needing to be changed. Of course there are some in between these figures.

Allan

But where are you actually getting those number from?  And do they relate to photographic printing? They are an order of magnitude (x10) different from what I have experienced with every printer I have ever had including Epson1290, Canon9000, Epson SC-P600. 

30 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Alan

I think it won't be a lot different from now if they can agree on the lack of a hard border which now seems to be entrenched in the latest EU-UK negotiations. There has been free movement between Britain and Ireland and the right of citizens of both countries to live and work in the other since well before both countries joined the EEC. I don't think there is any desire on either side to change things. But who knows what might happen?

PS - West Cork, specifically Beara, is my favourite place on the planet but man does it rain there - around 260 days a year or so. 

12 hours ago, MDM said:

I think it won't be a lot different from now if they can agree on the lack of a hard border which now seems to be entrenched in the latest EU-UK negotiations. There has been free movement between Britain and Ireland and the right of citizens of both countries to live and work in the other since well before both countries joined the EEC. I don't think there is any desire on either side to change things. But who knows what might happen?

PS - West Cork, specifically Beara, is my favourite place on the planet but man does it rain there - around 260 days a year or so. 

You're right about the border, I think everything will stay the same.  The British - Irish relationship means the powers at be will negotiate until the border issue is sorted.

It's funny you should mention rain, it's been raining all weekend here!

14 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I don't think Brexit is going to have a massive effect on the Republic, there's hundreds of thousands of English people living here - I'm English, been over here since 2003.  You'd love it here!

Andy is right its a fantastic place to live, i am also English and after 5 years you can apply for an Irish passport and have joint citizenship.

Andy.

14 hours ago, Colblimp said:

That hill is horrendous!  And what's with the tree in the middle of the road?!

Its 2 tree's actually and they have been a feature since fore ever, they are not the originals but have been replanted as the old die of. I think way back in the mists of time it was a hitching rail, then a small walled feature which developed into what it is now.

Archived