No Sales for 2 months

Depressing, but symptomatic of the way things are going.

I don't bust a gut to get photos, rarely up early enough for a sunrise, and generally indoors before the sun sets. I don't shoot much live news, or make many special trips for photography, the returns are not worth the cost/hassle. So I have a collection of photos that any competent photographer could assemble, nowt special.  At one time you could expect regular sales with around 3000 such images, but the numbers game has become such that, unless you have a niche market, spectacular shots, a rare talent, or regular privileged access, maybe 10,000 is the new minimum for survival. Hope I'm wrong.  I'm still selling but it's increasingly a rollercoaster ride, a one off high point of a sale a day one month, then very little the next.

Sorry to hear about your sales drought, Southpole. How were sales last year?

As Bryan says, things are getting increasingly more challenging. That said, my sales numbers stay remarkably consistent, averaging 10-12 per month. It's almost like voodoo. I'm certainly not complaining. There are much worse places to be. However, it looks looks as if I'll be hanging out on this plateau for some time to come as I'm not ready or able to add 1000's of new images every year.  Hitting that 10K survival number that Bryan suggested could take me a long time at the rate I'm going. Oh well. B)

30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

As Bryan says, things are getting increasingly more challenging. That said, my sales numbers stay remarkably consistent, averaging 10-12 per month. It's almost like voodoo. I'm certainly not complaining. There are much worse places to be. However, it looks looks as if I'll be hanging out on this plateau for some time to come as I'm not ready or able to add 1000's of new images every year.  Hitting that 10K survival number that Bryan suggested could take me a long time at the rate I'm going. Oh well. B)

Good to see you are still making regular sales here.

How you doing after the Op John, back in action yet?

18 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Good to see you are still making regular sales here.

How you doing after the Op John, back in action yet?

Thanks for asking. I've ditched the crutches and am using a cane now. Have even managed to get out and take a few pictures lately, which is encouraging. Hopefully, I'll be walking more or less normally in another month or so. It has been quite a long haul but a good excuse to fix and rework old tags, etc., something I've been procrastinating about.

Thanks for replies I am $600 up on last year so I cant complain really . Annoying that I haven't had no sales for 2 months, but thats the way stock goes. 10K of images is my this year though that wont be easy to achieve 

I haven't had a sale since the 22nd of December.  Views are extremely low, and zooms almost non-existent, yet had a fabulous year in 2017. More than doubled my sales from 2016.

Not worrying about it, as I have no power.  Have only added a few images over the past couple of months but as weather improves and I get out more, will of course be adding more.  Since stock is only added income, it doesn't send me into a tizzy, but you do find that when everything seems to be sinking in the sand, you do feel it harder to get motivate.

Jill

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Remember what I said before. 

The tide comes in, the tide goes out. Stock is like the tide.

Feels more like permanent desertification of a once fertile land. 

Archived