Live News forum

IanDavidson

May I suggest a “Live News” forum.  There are some very dedicated “full time” contributors as well as a large number of occasional contributors.  (Weather watchers?);   The requirements for live news are subtly different to stock photography.  It would also be useful to exchange tips on equipment, sources, events and similar shop talk.  It would also raise the profile of the Live News service for buyers.

• 1 month later...
On 30 Mawrth 2018 at 10:00, Sultanpepa said:

I don't see any need for a separate forum. All your questions can be asked (and answered) right here for everyone to read?

I imagine thst he was suggesting a dedicated  area for LiveNews discussion within this Alamy forum, not something separate and free standing.....

km

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

I imagine thst he was suggesting a dedicated  area for LiveNews discussion within this Alamy forum, not something separate and free standing.....

km

Gets my full support ........... the same thoughts, topics and recommendations - but dedicated to the very time conscious Live News requirements.

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

km

Ah, ok, that makes sense now. Too quick on the trigger there. My bad.

Why not start off with one (or several) threads, in "Lets Talk about pics" . 

Like a general "Alamy Live News Week 14/2018" thread? 

-and if there are specific news in need of more attention, create a separate thread for that? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2018 at 19:47, phomme said:

alamy could do like some other agencies, after 10 live news submissions you can qualify for press credentials.

I have not done any live news submissions yet although I was accepted for that upload line.

I believe that Alamy will try to help if you ask them regarding press passes to events etc.

Allan

On 4/13/2018 at 12:14, Allan Bell said:

I have not done any live news submissions yet although I was accepted for that upload line.

I believe that Alamy will try to help if you ask them regarding press passes to events etc.

Allan

Yes they have done so in the past, just that for the moment they don't issue any press ID's

11 hours ago, phomme said:

Yes they have done so in the past, just that for the moment they don't issue any press ID's

Now that is strange. Taking into account all the rumours flying about in these forums it makes you wonder what is going on.:huh:

Allan

On 10/04/2018 at 19:47, phomme said:

alamy could do like some other agencies, after 10 live news submissions you can qualify for press credentials.

On 13/04/2018 at 17:14, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I don’t think Alamy could or should issue credentials based on 10 Live News submissions, hardly the qualification for an official press pass issued through the UK Press Card Authority (UKPCA).

As Allan hints Alamy News is very good at helping with press accreditation for events if requested but that is very different from a Press Card.

A few years ago another agency, did for a fee, issue a Press Card ID which was not recognised by any of the normal authorities, UK Police etc.

Roger

19 hours ago, RogerG said:

Alamy News is very good at helping with press accreditation for events if requested

...and if you have a good track record with them of supplying sellable news images .
As was pointed out by the LiveNews editor when she came along to my recent Alamy stock photography workshop..... It is their reputation that is on the line when they request accreditation on behalf of a photographer; they need to be confident that that person can produce the standard of work they want....

km

23 hours ago, RogerG said:

I don’t think Alamy could or should issue credentials based on 10 Live News submissions, hardly the qualification for an official press pass issued through the UK Press Card Authority (UKPCA).

As Allan hints Alamy News is very good at helping with press accreditation for events if requested but that is very different from a Press Card.

A few years ago another agency, did for a fee, issue a Press Card ID which was not recognised by any of the normal authorities, UK Police etc.

Roger

Agreed. Here in New York City, NYPD wants to see published work for a Working Press Card, not just submissions, and a Working Press Card doesn't guarantee access. Generally it's intended to cross police lines. Larger events may require pre- accreditation which is probably what Live News does when they want to send a photographer.

They've helped me get accreditation a couple of times when I didn't have an assignment to get me in the door. I've found the Live News people are very helpful - I just hope they keep growing their base in the US - I've only seen my live new images licensed as secondary editorial (which is fine) the time difference seems to be an issue but it could just be that nothing I've shot caught an editor's fancy on the first go-round.

Curious how others in the US who shoot the occasional newsworthy event have done licensing via live news as actual news rather than secondary editorial? I've done better placing photos locally myself as "news" but the images do have legs here.

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Curious how others in the US who shoot the occasional newsworthy event have done licensing via live news as actual news rather than secondary editorial? I've done better placing photos locally myself as "news" but the images do have legs here.

Funny you should ask. I shot an evening event on April 3rd and uploaded some photos to Live News that night. I think it was Bryan who reported spotting one in the April 5th issue of the Times. I've been uploading to Live News since the beginning but this was probably my first, maybe second, Live New sale.

I suspect the time difference is one issue, but what's news in New York, or the US as a whole,  isn't necessarily news across the pond.

21 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Funny you should ask. I shot an evening event on April 3rd and uploaded some photos to Live News that night. I think it was Bryan who reported spotting one in the April 5th issue of the Times. I've been uploading to Live News since the beginning but this was probably my first, maybe second, Live New sale.

I suspect the time difference is one issue, but what's news in New York, or the US as a whole,  isn't necessarily news across the pond.

Congrats on the sale. Good to know. 

I suspect that most of the News photos are sent primarily  to the British rather than the American press, which is why I asked. I'm guessing you mean the Times (of London) and not our NYTimes? 

Thanks  for the info. 

12 hours ago, Marianne said:

I suspect that most of the News photos are sent primarily  to the British rather than the American press, which is why I asked. I'm guessing you mean the Times (of London) and not our NYTimes? 

Thanks  for the info. 

I've seen plenty of Alamy photos in US publications but I don't remember ever seeing Live News photos in the American press. I always presumed it was intended mostly for the UK.

6 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

I've seen plenty of Alamy photos in US publications but I don't remember ever seeing Live News photos in the American press. I always presumed it was intended mostly for the UK.

Yes, that seems to be the case. Wish they were licensing those "photo of the day" type images to the American press. But at least taking and uploading them helps me build my portfolio and they have licensed some blizzard and hurricane pix for me after the fact. B) Even sunsets.

Archived