3 hours ago, Gennadii Rybalov said:

If I'm not mistaken - Zinnia elegans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinnia_elegans

I think that you might be correct, Gennadii. Zinnia elegans could be the scientific name for the Magellan Orange Zinnia.

Mine was photographed in late summer after all the seeds had disappeared (I guess).

That's definitely an orange-colored flower of some kind . . . or maybe a vegetable. Hmm. It might be the very rare snake-eating flower of the Amazon, last seen near the third bush from the left as you enter from Brasilia. :wacko:  

Damn, I don't know! In the city here we only see flowers in shops, and they're expensive. Got any dog questions? 

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's definitely an orange-colored flower of some kind . . . or maybe a vegetable. Hmm. It might be the very rare snake-eating flower of the Amazon, last seen near the third bush from the left as you enter from Brasilia. :wacko:  

Damn, I don't know! In the city here we only see flowers in shops, and they're expensive. Got any dog questions? 

What Ed really wants to know is: can you eat it? With some lovely pasta?

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

A message from the "other forum".... from Geoff.....

can some tell John Mitchell that it's a double form of English marigold Calendula cv. Note the leaves.

Thanks for the breaking news. So I guess Geoff means this one, late in its blooming cycle?

So I'm now down to Magellan Orange Zinnia or English Marigold Calendula. Is it possible to have a show of hands?

P.S. What does "double form" mean?

I don't know a lot about flowers but when I was a little girl I helped my grandmother in our garden and she gave me my own little plot where I planted zinnias. Definitely a zinnia - not sure what type but a zinnia. 

I think double form means twice as many petals - so less like a daisy and more like a ... zinnia.

Judging by the leaves, I would stick with zinnia.  Most marigolds have just too finely cut leaves for a match.  But hey, I'm no horticulturist, so I hate to go against Geoff.

50 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I think double form means twice as many petals - so less like a daisy and more like a ... zinnia.

Judging by the leaves, I would stick with zinnia.  Most marigolds have just too finely cut leaves for a match.  But hey, I'm no horticulturist, so I hate to go against Geoff.

A double dose of petals makes sense. I'm obviously no horticulturist either. Perhaps I should just default to "pretty orange flower" or give it to Edo for pasta or salad makings. B)

P.S. The leaves do look a bit too chunky to me for a marigold. But what do I know? Not much.

Archived