Jump to content

Searching publications on the web


Recommended Posts

When searching for publications I use the following: "my name alamy" -alamy.com

 

I then do a general search, look into google images, news and books.

 

I also noticed that doing an advance search in google, changing language will give you very different results, and thus found a publication in French, for example...

 

Do you have any other tips for searching???

Edited by Michael_Jacobs
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Michael_Jacobs said:

When searching for publications I use the following: "my name alamy" - alamy.com

 

I then do a general search, look into google images, news and books.

 

I also noticed that doing an advance search in google, changing language will give you very different results, and thus found a publication in French, for example...

 

Do you have any other tips for searching???

 

Yes: no space between the - and alamy.com.

Use -alamy.com to exclude the whole Alamy site.

You are probably using it this way, but the rest of the readers who are now trying this, are not getting a very clean result.

Very good advice about the language. I have tried Japanese on occasions - with success.

 

wim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

 

Yes: no space between the - and alamy.com.

Use -alamy.com to exclude the whole Alamy site.

You are probably using it this way, but the rest of the readers who are now trying this, are not getting a very clean result.

Very good advice about the language. I have tried Japanese on occasions - with success.

 

wim

 

+1

Yes, thanks. I'd never even thought about searching using different languages! <slaps head> :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

That just brought up pages of images.

”betty larue alamy”-alamy.com

what am I doing wrong?

Do I put that in Google images or just the general search box?

 

You need a space between the " and the -

”betty larue alamy” -alamy.com

Btw I would use the quotes like "betty larue" alamy as some books have a whole section for Alamy in their credits list. So a search for "your name Alamy" will not find you.

 

wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Michael_Jacobs said:

Stokie, from what I understand from Alamy, you should wait 3 months from the date of publication and then contact the contributor relations...

 

This is a webuse by an academic site in Portugal and the image was used in January 2017. I've gone through my sales from Sept 2016 to date and I can't find a sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Matt Ashmore said:

This is my 'standard search':

 

"Matthew Ashmore" alamy -alamy.com -alamy.de

 

I filter out alamy.de as well as alamy.com

 

Clever.

However Google somehow does not pick up many from the Alamy.de site in my case.

Is that different for you?

For others?

- I know I can do the same search, but Google does tailor it's results a lot.

 

wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

 

Clever.

However Google somehow does not pick up many from the Alamy.de site in my case.

Is that different for you?

For others?

- I know I can do the same search, but Google does tailor it's results a lot.

 

wim

 

I do find 5 or 6 turning up so decided to just start filtering them out. It tends to depend on where I am when I run the search though. If I am in the office at work, our corporate gateway to the internet is in Amsterdam so Google seems to want to return lots of dutch links (even though I have google.co.uk set as my default search engine and have configured Chrome not to do country based redirection). If I search from home, the results are slightly different as I live in the UK and my home interent connection joins the internet in the UK.

Edited by Matt Ashmore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Yes: no space between the - and alamy.com.

Use -alamy.com to exclude the whole Alamy site.

You are probably using it this way, but the rest of the readers who are now trying this, are not getting a very clean result.

Very good advice about the language. I have tried Japanese on occasions - with success.

 

wim

 

Cheers Wim, very helpful! Just found a few more uses (all reported), which is great.

 

And one I wish I'd rather not found (in some ways), pic was used by GEO Magazine,  acquired for the stately sum of $8.33 with quantity discount, and in the text they got the location wrong, despite the caption, keywords and "location" field all having the correct location. Not so geo -savvy, it seems, or perhaps reading is optional for journalists these days. Oh, well. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I don't understand how changing the language in advanced search helps - it doesn't affect 'Alamy' or your name.

Or do you mean you normally restrict the language for most searches?

 

In the case of Japanese Google searches Japanese sites it otherwise ignores.

I was able to find a cover and some pages in nice books on architecture.

 

wim

 

edit: I started looking because I have had quite a lot of sales to Japan from the Japanese distributor.

Edited by wiskerke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you

41 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

 

In the case of Japanese Google searches Japanese sites it otherwise ignores.

I was able to find a cover and some pages in nice books on architecture.

 

wim

 

edit: I started looking because I have had quite a lot of sales to Japan from the Japanese distributor.

So you translate the search terms into Japanese characters? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

So you

So you translate the search terms into Japanese characters? 

 

Lol!

No, but the one from my link may have been found through Google Images.

The architectural ones came from a general Google search. In those books, most credits were given in western script.

Like Michael I use General; Images and Books. News is seldom relevant for mine.

 

wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another source for print magazines is issuu.com.  Go into the site and type in (in quotes) "your pseudonym Alamy" in the search box.  In my case  it's "John Richmond Alamy".  It will identify any magazines that have been uploaded to Issuu that have that combination.  Open the magazine and use the find facility on the display to show the actual words on the pages and positions they occur.  

 

I'm not sure which publishers use Issuu - there seems to be a fair few complete magazines on there that soon disappear so maybe not uploaded by the owners - but it's worth a try to find some of the print uses that will never show up on the net.  Good for screenshot tearsheets as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Another source for print magazines is issuu.com.  Go into the site and type in (in quotes) "your pseudonym Alamy" in the search box.  In my case  it's "John Richmond Alamy".  It will identify any magazines that have been uploaded to Issuu that have that combination.  Open the magazine and use the find facility on the display to show the actual words on the pages and positions they occur.  

 

I'm not sure which publishers use Issuu - there seems to be a fair few complete magazines on there that soon disappear so maybe not uploaded by the owners - but it's worth a try to find some of the print uses that will never show up on the net.  Good for screenshot tearsheets as well.

 

There are some more like these, but not all have a search function. Or not anymore, because AFAIK they have all had one.

www.ink-live.com  travel - mainly the in-flight magazines we all love. No search engine for the whole site, but each magazine is clickable and within each magazine there is a search box and really often Alamy images are being used - with full credit.

uk.zinio.com  and us.zinio.com  and nl/zinio.com  and so on.

www.scribd.com still offers  a search box, but very little turns up anymore. Works well with your name/pseudo.

www.pressreader.com   formerly www.pressdisplay.com .

Yudu http://www.yudu.com  used to give access to magazines like this one,

But I don't see it anymore, maybe they have moved everything to the apps? Or just went behind the paywall of each client.

 

The strange thing is that searches with Google like  alamy  site:ink-live.com or alamy  site:yudu.com don't really work. Suggesting that the Google bots are not allowed to pass the various pay walls either. Really stupid if you ask me.

 

wim

Edited by wiskerke
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.