Hi all

I have just ordered the Sony a6500+E 18-105mm f4 G OSS Lens (Christmas treat) this will take the place of my now dated Nikon D7000. what I would like to know is will I need any new software to help with processing of images in lr4 and can anyone recommend another lens for street photography and a good quality lens for wildlife plus any tips on general settings.

Many Thanks

Liam  

Great camera you have bought yourself.

I just bough Sigma 18-35mm for my D7500 and I love it, very sharp and think it would be great for your street photography.

You get it with Sony mount also.

For processing images you could use Adobe DNG converter and convert your images to .dng if you still want to use LR4.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's not supported until LR6.8 or CC

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

You could convert to TIFF and process that in LR4 at some inconvenience.

Converting to DNG will give you a workable RAW.

There's a free Adobe app for that.

That page has the download plus good instruction.

wim

31 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

There is an option to convert to dng when importing to lr4 would this not be OK 

Maybe someone who's familiar with LR could answer that.

I would say that when your version of LR offers to convert your RAW file, it supports the format, so it's an unnecessary step.

wim

22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Another point to consider with Sony a6500 and other later Sony bodies is to buy an take a few batteries when you go out.

Allan

I don't know about other Sony cameras, but I find the batteries for my RX100 II last quite well, especially considering having to use the LCD screen.  I do always take extras with me though.  It's a real downer to be out there and watch the battery croak and you don't have a charged one ready to throw in.

Jill

4 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Cheers Allan, are they that bad?

No not bad, just not as long lasting as what you are used to.

It all depends on your shooting rate and wether you use continuous shooting a lot.

Allan

On 25/11/2017 at 12:39, Liam Bunce said:

Hi all

I have just ordered the Sony a6500+E 18-105mm f4 G OSS Lens (Christmas treat) this will take the place of my now dated Nikon D7000. what I would like to know is will I need any new software to help with processing of images in lr4 and can anyone recommend another lens for street photography and a good quality lens for wildlife plus any tips on general settings.

Many Thanks

Liam  

Congrats, lovely camera, enjoying mine

I upgraded my copy of LR (can't recall if it was 4 or 5) to LR6 in order to cope with the more recent cameras. Not sure if it is still possible to do this, as Adobe much prefer to hook you with their pay monthly deal. I struggled to find the way to do it at the time, but it was possible. You might have to contact Adobe directly to see if this is still possible, as, credit to the company, it is (was?) a good deal.

I would have thought that the 18-105 lens would be great for street photography. Can't fully recommend the Sony 55-210, it's Okish but nothing special. 

I'd love to be able to fit my old Sigma 100-300 f4 Canon fit full frame lens for occasional use, it's far too heavy to cart around every day, but, having checked,  Sigma's adapter doesn't accommodate it. I could live without auto focus, but I do need to be able to adjust the aperture.

Not on your list, but I do quite like the Rokinon 12mm f2, get the focus right and it's sharp. CA can be a problem, but largely fixable in LR.

If you're looking for a fast standard lens, the Sony 35mm f/1.8 is very nice. Good results even wide open and sharp across the frame by f/4.

I find that I can get very good results with the Sony 55-210 if I choose the focus point carefully -- i.e. if I use "flexible spot" AF. It took me awhile to figure this out. The 55-210 is nice and light as well. Contrast suffers at the long end, but that is fixable in post-processing. Too slow for serious wildlife photography, though, but the price is right. It's fine for chasing squirrels...

western-gray-squirrel-sciurus-griseus-si

Archived