Sensor wet clean

I recently acquired a used A7r which is in need of a sensor wet clean. There's a few large spots that the camera shake and indeed a blower can't remove. I'm aware that the shake mechanism of the camera needs locking down and how to do it. I'm also fairly comfortable with wet cleaning sensors as I've been doing this for some years on both Canon and Leica cameras ( without doing any damage). 

What I can't seem to establish is the swabs and fluid that are considered safe. I've always used isopropyl 70% with Invisible Dust orange swabs and wonder if anyone can advise from experience what they use. 

Thanks

p.s. No Sony outlet within miles from my home. 

Conflicting reports on that. Still no conclusive answers I'm afraid.

I use Eclipse, which afaik is isopropyl alcohol, but the last bottle I have says just methanol.

Sony seems to have warned against Eclipse somewhere.

However Photosol (=Eclipse) has this update on its website.

wim

I was under the impression that ethyl alcohol was preferable to isopropyl alcohol for cleaning computer cable connections. I don't think I'd want to use either one on a sensor.

Plenty of photo supply shops sell kits for cleaning sensors but I have no idea what might be in the cleaning solution. If you don't have a shop nearby you could get one online.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sensor-Cleaning/ci/18805/N/4077634546

Hi Wim

yes, I saw that thread. I don't like Eclipse having used it in the past. Visible dust fluid is so/so. Works wonders on my Canon, rubbish on the Leica. Isopropyl (so far) at 70% has an element of water rather than the pure 100% version, which has proven to be a lot easier and gentle. However, this Sony sensor does  seem rather picky. 

9 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

I was under the impression that ethyl alcohol was preferable to isopropyl alcohol for cleaning computer cable connections. I don't think I'd want to use either one on a sensor.

Plenty of photo supply shops sell kits for cleaning sensors but I have no idea what might be in the cleaning solution. If you don't have a shop nearby you could get one online.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sensor-Cleaning/ci/18805/N/4077634546

I first latched on to isopropyl following an exchange with Leica who use it exclusively and recommend it as a safe product. So far, so good, and I've done a lot of wet cleaning with it. But, this Sony sensor does seem delicate. 

I've always used a Digipad kit for my Sonys and it has Eclipse fluid. APS-C, though.

The original Digipads company's prices seem to have rocketed lately though. There are others but their fluid is in a plain bottle so it's impossible to tell what it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digipad/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_8459193031?ie=UTF8&node=8459193031&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Digipad

7 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Don't you think it's all just smoke and mirrors regarding fluids. I have limited experience with wet cleaning but I tend to think it's all about marketing.

Quite possible. The biggest problem of course is when a wet clean is necessary, just what to use. 

I plucked up enough courage to clean the A7r sensor this morning using Isopropyl and a Visible Dust green swab. I locked the sensor. Three drops of fluid, a few seconds to soak in, wipe one way, turn the swab to the dry side and wipe back. F16 against a deep blue sky and a perfectly clean sensor. 

Phew! 

7 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Quite possible. The biggest problem of course is when a wet clean is necessary, just what to use. 

I plucked up enough courage to clean the A7r sensor this morning using Isopropyl and a Visible Dust green swab. I locked the sensor. Three drops of fluid, a few seconds to soak in, wipe one way, turn the swab to the dry side and wipe back. F16 against a deep blue sky and a perfectly clean sensor. 

Phew! 

I'm using the full frame kit from VSGO www.51vsgocom (remove space) Managed to clean residue left from a gel stick that I tried, first time too.

I just did my D750 with one of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01B0TO8UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 using the liquid that came with the kit and it worked wonders. Best spit and polish I have ever done. I always had pretty weak success with the DIY approach (pure methanol and pecpad) so from now on I will use these. The link will take you to amazon canada but you can probably find the same thing elsewhere.

Colin

5 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I just did my D750 with one of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01B0TO8UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 using the liquid that came with the kit and it worked wonders. Best spit and polish I have ever done. I always had pretty weak success with the DIY approach (pure methanol and pecpad) so from now on I will use these. The link will take you to amazon canada but you can probably find the same thing elsewhere.

Colin

Yes, try this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UES-Full-Frame-Cleaning-Solution-Cleaner/dp/B01B0TO8UC

I recently revisited an image taken with a Canon 5D, a dust bug horror story, not quite as bad as cleaning up an old negative scan, but horrendous compared to what I have become used to with the crop frame Sony CSCs. I don't know why these exposed sensor cameras appear to be less susceptible to dust than some DSLRs, but I'm thankful for small mercies!

Archived