First Personal Use Sale

Depends possibly on the subject. I've sold quite a large number of PUs with no refunds, mostly of people taking part in events. I assume the purchasers are the subjects, looking for snaps for their albums.

1 hour ago, TABan said:

I don’t allow PU sales. And a couple of months ago someone actually contacted me for a print of an Alamy image, which I sold her. Much better than PU.

How did they contact you? I thought our information was not available to buyers.

Jill

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Carl, in the past year I've had 8 PU sales and one refund. The 7 sales were all for $19.99 so came to $139.93. 

Edo

I appreciate some contributors have issues with how genuine a PU can be, but to my mind the cumulative value as per Ed's illustration shouldn't be sniffed at. There are far worse rates, sadly, for other licenses

I worked my way through university in a paid position as a photographer on the school newspaper.

Selling PU prints to students and faculty who appeared in the newspaper was a part of my income. In fact I would slew the news coverage to get as many individuals in an image as possible. Never two if three would do. A glee club with a 100 members would be a big money maker.

I would think Alamy news images would be ideal for Alamy PU.

6 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

In fact I would slew the news coverage to get as many individuals in an image as possible. Never two if three would do. A glee club with a 100 members would be a big money maker.

I believe so. When I attend a sports event I purposely try to catch clean images of as many of the athletes as possible. It makes for long hours of research tagging each of their names but in the long term it seems to be paying off. PUs and other uses of people further down the 'card' all add up, and who knows where the next Mo Farah may come from?

None refunded here either, but I average only about one PU sale per month.

I've really had only one odd experience with PU sales. A couple of months ago, someone licensed an image for PU use on Alamy, and a few days later a large print (60 inches) of the same image was ordered through a POD site where I have a lot of images. I of course made a much larger profit from the POD sale. It could have been just a coincidence,  but I have to wonder if the two sales weren't related.

1 hour ago, Bill Brooks said:

I worked my way through university in a paid position as a photographer on the school newspaper.

Selling PU prints to students and faculty who appeared in the newspaper was a part of my income. In fact I would slew the news coverage to get as many individuals in an image as possible. Never two if three would do. A glee club with a 100 members would be a big money maker.

My experience while working for newspapers was similar. I'd often get requests for prints, sometimes more than I could fill. Most of them were people who had seen themselves in the paper and wanted a print.  Not all that long ago I got a request for a photo I'd shot 20 years ago  from a woman who had participated in a march and must've googled it. About a month or two ago I was contacted by a woman who recognized herself in a photo I posted on Instagram. 

I always wonder who buys PU images on Alamy. Obviously they're not always people who appear in the photo.

After Alamy removed a bunch of mural images of mine, I took note that several that sold were PU. I considered shutting down my PU option but thought better of it. Glad that I didn't. The change I did make was to be careful not to shoot street art and murals without including some street life in the frame.  

Edo

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

After Alamy removed a bunch of mural images of mine, I took note that several that sold were PU. I considered shutting down my PU option but thought better of it. Glad that I didn't. The change I did make was to be careful not to shoot street art and murals without including some street life in the frame.  

Edo

Likewise. I'm more careful with murals now. Still not a big fan of PU, but they add up after awhile.

MOAN ALERT: turn away now, if you're sensitive!

Sorry, but having had no sales as yet this month :( (and thus not having enough spare dough to justify a Friday night bottle of vino - now I'm really in a mood :angry:), I felt justified to reawaken this sleeping giant.

I've just found two Alamy image licenses dating back to May and July.  One licensed as PU for a UK Tech website (most likely by the Web developer) and the other licensed for presentation use by an automotive business for use on their Facebook page.  The irony being for this second one is that the suggestion is that this company is doing the work shown in the image, when in fact it's another (very well known) national automotive company.  I'm almost tempted to stitch them up to that company and glory in their suffering.

E-mails off to Alamy tomorrow.  I've only just started to submit my first cases to Pixsy, but I'm getting so totally fed up with this bloody nonsense - I'm really going to have to put more time into where the real money is!  Sorry, just getting really cynical: I should have bought that bottle of wine...

Archived