Should I delete similar news images once in stock

Just like many other news contributors I submit a lot of shots from the same location month in month out.  Occasionally some of the news images will get taken as stock months down the line.

So - if I have say 100 pictures of location X,  and around 20 might look different, should I get rid of the other 80 ? - will it put people off browsing the images for stock later on.

regards Simon

I have a similar situation, and what I usually do is go back through the originals, choose the best, tweak them if need be, upload them as stock and delete the news ones - which I will have normally already have switched to my 'news' pseudo. If time doesn't allow, then I still prune the news images just to avoid overkill

Hi Geoff,

Thats kind of what I've been doing. What I'm not sure from a  buyers perspective would be if they're looking for a picture of say St Michaels Mount, and they see 30-40 very similar ones from me if they can be bothered to wade through them all, or they see something completely different from someone else they go for that.   I had a phone conversation too some time ago and wasn't really any wiser.   I did do a quick search through Keiths starling images, and from what I could see there were a lot of similar ones still up.

If you're around Keith, what do you reckon, or is that giving away too much :-)

Simon

Personally I don't understand why some photographers upload a hundred or more images to Live News. Most newspaper editors I've worked with prefer to see a tight edit, especially if they're on deadline. Somewhere in the contributor pages Alamy recommends no more than 5 similars. If you can delete 80 out of a hundred images without losing the essence of what the story's about then you're probably uploading too many. Why not edit it down to your best images and save yourself and editors a bit of time?

16 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Personally I don't understand why some photographers upload a hundred or more images to Live News. Most newspaper editors I've worked with prefer to see a tight edit, especially if they're on deadline. Somewhere in the contributor pages Alamy recommends no more than 5 similars. If you can delete 80 out of a hundred images without losing the essence of what the story's about then you're probably uploading too many. Why not edit it down to your best images and save yourself and editors a bit of time?

I'm not talking about uploading hundreds of pics on the same day, what I mean is the same location ( maybe 2-5 pics ), but keep on re-visiting every week / month etc. Geoff is right in the past I've uploaded what I thought was the best pics but soon learned a lesson to upload a variety of different shots from a shoot and let the editors decide - allowing them to crop as they want is important, as I've been guilty ( and still am ) of cropping to close. My first decent front page picture was a crop of a landscape to near portrait pic.

Only images with at least 5 tags will be searchable once the initial news period is over. What i'm intending to do now is to upload news images with no tags at all (they're not needed for news anyway), and then only add the 5+ tags to a smaller sub-set of the images to make them 'live'

km

17 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Time is the key thing when shooting news.....If i had more time i'd file fewer photos....
And remember, not all the images coming in to LiveNews actually go out to the desks.......

km

On 7/28/2017 at 18:17, Avpics said:

I have a similar situation, and what I usually do is go back through the originals, choose the best, tweak them if need be, upload them as stock and delete the news ones - which I will have normally already have switched to my 'news' pseudo. If time doesn't allow, then I still prune the news images just to avoid overkill

That's what I do. Upload them quickly with minimal editing as news photos. Then over the next few days pick out the best ones for stock, put a bit more effort into processing them and upload them again, deleting the originals.

As Keith says above, if you don't add tags to your news images, they are deleted immediately without having to wait in limbo for six months.

The vast majority of my 'news' sales come from old news used as stock sometimes months or years later (portraits of MPs, tennis players etc) and I think it's worth putting more effort into making them saleable.

Some of the technically less good ones that might not get through QC can be left and annotated.

LiveNews images with no tags aren't deleted after 48 hours....they just are no longer appear in the database (it seems.....certainly they are flagged in AIM as being 'not for sale')

But really.....don't make a mountain out of this....there are better things to do with one's time

km

I uploaded some live news photos a few months ago when I was traveling and forgot to go back and add keywords. Much later, when looking through photos, I was surprised to find my news pictures on sale without keywords in place. I hadn't thought it was possible. 

11 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

What would be useful is if the name credit which gets added was deleted as the images go to the main stock. I'm not the only one who shares a name with a place or profession or product. 

I don't know about you, but I usually construct a caption which includes everything in all of the images in the news set, plus some additional explanational fluff which I wouldn't normally include. This results in images having key words within the caption which don't actually appear in that image once they go to stock, so if I'm leaving them it's important to edit each image down to remove everything but that which is applicable - especially as captions still seem to be a heavy weight in the search engine

16 hours ago, GS-Images said:

The part I put in bold isn't actually the case. I mentioned that in a reply here but have had no response. If you do not tag them and also DO NOT DELETE them, they will still go to stock. They sometimes also go on sale, but sometimes seem not to - This is why I asked about it earlier, as I wonder if there has been a change in that very recently. On 4th July 2017 I uploaded quite a lot of Live News and didn't tag any of them, but they all went to stock and were searchable, just as many in June did too. Some Live News I uploaded more recently (past week or 2) show as NOT for sale. So it is as if something has changed in their system.

Geoff.

They aren't automatically deleted, but if you chose to delete them before the 48hrs are up (that's long enough for 'live' news) they just disappear rather than wait 6 months - in my experience, unless something has indeed changed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue.  I shoot in Downing Street, normally two days a week.  One day to get cabinet ministers leaving cabinet and one day to get pictures of the Prime Minister.  To quote an earlier comment, if I had mote time I would post fewer pictures.  I edit and send them from Downing Street and often on review would have used different pictures.

i do not delete the cabinet member it PM pictures as I sometimes have a sale if a cabinet minister is in the news (tip of the hat to Boris Johnson).  However, I do wonder if I should??   

I guess much of the same can be said of demonstration pictures.  I have covered a few WaSPI demos, but the campaign is in the press a fair bit, to delete or not to delete, that is the question? 

Archived