trash vs. upload

Guest Stockfotoart

I would say around 10% end up being uploaded.  By the time I filter out similars, images that just don't say anything, and the ones that won't cut it with QC, I have pared myself down quite a bit.  I don't wait a long time as I do mostly street photography and capture as I go.  With time constraints, I rarely go out simply to shoot images.  Most of my images are taken where I happen to be.

Hoping for some day to have more time to dedicate to strictly shooting.

Jill

It really depends on the subject. 

From 1% when I'm shooting performing arts such as dance to 5% for anything else. 

I shoot too much. I don't delete in camera as I find it makes my card slower and I dump all my RAW files on a hard drive. And when I run out of space, the dance images are the first that I cull. 

I upload about 25%, delete the rest before shifting to my backup HDs. I don't spray and pray so I don't have a lot of similars. But I do take the same scene zoomed in, then out, or different angles if possible.  Vertical, horizontal when I actually remember to get a vertical.  Usually two of each. Keep the sharpest or the most straight. While those are similars in a way, they are different.

Betty

I'd say about 25% get uploaded here on average, but I'm what you would call a "low-volume" photographer these days. I don't generate piles of images.

I'm fairly patient, so I'll hang around waiting for a "perfect" moment. Much of the time. it never comes along, though. ;)

6 hours ago, arterra said:

I'm really surprised about the very low percentages that survive :blink: 

So why on earth do you press the shutter so many times (unless you're machine-gunning to capture the right pose of fast moving subjects)? :huh: 

Cheers,

Philippe

Since I use a consumer camera and lenses (with the odd opportunity of using an L lens) I can't be sure all shots will come out perfect, especially when using the telephoto at its 250mm setting.  I will take a number of images from different angles, etc and then filter out the best (hopefully).  Just when shooting the flyboarding championships a couple of years ago I probably took almost 1000 shots during the day.  Ended up uploading around 40.  I don't delete in camera as there is lots of room on the sd card so why waste the time while out?  Easier to judge in Bridge or ACR.

Jill

I'll wait a few minutes for to maximise the shot but I don't normally hang around more than 20 mins unless it's wildlife. Even then I don't normally have that kind of time to waste. Normally it's stop car, get out, run back, grab a couple of shots then back to the car, drive and repeat. If I have a day to myself then usual I'll park up and go for short walks. When it comes to uploading I'll choose the most interesting and technically correct images to upload and even if all were good I wouldn't normally upload more than three of the same subject unless they had something different to offer. Therefor my percentage uploaded is probably low. I'm not even going to try calculating it. There's no return for that effort. ;) I never delete in camera because as someone else pointed out, they all look crap on the camera LCD. I select after viewing at 100%. 

On 6/29/2017 at 23:40, arterra said:

I'm really surprised about the very low percentages that survive :blink: 

So why on earth do you press the shutter so many times (unless you're machine-gunning to capture the right pose of fast moving subjects)? :huh: 

Cheers,

Philippe

I assume the question is directed at me...

Most of my current shooting happens in the studio. I tend to "dial-in" the shots. Roughly, it goes like this: I start with a picture in mind, put camera on a tripod, place the props, adjust their position, place and adjust the lights (size and position), gobos, reflectors, re-adjust the props, camera and lights. Take shots along the way, checking histogram and thumbnails on camera's LCD. Last thing, I take several shots bracketing the focus. For simpler shots or shots with the same styling but different props, the process is greatly sped up. At the end, I keep the two last final RAW files (2nd is a back-up if the first gets corrupted), process the best RAW to tiff in LR and PS. The rest of the shots are erased, they are useless.

GI

In general I click until I know I have a good one. Then I click some more to see if there's a better one. And I stop when it becomes clear there will be no better one coming.

Deciding what to do with it can take a second or years. I've become agnostic in this.

wim

Interesting to read the various different approaches.

I think that it depends to a degree on the type of subject, I've learnt that it's always a good idea to grab a shot even if conditions are not perfect, as I may not get another opportunity. In many instances I can go back and wait for better light or a different pattern of movement or whatever and take some more shots. I think that you always need to be aware that your competitors will face the same difficulties, e.g north facing facades, the wrong people  etc, and the perfect shot is not always possible.

I tend to delete in camera, if time allows, as I hate the task of selecting between images in LR, it takes for ages as I tend to fill the available time with procrastination.

What % of shutter ops gets uploaded, maybe 10%, but I have never done the maths.

Archived