Zooms from views ratio

This is a little disturbing in my case ( I think). Prior to the big December shift (aka Alaxit) my ratio was c. 1-100 but now I'm seeing 1-250, i,e, CTR getting a battering (similar to the UK pound). It's wonderful to see ones images elevated, as has been my situation, but it's working against me. Or is it?

How are you finding things post Alaxit?

I can't see how the December changes could make any difference on your zoom to view ratio.  You are getting the views, that is all Alamy can do.  Why buyers are not zooming yours like they used to not sure.

Jill

I can't see how having images in the first few pages can harm you.  I have had increased sales since my images have moved up in rank.  I seem to notice that when looking at the number of images a buyer views, quite often they rarely go past the first two or three pages. Are you seeing this?  Or are buyers searching your type of images looking at a lot more of them?

Jill

I can't see how having images in the first few pages can harm you.  I have had increased sales since my images have moved up in rank.  I seem to notice that when looking at the number of images a buyer views, quite often they rarely go past the first two or three pages. Are you seeing this?  Or are buyers searching your type of images looking at a lot more of them?

Jill

Both cases. I'm seeing perhaps a ratio of 80% of my views in the lower regions, I.e. 100 views

My average CTR has improved significantly. Since the change I've had at least one zoom each month, which was not the case before. Of course that could be coincidental, and most of my zooms don't become sales anyway. We don't know if CTR even matters anymore, so the increased visibility (number of views) may be the more important factor.

This is a little disturbing in my case ( I think). Prior to the big December shift (aka Alaxit) my ratio was c. 1-100 but now I'm seeing 1-250, i,e, CTR getting a battering (similar to the UK pound). It's wonderful to see ones images elevated, as has been my situation, but it's working against me. Or is it?

I've seen this type of behaviour. When my ranking was low, my images only came high up in more specific searches which returned fewer images (for example when the customer used multiple keywords). Because fewer images were available, the chances of a zoom of one of my images were increased.

When my ranking jumped up, I saw a significant increase in views, but often within very broad searches (e.g. single general keyword). So my image was often shown amongst many hundreds and the search result wasn't a very precise match (1 word searches often aren't) so my CTR went down.

Over the years I've seen an oscillation. As rank improves, views go up, but CTR goes down. Then at the next rerank my ranking goes down (due to low CTR), so views go back down, but CTR then goes back up.

That's my logic anyway. :wacko:

I've seen this type of behaviour. When my ranking was low, my images only came high up in more specific searches which returned fewer images (for example when the customer used multiple keywords). Because fewer images were available, the chances of a zoom of one of my images were increased.

When my ranking jumped up, I saw a significant increase in views, but often within very broad searches (e.g. single general keyword). So my image was often shown amongst many hundreds and the search result wasn't a very precise match (1 word searches often aren't) so my CTR went down.

Over the years I've seen an oscillation. As rank improves, views go up, but CTR goes down. Then at the next rerank my ranking goes down (due to low CTR), so views go back down, but CTR then goes back up.

That's my logic anyway. :wacko:

This has been my experience as well.

Paulette

I see the problem of a lack of zooms being down to the wrong images appearing before the right ones. This is due to supertags having lower weight than tags, and words within phrases still appearing in results.

There are some ways I can force certain images to appear higher when the subject in that particular image is searched for, but often I can't do that unless I intentionally mess up the tags.

The result is that I get the views, but not always of the image that is most appropriate to the search.

Geoff.

This is very much my experience too. Add to this the considerable weight on words in the caption which is causing some images to appear higher in a given search than similar images with the same word supertagged.  very often, words in a caption are there to convey additional information about the main subject, not to be treated as a keyword in itself.

Overall the number of views I have seen has plummeted since December but when I do get a high number of views it is too often images which I don't consider to be the best for that subject. I'm having to edit the captions on my old images to try and remove  words which provide secondary information but can be misleading when treated as a keyword. 

I see the problem of a lack of zooms being down to the wrong images appearing before the right ones. This is due to supertags having lower weight than tags, and words within phrases still appearing in results.

There are some ways I can force certain images to appear higher when the subject in that particular image is searched for, but often I can't do that unless I intentionally mess up the tags.

The result is that I get the views, but not always of the image that is most appropriate to the search.

Geoff.

Geoff, are you saying supertags are the wrong way to go? On many of my images I've made a concerted effort to have 10 supertags. I'll have to change that, should you say I'm doing it completely wrong.

Colblimp - I haven't checked this in the last couple of weeks because I've given up with Alamy until things are settled, but in all my testing before I proved that supertags carry less weight than tags.

However, I don't recommend you change the way you're tagging, as I hope things will someday be fixed. Alamy haven't been open with us about this so we don't know if or when things will change. So it's up to everyone to judge for themselves what's best for them. Personally I'm making barely any changes or tagging new images as I've already wasted far too many hours on this, and at some point, any changed I make may well have to be changed back again. So I'm spending most my time elsewhere now.

Alamy say to follow their guidelines, and I won't suggest you do anything else. Hopefully in the end doing that will be best.

Geoff.

Thank you, appreciate your reply.

I'm doing mine as Alamy suggests. It's working out fine. 10 super tags on each image, that is if I have 10 worthy of supertagdom. :D

Make sure your captions are good and the best of your tags are included.

I'm putting location in all captions where it might be important, such as my local wildlife, city shots, etc. even if only "Oklahoma, USA."

Betty

I see this as being analogous to a control system, e.g. the speed of a machine. You have a set point or speed that is required and the control system reacts by increasing the speed if it is too low, or reducing if too fast. Unfortunately this simple system will overshoot in both directions, you need to examine the rate of convergence to bring about stability (a PID control - for those who know about these things).

I'm not sure that the Alamy algorithm is that sophisticated, with the result that you get to be promoted beyond your competence, which then brings a hit to your CTR, and a slither back down the pack!

This morning (Italy-Europe) i just refreshed my dashboard as i usually do several times in the day to check sales and zooms/views.

My views are 3k less zooms 4 less than yesterday, last time i checked this was about 9pm.

Did you notice the same?

Is it an April fool :)

Did you by any chance add a load of tenuous keywords as a result of the new "requirements"?  This would clearly result in more views but almost certainly less zooms.  Views up, CTR down.  

Did you by any chance add a load of tenuous keywords as a result of the new "requirements"?  This would clearly result in more views but almost certainly less zooms.  Views up, CTR down.

No. I deleted a lot of duplicates in fact.

This morning (Italy-Europe) i just refreshed my dashboard as i usually do several times in the day to check sales and zooms/views.

My views are 3k less zooms 4 less than yesterday, last time i checked this was about 9pm.

Did you notice the same?

This would be because you have switched to a new month, so its April to April instead of March to March.

Jill

Did you notice the same?

This would be because you have switched to a new month, so its April to April instead of March to March.

Jill

Jill, you were right!

My fault... :)

Archived